West trenton line thread

metsfan

Hey, this is the thread i decided to make which can contain anything from yardley :septa: station to bound brook/newark on the west trenton line.

A lot of station buildings are still there, some the structure has deteriorated too much and was demolished, but the parking areas, and remnants of platforms are still there.

Post any photos, stories, historical information such as timetables or station hours etc!

Hopefully (NJT) will re-activate this line soon. If so, i will be coming to NYC WAY more often!!

- A

Like I said in the other thread there are more important projects than this one.

The more important projects are,

MOM: the traffic where I live is ten times worse than anything along the West Trenton Line, we have alternatives that can be built rather quickly and with out having to deal with a freight railroad. This should be priority number 1 once the ARC project is complete.

Lackawanna Cutoff: this one already got the ball rolling once again, especially since in a recent article they have Obama's blessing not to mention NJT already started the expansion.

Phillipsburg: This has been a goal of NJT for a long time to get back there, especially after dropping the service. There are three alternatives to get there for the most part, two of which would deal with NS and one using an old DL&W branch.

Then there is West Trenton: The West Trenton line would be a great line to have but it needs alot of work not to mention the other projects I mention are far more important. The problems are this is a heavy freight line and I'm sure CSX does not want to have to deal with more pesky commuter trains. A flyover would have to be build at the junction where the line meets the Lehigh line and both sides don't want to pay for it, NJT wants to cross at grade while CSX wants this flyover for both safety and to make things less hectic. Only time will tell though with what happens with this line. Another thing that might be a problem is for the most part the line is single tracked with CSX building some more pass sidings, but if this ever gets done there may be a need to triple track so there is always at least one track open to freight.

Like I said in the other thread there are more important projects than this one.

The more important projects are,

MOM: the traffic where I live is ten times worse than anything along the West Trenton Line, we have alternatives that can be built rather quickly and with out having to deal with a freight railroad. This should be priority number 1 once the ARC project is complete.

Lackawanna Cutoff: this one already got the ball rolling once again, especially since in a recent article they have Obama's blessing not to mention NJT already started the expansion.

Phillipsburg: This has been a goal of NJT for a long time to get back there, especially after dropping the service. There are three alternatives to get there for the most part, two of which would deal with NS and one using an old DL&W branch.

Then there is West Trenton: The West Trenton line would be a great line to have but it needs alot of work not to mention the other projects I mention are far more important. The problems are this is a heavy freight line and I'm sure CSX does not want to have to deal with more pesky commuter trains. A flyover would have to be build at the junction where the line meets the Lehigh line and both sides don't want to pay for it, NJT wants to cross at grade while CSX wants this flyover for both safety and to make things less hectic. Only time will tell though with what happens with this line. Another thing that might be a problem is for the most part the line is single tracked with CSX building some more pass sidings, but if this ever gets done there may be a need to triple track so there is always at least one track open to freight.

Dumb question: What is the "MOM" and Lackawanna Cutoff?

Assuming one of the projects runs near Interstate 80, after the new Hudson River tunnel is bulit, IMO the next urgent project for NJT Rail is this. Bulidng some type of extension of the Dover(Midtown Direct)line out to/near the Pocons at least to the Del. Water Gap area on the Pa./NJ border.

I-80 is a parking lot worse than even the LIE now 7 days a week from a driver's point. Even if the LIE is 'busy' coming for example from the Hamptons you can use Route 27/Sunrise Highway as alternative to/from NYC.

I-80 has 'none' other than the slow Route 46. Many people now moving to Sussex County and the Pike Counties areas.

Please explain. Thanks in advance.

Dumb question: What is the "MOM" and Lackawanna Cutoff?

Assuming one of the projects runs near Interstate 80, after the new Hudson River tunnel is bulit, IMO the next urgent project for NJT Rail is this. Bulidng some type of extension of the Dover(Midtown Direct)line out to/near the Pocons at least to the Del. Water Gap area on the Pa./NJ border.

I-80 is a parking lot worse than even the LIE now 7 days a week from a driver's point. Even if the LIE is 'busy' coming for example from the Hamptons you can use Route 27/Sunrise Highway as alternative to/from NYC.

I-80 has 'none' other than the slow Route 46. Many people now moving to Sussex County and the Pike Counties areas.

Please explain. Thanks in advance.

The lackawanna cutoff leads from near bound brook nj to track in pa that could be used to bring pax trains to pocono mtns. Another bit of track leads to philipsburg/easton. I believe both of these routes are connected to the :rvl:.

- A

The lackawanna cutoff leads from near bound brook nj to track in pa that could be used to bring pax trains to pocono mtns. Another bit of track leads to philipsburg/easton. I believe both of these routes are connected to the :rvl:.

- A

No it doesn't... The Lackawanna cutoff is no where near Bound Brook.

The Lackawanna cutoff starts at Port Morris. A line does go from Port Morris to Philipsburg as well. Bound Brook plays no role what so ever.

No it doesn't... The Lackawanna cutoff is no where near Bound Brook.

The Lackawanna cutoff starts at Port Morris. A line does go from Port Morris to Philipsburg as well. Bound Brook plays no role what so ever.

Oh i know, i meant that the west trenton line & phillipsburg/easton connection are both related to the :rvl:. I was just confusing the 2 lines by accident.

Some times i am too tired to be posting stuff & should just go to sleep. :cool::(

What i MEANT to say is the west trenton line and the line to philipsburg are related to the :rvl:, the west trenton line diverging near bound brook, and the lackawanna cutoff is related to the :me::mbl: line, and diverges near lake hopatong.

Sorry for my previous mumbling confused post! :o

- A

Oh i know, i meant that the west trenton line & phillipsburg/easton connection are both related to the :rvl:. I was just confusing the 2 lines by accident.

Some times i am too tired to be posting stuff & should just go to sleep. :cool:B)

What i MEANT to say is the west trenton line and the line to philipsburg are related to the :rvl:, the west trenton line diverging near bound brook, and the lackawanna cutoff is related to the :me::mbl: line, and diverges near lake hopatong.

Sorry for my previous mumbling confused post! B)

- A

HAhaha ok no worries :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, all. New member and first time poster here.

I came on this site when trying to find the most efficient way from the North Philly suburbs to points in NJ as well as NYC.

Anyone know why there is no service between West Trenton and Trenton? It seems very odd to have a feeder from the N. Philly suburbs so close to Trenton Stn., then main NJT hub in S. Jersey, and not connect them. From what I can tell, the tracks exist (or come pretty close). Info and insights appreciated.

Thanks,

EaglesFan

The route that branched off from WT to Trenton is ripped up in Trenton Proper. One thing that people always bring up is extending the RIVER Line to West Trenton. I am all for this but the Trenton branch is not intact in some places as I mentioned so a new ROW(Right of Way) may be needed. I don't know the exact date but at one point in time there was a terminal in downtown Trenton for passengers who would transfer to another train at West Trenton.

Reactivating the West Trenton Line should be the last project on the agenda. It was discontinued in the 80s specifically b/c of low ridership. Basically NJT would drain precious money if the ridership is still as low as it was.

Agreed lets do projects that actually go through areas that have real traffic problems(MOM) or will have ridership(Lackawanna Cutoff). I will say though that a light rail extension to West Trenton needs to be done that way people can use the R3 and still get to NYP, it also means there would be less of a demand for WTL service via the RVL. Everyone gets what they want..sort of.

In the 80's people didn't commute from the :septa: R3 wtl served area to NYC. Now they do, in the tens of thousands. It would take cars off the roads (especially rt 1) and lessen a bit the choking burden on the :nec:.

I now regularly see 3-4 standing room only trains leave nwk every day. It used to be 1-2.

I am one of the few people on this forum to see the whole picture from :septa: to (NJT) to PATH to (MTA) -every day-. Growing number of riders = good. Packed trains so crowded people end up standing for 45 minutes = bad.

- A

Hello, all. New member and first time poster here.

I came on this site when trying to find the most efficient way from the North Philly suburbs to points in NJ as well as NYC.

Anyone know why there is no service between West Trenton and Trenton? It seems very odd to have a feeder from the N. Philly suburbs so close to Trenton Stn., then main NJT hub in S. Jersey, and not connect them. From what I can tell, the tracks exist (or come pretty close). Info and insights appreciated.

Thanks,

EaglesFan

To answer your question, which area of North Philly are you from? If you are anywhere remotely close to Northeast or Eastern Bucks, the R7 to Trenton is the most direct way to connect with service to NYC - if you are close to anywhere near Doylestown, there is direct bus service provided by Trans-Bridge Lines into New York via Hunterdon and Somerset Counties in NJ - from middle-Bucks County, there is bus service by Capitol Trailways from Willow Grove, PA. In all other circumstances, if you are looking to go to NY from anywhere in Greater Philadelphia, the long but more flexible option is traveling down to Center City and taking any number of the transportation options available to you (i.e. BoltBus and Megabus from 30th Street, Megabus/Eastern Travel or Greyhound from Center City, Amtrak or SEPTA R7 to NJT in Trenton).

Hope this helps.

This won't help the choke on the NEC at all this just adds more chaos to it...ARC needs to be built and the NEC needs more added capacity before any projects can be done, remember NJT does not own the NEC Amtrak does.. Your not the only one who rides the train every week here, some of us use it as our preferred way to get to a job or to class. I live in this state and I will tell you where we need more rail service and West Trenton is not important if Pennsylvanians need service so bad then why did they let SEPTA discontinue service? They actually provided the Equipment originally for it not NJT. NJT should be focused on projects that benefit NJ such as MOM or expanding the River line or giving South Jersey more rail service, not what folks in PA care about. Its called NEW JERSEY Transit for a reason.

You know i think (NJT) could use more P40DC for the lc, wtl, etc in addition to the alp-45's. Since the PL42AC's are not living up to their expectations, (NJT) could sell them and use the money to get more P40. Radical, i know, but... If 40 year old locomotives are used to retrieve malfunctioning 3 year old PL42AC..... Maybe they should do something bout it. I mean i'm not being a foamy exaggerator here, they have issues, and are not (in my opinion) up to the stringent quality standards that (NJT) seems to embrace on the majority of anything they do. We must face facts. These lines reach far away from the MMC and hudson protect, and (NJT) needs (and us as passengers deserve) reliable equipment. :tup:

- A

Yes the PL's have their problems but they are getting better, not to mention Amtrak is beginning to use some of their P40's again so I all that would be left is the junk ;). I agree with you though looking back on it, it would have been smarter to buy the genesis units.

The reading closed its doors due to financial problems. Conrail/NJDOT closed the line due to low ridership, but that was the case because the reading had reduced its availability on that line as it focused on its pennsylvania operations. The :septa: R3 today could easily become the R7 of tomorrow. The reason i say this, is because demand for rail service there has gone through the roof. Both our senators, and our local state rep want not only more funding for :septa:, but more "handshake" of :septa: and (NJT) services along the delaware crossing connection points. State representative Steve Santarsiero has pitched a connection bus service to :septa: that would link cornwells heights, yardley, and newtown, to trenton, hamilton & princeton jct. I talked to him about using both ultra low sulfur diesel hybrid, or CNG busses for this service.

I think sometimes people forget that the priority of these projects does not end at the state line. I mean as i said i ride from :septa: in levittown to (NJT) in trenton to PATH in newark to (MTA) & back again.... If the wtl was re-activated, i could go to a train station 5 miles away vs 15 miles away to do this same shuffle. I could walk there....

I of course understand that NJ has its priorities within NJ, but the region is not isolated state by state.

WTL is more of a priority for the region, vs just NJ. If :septa: had the money i am sure it would have taken over re-activation & formed a joint transportation type situation.

We are still recovering from decades of neglect, improper funding, , some poor management, and people being scared away from trains because of continuously reduced service. WTL re-activation represents a serious step towards where this whole country should be in terms of mass transit & rail transportation.

If this project is worked on by both PA and NJ, other projects in other parts of the country will see that it can be done, things can be restored, improved, brought back to life and encourage other projects, be it top down or grass roots effort.

Just yesterday i smiled at the CONNDOT trainsets as i wandered through GCT... Imagine if those only stayed in CT!

- A

Archived