R160s On The (D)

I Think that the (:) and (D) should get some R160s cause its really crappy sometimes and theres never that much space on the (D). When i come out of school its rush our so its really crowed on the trains mostly on the (R)(W) and on the (B)(D). From 34st to 47-50sts the kinda empty (B)(D) trains get filled up...by alot of people...and there are many people who ride the(D) to 145st and than tranfer to the (B) to The Bronx(rush hours). Maybe with the R160s it'll be more space

I Think that the (:) and (D) should get some R160s cause its really crappy sometimes and theres never that much space on the (D). When i come out of school its rush our so its really crowed on the trains mostly on the (R)(W) and on the (B)(D). From 34st to 47-50sts the kinda empty (B)(D) trains get filled up...by alot of people...and there are many people who ride the(D) to 145st and than tranfer to the (B) to The Bronx(rush hours). Maybe with the R160s it'll be more space

Concourse, AFAIK, will not receive any R160s. The R68s are staying put.

Trust me, the E is more crowded than the D at any hour. So the D is working fine with the R68s.

Well At Least One Know What i mean. One for the (:) and one for the (D) i mean ppl in the Bronx need something new to

New? The R68s are relatively modern subway cars.

If you want to see old trains look at 8th Avenue. The Bronx has lots of new trains on the A division. The (E), yes, it has R160s, but it has been running R32s for most of the last 18 years and now it is at least 60 percent R40M/R42. The newest the (A) can do is some recently added R46s. Not bad trains but certainly have been in service for quite a while. And on 6th Av. the (F) was running a good amount of R32s up to a few days ago. The R32s are 45 years in service.

The (D) is fine. There's some crowding, but as MTR said, it's nowhere near as bad as the (E), where you can't breathe sometimes.

The B will continue to operate a motley of R68 and R68A. There is no need for the B and D to get R160s.

they already have the R142/142As on the (2)(4)(5)(6). how new do they want? though my prediction is the (D) will get R179s so some of the Concourse R68s will go to the (A) and replace the R44s.

Concourse does not need R179s when they come.

The R68s would stay in Concourse, while the R68As would stay in CI until their last days. They are much more comfortable than the R160s and they run as if they are brand new. The R179s would debut on Queens Blvd to bump over the rest of the R46s, but would eventually end up on the A when the R46s get replaced.

The R68s would stay in Concourse, while the R68As would stay in CI until their last days. They are much more comfortable than the R160s and they run as if they are brand new. The R179s would debut on Queens Blvd to bump over the rest of the R46s, but would eventually end up on the A when the R46s get replaced.

That can happen. But who knows, perhaps the R179s will directly replace the R44s by running on the A.

i feel stupid cause idk whats a R44 or R46 i olny know the R160 cause i herd sum one say it

It is not a good or respectful way to respond using the way as if you were on AIM or email, etc., R179 is a proposed car, and if Concourse does get R160s, it won't be only one set, it'll be a large batch.

A proposed subway car, it will be 75 feet long with 5 doors per side, supposedly. They are slated to retire the R44s. Rumour has it that, additional orders will replace the R46s.

trust me,with the crisis with the MTA,im sure the R179 will be delayed,enough to go replace the R68's in 2022,i dought these subway cars will ever come until 2016-2020

That doesn't sound right. The SIRT R44s and the A's R44s will be replaced before Jamaica's R46s or Pitkin's R46s.

trust me,with the crisis with the MTA,im sure the R179 will be delayed,enough to go replace the R68's in 2022,i dought these subway cars will ever come until 2016-2020

Well man, I'm not going to sound pessimistic. The current situation sucks, but let's not look back to the 1970's.

Wow i neverknew that...so wht do they have R1-R160 and everything in between

Not really. For awhile the R, for revenue, trains were going more or less in order. But today there are big jumps in trains designated for revenue service.

In service today are R32, R40 slant and R40 Mod, R42, R44, R46, R62, R68, R142, R143, and R160. What's inbetween are work trains and other types of equipment.

R142 and higher are New Technology Trains. R142 is an A division car, R143 and R160 are very similar and are B division cars.

R44, R46 and R68s are 75 foot trains and are B division cars.

R62 is an A division car introduced in the early 1980s.

R32, R40, R42s are 60 foot cars and are referred to often as SMEE for their brake systems.

You can go to nycsubway.org for a wealth of info and pics about the MTA's rolling stock.

OHH I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPEN IN THE 1970'S

The President told the city to either go to hell or drop dead. The transit authority had a policy of "deferred maintenance". The rolling stock was full of grafitti, there was high crime in the subway, derailments were common, and it was a dark, ugly time.

Things are way better now than they were then. Looking at the 60s, 70s gen trains (R32, recently retired R38, R40, R42), it's amazing that so many survived that time. The GOHs (rebuilding the trains) in the 1980s helped a great bit.

If you go to NYCSUBWAY.ORG you will learn all this and more. They have and article about the TA in the 70's and you should read it. You will learn alot from the site, more then you will learn by asking here everytime you read something you don't know about.

If you go to NYCSUBWAY.ORG you will learn all this and more. They have and article about the TA in the 70's and you should read it. You will learn alot from the site, more then you will learn by asking here everytime you read something you don't know about.

Concur. NYCSubway.org is a great site. I easily get lost in it when I got a few hours to burn.

Archived