Yankees - East 153rd Opens 5/22/09

FamousNYLover

I hope it opens smootly and on time, I don't want to see similar situation as the New South Ferry.

This station should open on time. There's a huge demand for it and it will piss the hell out of the Yanks if there's any delay. South Ferry had construction issues, I really don't think the same can be said about the new station. Sides, we haven't heard any problems with the new station, thus far.

Also an easier to access fare-saving station instead of Marble Hill with the local (1).

How far a walk is it to the Yankee Stadium Station (4)(B)(D)?

I believe it is a 5-10 minute walk. Walk through the carpark and you'll reach the old stadium. Cross 161st and you're there.

The station is to the southwest of the new ballpark.

Only for when its game time!

Wrong! The station will be open at all times. Local trains will stop there. Direct Harlem/New Haven service via Mott will be game-day pre-game only.

The (MTA) is still figuring out whether or not to add post-game direct Harlem/New Haven service.

I know that LIRR does not stop at mets / willets point unless theres tennis stuff or a game, or some other event, however the (7)<7> always stops there. went out at 2:30 am back in 2007. Was creepy. *shudder*.

MNRR should stop there all times local because theres a residential population in the area, unlike willets point, which has a population of 1 as of 2007.

- A

MNRR should stop there all times local because theres a residential population in the area, unlike willets point, which has a population of 1 as of 2007.

He was not referring to the (7)station but the neighborhood that CitiField is located in. The area around CitiField is deserted so if one is there at night on a non-game day, then it would be creepy since nobody would be around there. On the other hand, the area near Yankees-153 Street is residental so there are more people there.

He was not referring to the (7)station but the neighborhood that CitiField is located in. The area around CitiField is deserted so if one is there at night on a non-game day, then it would be creepy since nobody would be around there. On the other hand, the area near Yankees-153 Street is residental so there are more people there.

Correct. It has not seen a proper residence in probably over 100 years.

The LIRR station is closed off with metal barricades & chains when it isn't in use. You can go to the uber-creepy flushing meadows park (not creepy during the day though), the parking lot there, there's the yard and CS depot, but when i was there the yard & depot were empty of people and packed with trains/busses. Broad channel has nothing on this station.

As far as the MNRR stop goes, i think the harlem line melrose stop is totally unrelated and a bit far to be called a station for yankee stadium. Everyone i know that takes MNRR into the city to go to a yanks game, gets off at 125th and transfers to the subway. At least with this new station the crowding will be less there.

- A

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. The area to the east of the stadium is Willets Point. There are no residences, just auto shops and garages. There are carparks, a bus depot and a train yard. No residences or retail.

I know that LIRR does not stop at mets / willets point unless theres tennis stuff or a game, or some other event, however the (7)<7> always stops there. went out at 2:30 am back in 2007. Was creepy. *shudder*.

- A

Metsfan, MNRR officals have said the new yankee stadium-153rd st stop is on the Hudson Line. and 'yes' the station will be open 365 days a year. The 153-ys stop will be an 'local' station usually serve by Hudson Local trains going to/from Croton Harmon. On non-game time, the Hudson Local runs every 30-60 minutes during off peak hours 7 days a week.

On game days/nights only a select "express aka Poughkeepsie' trains will also stop at 153-YS from about 90 minutes before 1st pitch-1 hour after the last pitch.

• 1 month later...

Archived