Aging bus fleet limps along

mark1447

Yesterday at around 7:20, I saw a RTS get towed. I work at Waterside Plaza and I can see the first stop on the M16. I came outside to take out the garbage, I see bus 8985 and I see a tow truck in front of it. I was going to take a picture of it, but my phone was charging.

I'll take a 15 year old Orion V over a brand new Orion VII. I detest low floor buses.

I agree,is to bad that the mta can't buy high floors buses because they can't afford wheelchair lifts.

Wait till you all get old, and arthritic. You'll appreciate those low floor buses. If you need a hover round (echo...hoover round-hoover round), you'll appr4eciate them as much. Don't want everyone looking at you as if you are the cause of them being late, cause you wanted to get on the bus with your hoover round-hoover round (say it like an old goat), and now the lift don't want to work. At least with low floor, if the lift don't work, driver just gets up, and lift the lift open. Wham, bam, thank you mam, simple as one two three (unless you are from the hood, then 1-2-3 is like calculus, and algebra).......

Based on the data, buses age much faster than subway cars. This is caused mostly by the environmental factors (including the road surface etc...), right?

That and the fact that these buses aren't built like the old fishbowls, and MCI-8, 9's, and 10's. Those old dawgs were built with rivets. They were built for NYC streets. To be honest, I bus foamed in my mind a few days ago, day dreaming of buying a new fishbowl, with red plush vinyl seats, Red around the outside edges (like Tri-Boro), with red wheels, great A/C, and of course a Cummins engine (identical to the Bee-line 600-700series). OMG, I would be the fishbowl man..........

That newspaper is hilarious. It says bus operators are worried about older buses. I know about 15 from Kingsbridge and most of my buddies down there could care less about the age of the fleet, just that the bus puts bread on the table.

DOB2RTO, that means you too. Even though you're a member once removed.

That newspaper is hilarious. It says bus operators are worried about older buses. I know about 15 from Kingsbridge and most of my buddies down there could care less about the age of the fleet, just that the bus puts bread on the table.

DOB2RTO, that means you too. Even though you're a member once removed.

I've only heard one KB B/O complain about the state of the KB buses and that was because he got stuck with 491 which had absolutely no suspension. No one outta KB cares because the only way they'll get a new bus is if they go to another depot.

Archived