R160s On The (D)

The President told the city to either go to hell or drop dead. The transit authority had a policy of "deferred maintenance". The rolling stock was full of grafitti, there was high crime in the subway, derailments were common, and it was a dark, ugly time.

Things are way better now than they were then. Looking at the 60s, 70s gen trains (R32, recently retired R38, R40, R42), it's amazing that so many survived that time. The GOHs (rebuilding the trains) in the 1980s helped a great bit.

You think only (NYCT) had it bad then? We all most lost all pax rail in the us. Stuff was seriously dire.

- A

There used to be a site called nycrail.org. That was a great site, but had mostly modern stuff and was the in-term message board between subtalk and subchat. On nycsubway.org, they have links to other great sites, from this and years of observation and a copy of the rule book, I have gained a ton of knowledge.

trust me,with the crisis with the MTA,im sure the R179 will be delayed,enough to go replace the R68's in 2022,i dought these subway cars will ever come until 2016-2020

Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous. The R44's cannot last until 2022, R46's, maybe. And the R68's wouldn't be replaced in 2022, they would only be 35 years old. If they retire at 40 years that will be 2027-2029. But, I think the R68/R68A could last up to 50 years (around 2037) because of how well they were maintained throughout their lives. Think about it, if the R32 lasted 45 years, and went though all of that abuse in the 70's and early-mid 80's, the R68/A's would last longer than that. They are still performing very well and will most likely continue to do so.

R32's - Retired @ 44-45 years

R38's - Retired @ 43 years

R40's - Retired @ 42-43 years

R42's - Retired @ 40 years

All of those cars went though hell, but the R68/A's, won't.

Think about it, if the R32 lasted 45 years, and went though all of that abuse in the 70's and early-mid 80's, the R68/A's would last longer than that. They are still performing very well and will most likely continue to do so.

R32's - Retired @ 44-45 years

R38's - Retired @ 43 years

R40's - Retired @ 42-43 years

R42's - Retired @ 40 years

All of those cars went though hell, but the R68/A's, won't.

All of the above equipment was rebuilt.

Regarding the 68s, or any other car, you can not predict the future.

Archived