What was the R-16 like right before it was retired?

R10 2952

Hey guys: The R-16s were retired in July of 1987. What were they like in 1987? Were they good or bad? Where they relatively clean or graffiti-covered? Were ANY R-16s painted as Redbirds before retiring (just like they did with the R-17 between 1985-1988)? I'm very curious.B)

The R-16's were retired from service on the J line. They were all graffiti covered and broke down frequently, thanks to the TA's lack of maintenance.

The two things that I remember about the 16's are the interior door panels which extended outwards and the loud "clacks" that the doors would make when they closed and locked.

Hey guys: The R-16s were retired in July of 1987. What were they like in 1987? Were they good or bad? Where they relatively clean or graffiti-covered? Were ANY R-16s painted as Redbirds before retiring (just like they did with the R-17 between 1985-1988)? I'm very curious.:o

the last R16's i myself remember ever seeing was back when the (M) ran on the brighton line yes it was covered with graff i dont recall them becoming redbird the ride to me felt very similar to R27's and the like i een remember them on the (L) & (R)

The R-16's were retired from service on the J line. They were all graffiti covered and broke down frequently, thanks to the TA's lack of maintenance.

The two things that I remember about the 16's are the interior door panels which extended outwards and the loud "clacks" that the doors would make when they closed and locked.

yes i used to think they looked bugged out with the door panels leaning like that, one thing u forgot to mention about the doors closing, the little air release sound it would make once the doors closed. didnt they also have the forward facing seats too? like the R9's im not sure

• 3 months later...
EE, please stop bringing up many of the older threads. Thank you.

Why not, I don't see anything wrong with this. If your not a mod, don't act like one.

I wish I could have seen the R16s but I was born 2 years after they were killed off. I did read somewhere that they were problem cars from the very start.

Why not, I don't see anything wrong with this. If your not a mod, don't act like one.

I wish I could have seen the R16s but I was born 2 years after they were killed off. I did read somewhere that they were problem cars from the very start.

Yup same I never rode them either, would have liked to.

The most known problem with the R-16 was fires in the GE units. The GE units were like the R-17 (the MG vents the resistors inside a big box), and since they weren't maintained to well when debris got in there it could start a fire.

THAT must have been a heck of a sight when it happened...

Yup same I never rode them either, would have liked to.

The most known problem with the R-16 was fires in the GE units. The GE units were like the R-17 (the MG vents the resistors inside a big box), and since they weren't maintained to well when debris got in there it could start a fire.

THAT must have been a heck of a sight when it happened...

If one of those cought fire on the Eastern Div., I don't think anyone would have noticed. That whole area was a hell hole at the time.

If one of those cought fire on the Eastern Div., I don't think anyone would have noticed. That whole area was a hell hole at the time.

Heh...yup bring yer stale meat and have a cook out...at least you won't have to pay the gas bill :D

Archived