List of cuts and hikes for LIRR....

Homeslice

(Taken from MTA site; includes a bit on the MNRR.)

Commuter Railroads - Effective June 1, 2009

Fare changes by MTA Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and MTA Metro-North Railroad (MNR) for New York State service include the following:

Increase full fare one-way, full fare ten-trip, weekly and monthly tickets fares to/from Manhattan/LIRR Zone 1 stations/Hoboken from 23.4% to 28.7%

Intermediate full fares for LIRR and MNR East of Hudson service will increase from 17.7% to 29.5%; however, any increase of more than 29% is no more than $.50 per ride. Intermediate full fares on MNR West of Hudson service will increase from 21.4% to 71.5%. The increases for some child/senior/disabled fares may vary slightly from these percentages.

New Haven Line fares to NY stations will increase in stages.

Increase the on-board fare differential to up to $6.50 from $5.50.

CityTicket fares will increase from $3.25 to $4.00; family fare price increases from $.75 to $1, and to $2 on board trains, except on the New Haven line.

Reduce the Mail & Ride fare discount on the railroad portion of the joint Monthly Commutation/Monthly Unlimited Ride MetroCard from 5% to 4%.

Senior citizen/disabled person/child fare discount policies and other Mail&Ride/WebTicket discounts remain unchanged

-------

Eliminate weekend service on West Hempstead Branch

Reduce weekday off-peak and weekend service on the Port Washington Branch from half-hourly to hourly

Eliminate service to Belmont Station except for Belmont Stakes day

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This is absolutely unacceptable, I'm not liking any of this at all. And as someone who commutes into the city (to work at a job where I'm not getting a raise anytime soon, if at all), I'm not looking forward to paying upwards of $70 more for my commute. :mad: :tdown:

• 2 weeks later...

(Taken from MTA site; includes a bit on the MNRR.)

Commuter Railroads - Effective June 1, 2009

Fare changes by MTA Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and MTA Metro-North Railroad (MNR) for New York State service include the following:

Increase full fare one-way, full fare ten-trip, weekly and monthly tickets fares to/from Manhattan/LIRR Zone 1 stations/Hoboken from 23.4% to 28.7%

Intermediate full fares for LIRR and MNR East of Hudson service will increase from 17.7% to 29.5%; however, any increase of more than 29% is no more than $.50 per ride. Intermediate full fares on MNR West of Hudson service will increase from 21.4% to 71.5%. The increases for some child/senior/disabled fares may vary slightly from these percentages.

New Haven Line fares to NY stations will increase in stages.

Increase the on-board fare differential to up to $6.50 from $5.50.

CityTicket fares will increase from $3.25 to $4.00; family fare price increases from $.75 to $1, and to $2 on board trains, except on the New Haven line.

Reduce the Mail & Ride fare discount on the railroad portion of the joint Monthly Commutation/Monthly Unlimited Ride MetroCard from 5% to 4%.

Senior citizen/disabled person/child fare discount policies and other Mail&Ride/WebTicket discounts remain unchanged

-------

Eliminate weekend service on West Hempstead Branch

Reduce weekday off-peak and weekend service on the Port Washington Branch from half-hourly to hourly

Eliminate service to Belmont Station except for Belmont Stakes day

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This is absolutely unacceptable, I'm not liking any of this at all. And as someone who commutes into the city (to work at a job where I'm not getting a raise anytime soon, if at all), I'm not looking forward to paying upwards of $70 more for my commute. :mad: :tdown:

I admit i dont ride the West hempstead branch often but i always thought weekend service on that LIRR line was not needed. The Hempstead, 'main line' and the Babolyn lines are all nearby.

Or drive or take the N15 or N31/32 buses to/from Hempstead which parell the W Hempstead line.

On other hand all of the LIRR cuts planned are awful. The Pt Washington line really needs 30-minute service at least on Saturdays until 10pm. Add in the Mets crowd too.

I admit i dont ride the West hempstead branch often but i always thought weekend service on that LIRR line was not needed. The Hempstead, 'main line' and the Babolyn lines are all nearby.

Or drive or take the N15 or N31/32 buses to/from Hempstead which parell the W Hempstead line.

On other hand all of the LIRR cuts planned are awful. The Pt Washington line really needs 30-minute service at least on Saturdays until 10pm. Add in the Mets crowd too.

Nah, its needed, trust me. Not everyone out there has a car.

- A

Especially since the tracks are electrified and stuff.

And even if West Hempstead service wasn't needed for those who like to take the bus anyway, people won't want to take the LI Bus anymore when Doomsday happens. I know I won't. And the Senate and Albany.....just doesn't seem to give two craps.

Just answer it, is the train tracks electrified or not when there is no service?

Are the tracks electrified or not when there is no service?

They will shut off the power to that section, but regardless, it's not going to be safe at all. Just walk on a normal sidewalk or drive. Why would you walk on a ROW? Besides it's technically trespassing. You're trespassing onto LIRR property. Even if it is "abandoned" it will still be LIRR property.

Just like you can't enter an abandoned NYCT station, you can't enter LIRR property with legal consent.

But, how come I can walk on LIRR tracks in Montauk, Long Island? The station people told me it is fine to walk over the tracks...

Fine, they gave consent. But they were watching you, so that was fine. But if a certain track is shut down, regardless of the circumstance, if you do not have permission and you walk on them, you are bound to be prosecuted for trespassing.

It's not all walking distance. You don't get it, do you?

A lot of people along that line would be flat-out stranded. Especially Westwood since it has no bus service anywhere near it. And with Doomsday, people won't WANT to take the bus either.

Archived