When The G Starts To Get Based Out Of C.I.....

Sea Beach

The (G) will be based out of C.I when it gets cut to Court Sq and extends to Church Ave. I know for sure it will defidently run R68's,but does C.I have enough to fill up the (G) 100%? If not,will it run 160's. And will it be coverted from IND Crosstown to BMT Crosstown?

It wont be converted to BMT at all, cuz the crosstown line is still IND just like the Culver, crosstown connects to Queens blvd. Just cuz its going to CI doesnt mean it will be BMT. As for extending to church, that depends also on the profit of the (MTA) , the (MTA) is planning, it didnt say it will i believie. I rly hope the (G) wont get cut back, cuz CI is already housing (:)(D)(F)(N)(Q)(W) which is a lot...

They should increase service not cut it back.

Also, coney island is a big yard, but... 7 lines? What if something happens? You lose the (G), which would actually help the emergency situation in its current configuration. Change it, and you're just asking for something to go wrong.

- A

Why would the (G) be based out of CIY? As of right now it is cut back to Court Square and on weekends, trains run lite to Church Ave to relay. I don't see any problem with trains running lite from Jamaica Yard to Court Square, also they can store about 8 (G) trains at the Church Ave Yard (each of the 4 lay-up tracks can hold 1 600' train). Is there any proof that the (G) will be based out of CIY or is this just speculation?

Why would the (G) be based out of CIY? As of right now it is cut back to Court Square and on weekends, trains run lite to Church Ave to relay. I don't see any problem with trains running lite from Jamaica Yard to Court Square, also they can store about 8 (G) trains at the Church Ave Yard (each of the 4 lay-up tracks can hold 1 600' train). Is there any proof that the (G) will be based out of CIY or is this just speculation?

The (G) is still based out of Jamaica,but soon it'll be based out of CI and

extended to Church Ave.

I don't think the G should have R68s. I guess if the G is CI based then it will have to run a car type that CI services. R68 or R160. But can at least some of the R68s be transferred to Pitkin?

I know that line equipment is yard-based but MTA car assignments are insane. You have part-time lines like the W running R160s, shuttles running R68s, and your primary lines running R42s, R32s, and slants. At least major lines that run the old equipment like the E and F have some R160s and are getting more each week. The A won't get them. So, the next most recent gen can go to the A, a yard transfer is doable. I just can't get excited about the G getting R68s while there are higher ridership lines that can use the reliable and smooth R68.

Why go all that distance, can't they just turn the trains on the express tracks south of Smith-9th?

They turn trains at Church Av whenever the (G) is OPTO. I guess it's easier to turn around there than at the express tracks? I don't really know. I've mostly seen this on weekends. Other times, they turn the (G) at 4th Av-9th St.

It wont be converted to BMT at all, cuz the crosstown line is still IND just like the Culver, crosstown connects to Queens blvd. Just cuz its going to CI doesnt mean it will be BMT. As for extending to church, that depends also on the profit of the (MTA) , the (MTA) is planning, it didnt say it will i believie. I rly hope the (G) wont get cut back, cuz CI is already housing (:)(D)(F)(N)(Q)(W) which is a lot...

ok,thats good it'll remain IND.

and why does the (:)(D) get housed at CI,it has Concourse yard.

They should increase service not cut it back.

Also, coney island is a big yard, but... 7 lines? What if something happens? You lose the (G), which would actually help the emergency situation in its current configuration. Change it, and you're just asking for something to go wrong.

- A

They should increase it,but they dont have the money.

Well,if the (:D(D) just stayed at Concourse yard,CI wouldnt have a problem housing the (G).

Even though it can relay at Church,it still needs a house,lol.

Its gonna happen when it gets extended to Church Ave.

The (G) is still based out of Jamaica,but soon it'll be based out of CI and

extended to Church Ave.

yes it will,and will also run R68's and maybe an R160?

I don't think the G should have R68s. I guess if the G is CI based then it will have to run a car type that CI services. R68 or R160. But can at least some of the R68s be transferred to Pitkin?

I know that line equipment is yard-based but MTA car assignments are insane. You have part-time lines like the W running R160s, shuttles running R68s, and your primary lines running R42s, R32s, and slants. At least major lines that run the old equipment like the E and F have some R160s and are getting more each week. The A won't get them. So, the next most recent gen can go to the A, a yard transfer is doable. I just can't get excited about the G getting R68s while there are higher ridership lines that can use the reliable and smooth R68.

I agree,Pitkin should have some R68's to retire the R32's and 42's on the (A)(C).

They should just leave the (G) at Jamaica and continue to run 46's.

Coney Island only maintaines cars on the (:)(N)(Q)(W). the (D) train cars are maintained at Concourse while cars on the (F) are stored in Jamaica.

once it gets extended to church avenue, the (G) will be closer to Coney Island to Jamaica. it can run light on the Culver Express track without interruption to (F) service, unlike on the Queens Blvd Line.

i believe some R68/68As will be transferred from Coney Island to Pitkin/207th Street once the R160 Option II cars are delivered and the (Q)(W) becomes fully R160s. does anyone believe me? no!

Why go all that distance, can't they just turn the trains on the express tracks south of Smith-9th?

I'm not really sure, but I think Church Ave. has a crew room. Since this would be the same route used by the (G) when it's southern terminal does become Church Ave. I don't see the need to change it as it seems to work the way it is.

There are many rooms at Church Ave. that people don't see. On the north bound local, there are many rooms in the tunnel that are crew rooms. One of the greatest features of the IND was that when built many stations had crew rooms not only for train crews, but for MoW crews too. I still don't see the reason for the (G) to be based out of CIY since they will have to run lite through Stillwell to get into the yard. Is the change that the (G) will be a CIY fleet or is it that most of the trains needed for (G) service will be stored at Ave. X but still shopped at JYD?

There are many rooms at Church Ave. that people don't see. On the north bound local, there are many rooms in the tunnel that are crew rooms. One of the greatest features of the IND was that when built many stations had crew rooms not only for train crews, but for MoW crews too. I still don't see the reason for the (G) to be based out of CIY since they will have to run lite through Stillwell to get into the yard. Is the change that the (G) will be a CIY fleet or is it that most of the trains needed for (G) service will be stored at Ave. X but still shopped at JYD?

It makes a lot of sense. If it runs light to Jamaica, it will interfere with either the expresses or the locals. However if it runs light to Coney Island (via the express track), there would be less disruptions than to say running light to Jamaica Yard.

i believe some R68/68As will be transferred from Coney Island to Pitkin/207th Street once the R160 Option II cars are delivered and the (Q)(W) becomes fully R160s. does anyone believe me? no!
Chances are at minimal since the G has a chance of getting full sets R68As after the line is extended to Church Avenue. I'm sure that all 25 full trains of R68As are able to cover the G, while the R68s are shared between the B and D. Even though the R179s are debutting on Queens Blvd, the option orders that would wipe out the R46s would eventually go on the A. Most of the Options IIs are going to Queens Blvd to move the R46s from the F to the C, and retire the R32s. Only a small percentage are going to CI since the W is getting eliminated and there would be enough trains to fill the Q. Also, it wouldn't make sense to run the R160s on the G.

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with talk of retiring R46s and where R179s will debut. R46s will be in service for quite a bit longer and R44s will be retired before R46s. If R46s are housed at Coney Island, the G should continue to use them. If not, I guess it's R68s.

Here's an idea...

why not send the (F) to Jamaica and the (G) to CI? it seems like the (F) is based out of both of those yards (I might be wrong so correct me if I am) and it doesn't need both of them.

The (F) is based out of Jamaica,F trains coming out of the Av X tracks are stored there.

Archived