Mass Transit options for new Yankee Stadium and Citifield.

Shortline Bus

Thanks to this crappy ecomony and those of us 'fournate' enough to attend any Mets/Yankees game at their new ballparks wanted to start a new thread on mass transit getting there.

Citifield

Subway service

For now i hear the "willets point-shea stadium' name on the (7) will remain. the MTA refuses to call stops with coporte names aka "Mcdonalds' "Citifield' etc.

Personally i would respect the MTA deicison and just name that station "Willets Point-Flushing Meadows.'

The LIRR did change their old Shea station stop to "Mets-Willets Point' station.

LIRR

Basically same service as in ears past, Pt Washington trains stopping at the Mets station starting 2 hours before the game and service ending 90 minutes after the ballgame is over.

For New Yankee Stadium

Subways

I am sure 99% of you guys are aware that you take the (:)-weekdays only (D) and (4) to the 161st Street station.

via MNRR

Easiest way is to the Hudson Line train to new "Yankees-East 156th St' station.

My brother who works for MNRR has told me by Early-May or sooner(it wont be ready for the home opener)the new "Yankees' station will open. Also due to separte 'tile and station rehab' work on couple upper Hudson Line stations, a revsed schdule will start on May 3rd that includes Hudson Line service to new station.

"Local' Hudson River trains to/from Croton Harmon will stop at this 'new' station year-round 365 days a year giving riders service to Western Westchester County service around every 20-30 minutes during rush hours and every hour all other times.

The "express' aka Poughkeepsie trains i hear (correct me guys if i am wrong)according to my sources, will only stop at "Yankees' station on game days/nights from about 90 minutes before game time-1 hour after the game.

New Haven and Harlem Valley(Brewester-White Plains)lines.

Shuttle trains will operate between GCT and Yankees station every 20 minutes starting 2 hours before game and 1 hour after the game.

Any other comments? I personaly think that the nearby Melrose station on 163rd St(Harlem Valley/New Haven lines) should have also been fixed and expanded so that riders from eastern Westchester, Fairfield and other locations on those 2 lines have an easier ride to new Yankee Stadium and could connect via a 'shuttle bus'. What you think.

Subway service

For now i hear the "willets point-shea stadium' name on the (7) will remain. the MTA refuses to call stops with coporte names aka "Mcdonalds' "Citifield' etc.

Personally i would respect the MTA deicison and just name that station "Willets Point-Flushing Meadows.'

Wrong, the stop will be changed to Mets - Willets Point. The MTA did offer the Mets naming rights to have the station named "Citi Field - Willets Point" but the Mets passed on the offer, though there weren't really any formal meetings.

Wrong, the stop will be changed to Mets - Willets Point. The MTA did offer the Mets naming rights to have the station named "Citi Field - Willets Point" but the Mets passed on the offer, though there weren't really any formal meetings.

Oh ok my bad. Thanks for clearing it up.

Thanks to this crappy ecomony and those of us 'fournate' enough to attend any Mets/Yankees game at their new ballparks wanted to start a new thread on mass transit getting there.

Citifield

Subway service

The LIRR did change their old Shea station stop to "Mets-Willets Point' station.

LIRR

Basically same service as in ears past, Pt Washington trains stopping at the Mets station starting 2 hours before the game and service ending 90 minutes after the ballgame is over.

For New Yankee Stadium

Subways

I am sure 99% of you guys are aware that you take the (B)-weekdays only (D) and (4) to the 161st Street station.

via MNRR

Easiest way is to the Hudson Line train to new "Yankees-East 156th St' station.

My brother who works for MNRR has told me by Early-May or sooner(it wont be ready for the home opener)the new "Yankees' station will open. Also due to separte 'tile and station rehab' work on couple upper Hudson Line stations, a revsed schdule will start on May 3rd that includes Hudson Line service to new station.

"Local' Hudson River trains to/from Croton Harmon will stop at this 'new' station year-round 365 days a year giving riders service to Western Westchester County service around every 20-30 minutes during rush hours and every hour all other times.

The "express' aka Poughkeepsie trains i hear (correct me guys if i am wrong)according to my sources, will only stop at "Yankees' station on game days/nights from about 90 minutes before game time-1 hour after the game.

New Haven and Harlem Valley(Brewester-White Plains)lines.

Shuttle trains will operate between GCT and Yankees station every 20 minutes starting 2 hours before game and 1 hour after the game.

Any other comments? I personaly think that the nearby Melrose station on 163rd St(Harlem Valley/New Haven lines) should have also been fixed and expanded so that riders from eastern Westchester, Fairfield and other locations on those 2 lines have an easier ride to new Yankee Stadium and could connect via a 'shuttle bus'. What you think.

According to MTA East Side, it's Yankees Stadium-153rd St.

IIRC, its between River Avenue and Cromwell Avenue.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=River+Avenue+and+153+Street&sll=40.82408,-73.928751&sspn=0.002005,0.005391&ie=UTF8&ll=40.833229,-73.923912&spn=0.004011,0.010782&t=h&z=14&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=River+Avenue+and+153+Street&sll=40.82408,-73.928751&sspn=0.002005,0.005391&ie=UTF8&ll=40.833229,-73.923912&spn=0.004011,0.010782&t=h&z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

May 23. Here the press statement from the MTA.

Train Service to MTA Metro-North Railroad's Newest Station Yankees – E. 153rd Street Begins Saturday May 23, 2009

On-Time and On-Budget Station Project Continues in Partnership with the City of New York

With station construction on schedule, MTA Metro-North Railroad today announced that train service to the new Yankees – E.153rd Street Station will begin on Saturday May 23, 2009, with regular daily service 365 days a year and special game day schedules too.

Train service begins exactly 24 months after the design-build contract was signed.

"A two-year construction schedule for such a complex project is very aggressive and we are gratified that all those involved in the job worked hard to keep it on time and on budget," said Metro-North President Howard Permut. "Never in Metro-North history has a major station project been completed so fast."

The four tracks of the Hudson Line had to be spread out to allow construction of two, extra-wide island platforms. The tracks had to literally snake between the columns supporting the Major Deegan Expressway and Exterior Street. The project was working in tight quarters with tracks, a manufacturing business practically touching the overpass and several large retail construction projects underway in close proximity. Once the track work was complete, foundations and platforms had to be built, staircases added, elevator towers erected along with constructing a 450-foot-long, 25-foot wide overpass and a 10,000 square foot mezzanine.

All this was done while maintaining regular Hudson Line train service with no impact on on-time performance. In 2008, the Hudson Line achieved an on-time performance of 97.6%.

Although construction continues, the pedestrian overpass will be open, as planned, for exhibition games on April 3 and 4 and for all home games before the station officially opens for train service. This accommodation will allow fans to use the riverside parking lots and still cross over the tracks to access the new stadium.

After the train station opens, the overpass will be open at all times for access to train platforms and so that the local community can reach the new riverfront park that is taking shape along the Harlem River.

The station will be a regular local stop on the Hudson Line for Bronx residents and visitors, with the same frequency of service as all Bronx local stops - hourly service in the off-peaks and about every 20 minutes during the peaks. It will be served by 23 southbound and 27 north bound trains each weekday. The trip to Grand Central is just 15 minutes!

On regular weekdays, Metro-North is estimating up to 400 people a day will use the station, about half of whom will drive and park in the commuter garage right off the Major Deegan and the rest will be local Bronx residents. It is expected that most Bronx customers will use the railroad to travel north to employment centers in Yonkers and Tarrytown.

On game days, when up to 10,000 people are expected to use the station, there will be added service in addition to regular daily Hudson Line service.

For weekday day and night games there will be a nearly continuous shuttle service between Grand Central and the new station, with one stop at Harlem-125th Street Station.

For a 7 p.m. weekday game, for example, regular Hudson Line service to Yankees-E. 153rd Street Station will be supplemented by a shuttle service so as not to interfere with the normal evening rush hour. But after night games, direct trains to Harlem and New Haven stations will operate taking people to their home station. In addition, extra trains will operate on the Hudson Line with direct service from the new station. The shuttle to Harlem-125th Street and Grand Central Terminal also will operate every 20 minutes.

On weekends and holidays, both afternoon and evening games will be served by direct trains to and from the Harlem and New Haven lines. Extra trains also will operate on the Hudson Line with direct service to the new station. Continuous shuttles to/from Grand Central also will operate.

Just as train scheduling has been challenging, there were some tough and complex, multi-party real estate transactions that had to be completed before Metro-North could begin construction. The last deal was signed in late May 2007 and a design-build contract was awarded to CCA Civil Inc. / Halmar International LLC on May 23, 2007. The contract calls for the final completion, when all the trailers and equipment etc. are off the property, by August 23, 2009.

Introduction of this station represents Metro-North's continued commitment and contribution to the revitalization of The Bronx, and the railroad's ongoing partnership efforts with the City of New York. The $91 million project was funded jointly with MTA Metro-North Railroad contributing $52 million and the City contributing $39 million.

One-way, round-trip, peak and off-peak tickets, ten-trip tickets go on sale May 1. June monthly tickets go on sale May 20. For travel on the Hudson Line, the fare to the new station is the same as the fare to any Bronx Hudson Line Station. For travel to and from the new station from Harlem or New Haven line stations is a new, slightly higher "via" fare, which will allow transfers at Grand Central Terminal or Harlem-125th Street Station for $1 during peak hours and 75 cents in the off-peak. All fares are subject to change June 1.

Holders of any monthly or weekly commutation ticket (Hudson, Harlem or New Haven) pay no addition fare for travel to the new station.

c)2008 MTA, Inc.

Nope, judging from the map, the station is not on the other side of the new stadium. In fact it is closer to the old one than to the new one. The new one is on the north side of 161st. This is on 153rd and Cromwell.

Wha? I was talking bout the MNRR station.

- A

Yankee games or not from now on (which i already have done at Marble Hill)sometimes traveling to/from NYC, when i am low on money and not in hurray i save the $3-4 from if i rode from GCT by sometimes transfering at the 153rd-Yankee Stadium stop and switch to the (4) or (D)lines.

Archived