Did the (3) ever use Redbirds?

R10 2952

I always have wondered about Redbirds on the (3). I know that they showed up sometimes on the (1) in the early and mid 1990s, so maybe they also showed up on the (3)? When I mean Redbirds, I mean R-17s, possibly R-21/R-22s, R-26/28/29, R-33ML/WF, and R-36ML/WF between 1984 and 2003. I know that the (4), which was almost fully R-62 (like the (3)) between 1983 and 1990, used many Redbirds between 1990 and 2001, but I've never known about the (3). Perhaps someone can elaborate?:confused:

Possiably not with the Term "REDBIRD" but about the 70s to early 80s the (3) were on some orginal (R26 to 33) models before they wnent into GOH. I belivie, but ive seen pics tho

I know for sure that we had a few pre-redbird cars mixed into some consists.As a C/R I remember operating from 9250-51 while two cars away was a car with caps and triggers( inactive ). The (3) line before the GOH ran all types of equipment. Remember we only ran 9 car trains then but there were no redbirds at that time. The (3) ran from Lenox to Flatbush back then. When the southern terminal was switched to New Lots and even after the R62A cars came out there were no redbirds on the (3) line. The redbird cars were married pair cars where one car had the electrical components and the mate had the compressors and air brake components. Therefore you could have some pre-redbird (R26-R33)equipment on a train but you would need single cars to flesh out a 9 car train. The older cars were all single units so it was easier to just use the older cars on the (3). Hope I didn't confuse anybody.

The (1) and (3) basically had RedBirds before 1990's but afterwards R-62 dominated them. Also, (3) had RedBirds shown up a times as said during G.O.'s, only photos would be my source...

I rode both a Redbird (1)/(3), 1st Redbird (1), I was 11 years old and I was at 96th st and B'way, This is when the (1) was going to New lots and I was waiting for a while and out of nowhere a redbird poped out of nowhere and It was a (1) train, They were 9200 series from the (4), I rode it to brooklyn, I was shocked as hell, But it was a fun ride to bad they took it out of service when it got to new lots, This was in october of 2001 post 9/11,

The Redbird (3), I was 7 years old when this happend, I was at 42nd st and I was waiting with a famliy member and A Redbird 10 car trainset ,(8800,8900 and 9000 series) from the (2) were on the (3) and I rode it to 148th st where they took it out of service,This took place in 1997,Both of these events took place on a sunday, Back then post 1988-2001 Alot of werid stuff would pop up, That's how the TA used to do it back then.

I rode both a Redbird (1)/(3), 1st Redbird (1), I was 11 years old and I was at 96th st and B'way, This is when the (1) was going to New lots and I was waiting for a while and out of nowhere a redbird poped out of nowhere and It was a (1) train, They were 9200 series from the (4), I rode it to brooklyn, I was shocked as hell, But it was a fun ride to bad they took it out of service when it got to new lots, This was in october of 2001 post 9/11,

The Redbird (3), I was 7 years old when this happend, I was at 42nd st and I was waiting with a famliy member and A Redbird 10 car trainset ,(8800,8900 and 9000 series) from the (2) were on the (3) and I rode it to 148th st where they took it out of service,This took place in 1997,Both of these events took place on a sunday, Back then post 1988-2001 Alot of werid stuff would pop up, That's how the TA used to do it back then.

The Redbirds were not officialy on the (1) and (3) during the 90s and 2000s, u must of rode a nostalgia version.

@Trainmaster5 yea man i remember the yd switch. Wasnt the (3) also on R22?

• 1 month later...
Before the R142s arrived, both the 2 and 3 were Redbirds with mostly R28s-R29s. The 3 didn't receive any R62s until the 4 received all its R142/A/Ss.

From what I remembered (3) trains mainly ran R62A's until the (4) received all of it's R142/A'S. The (4) did ran R62 trains and just about all of them were sent to the (3) train. I have never seen a redbird (3) train.

The (3) never ran redbirds in regular scheduled passenger service. The only redbirds to run out of 148th St-Lenox Terminal were (2) trains during G.O.s or re-routes due to problems on the White Plains line. We did run a few of the cars BEFORE the GOH but they weren't painted red then.

Archived