Whats the Sperry Car Used For?

Dave160

I really never knew what the car was used for. I heard that it was used for track inspection but I cant be sure. Seems like an old car too by looking at it.. If you know what its purpose is for, do tell.

Here's a video I took also just to show the people who dont know what the Sperry car looks like.

SRS (Sperry Rail Service) car uses ultrasound to test for defects in the track. Can detect all sorts of stuff that a visual inspection can't reveal. I believe Sperry has/had(?) a long spur off the MNRR Danbury Branch, they called it "the worlds worst railroad".

SRS (Sperry Rail Service) car uses ultrasound to test for defects in the track. Can detect all sorts of stuff that a visual inspection can't reveal. I believe Sperry has/had(?) a long spur off the MNRR Danbury Branch, they called it "the worlds worst railroad".

Ahh ok thanks for the info.

Ooh... nice vid!

Thanks.

Nice catch and vid. (if it is taken by you)... And nice info as well, that Sperry always makes me question...

Yea I took it.... Thanks.

It has that old look to it. Reminds me of PCC cars.

- A

Now that you say that it kinda does lol.

It definitely raises eyebrows. For weeks at a time you could find one over here near VALLEY tower.

Sperry also runs on regular railroads, there is a car that is usually stored in Metuchen NJ, but it has not been there of late. Also sometimes they show up in NYP and run through the tunnels under their own power, boy it reeks down there when that thing shows up. Heres a link to their site:

http://www.sperryrail.com/

Ohhh extra info.... thanks.

#1 great rare catch!!

#2 so the sperry isnt owned by the MTA?

Thanks

Nope, it is owned by Sperry but I think it might be a (NYCT) T/O with a crew from Sperry.

It's diesel powered.

Thats exactly what I think when I see it :cool:. I caught it on the (F) line at 18 Avenue on July 18, 2007:

img_69744.jpg

Nice pic Zach.

Thanks for all the extra info guys.

I usually see the sperry car just parked in the front of Coney Island Yard. You could walk right by it on the sidewalk.

Btw, does anyone know the year it was built? i'd guesstimate it at around 50's 60's... but that's just me.

Nice pic Zach.

Thanks for all the extra info guys.

I usually see the sperry car just parked in the front of Coney Island Yard. You could walk right by it on the sidewalk.

Btw, does anyone know the year it was built? i'd guesstimate it at around 50's 60's... but that's just me.

Thanks! Looks to be at minimum from the 60s...

Dat's what i'm sayin. It just has that "look". Can't even explain it. They had more curves back then. Now days most MOW cars are very functional and mechanical looking. Those bi-fold doors don't help either, everyone knows when they started showing up (1930's). Even some busses had them.

Ray Lowey livin' large! :cool:

PRR-S1-Loewy.jpg

- A

Well you could catch them from the yard, eh?

That would be so out of the way since only harrison yard is remotely near any station. The yards are purposely away from stations for security & safety reasons.

On another note (NJT) has one or a vehicle that looks like one & i got a photo of that will post soon.

- A

Archived