MTA and Amtrak systemwide railfanning April 10 - 17

Paul P

This is an invitation to all New York City Transit Forums' members, to join me on any of the listed trips I will make! B)

Few know that I'm finally going to New York on Friday, April 10 for a total of 8 days, I've made plans to cover GOs during the Easter weekend, and see the New South Ferry Terminal, and all the new car assignments that have changed since I last visited in November.

Note: my plans are stable and likely will not change dates, but once in New York I'll try to get Wi-Fi connections to update the status...

In weekdays, I'll ride a lot more than is listed, but these are places and things I want to see 100%, so if you want to join, please let me know! :cool:

Friday, April 10

- DART buses from Harbeson, Delaware at 6:13AM, transfer at Dover, DE at 8AM and arrive in Wilmington, DE by 9:31AM.

- Acela Express train #2158 scheduled departure of 10:17AM to New York Penn arriving at 11:45AM.

- The rest of the day I will spend checking in my hostel, and just use the system to get around the city but no railfanning is planned for that day.

April 11 - 12 (Easter weekend)

- (2) trains to Utica Ave (late night)

- (5) shuttle trains between E180th St and Eastchester (late night)

- (7) construction work between 82nd and 111th Sts

- (A) trains on the (F) between W 4th and Jay Sts (late night)

- (E) and (F) with R160s (hopefully) local from Forest Hills to Roosevelt Ave (late night)

- (N) and (R) trains rerouted over Manhattan Bridge (late night)

- (Q) shuttle buses between Atlantic Ave and Prospect Park (late night)

- (R) extended to 179th St on the (F)

Monday, April 13

- Metro North Railroad to Stamford, Connecticut (hoping the weather will be good)

- Lunch in Stamford

- Around the area Amtrak and MNRR railfanning

Tuesday, April 14

- Planned trip to the Rockaways to catch R40 Slants on the (A)

- LIRR Far Rockaway Station

- Long Island Bus to Long Beach

- LIRR back to Penn Station

Wednesday, April 15

- Long Island Railroad to Port Jefferson

- Railfanning in Port Jefferson

- Lunch in Port Jefferson

- LIRR back to Jamaica Station

- AirTrain to Howard Beach (possibly)

- (A) train to Manhattan

Thursday, April 16

- Planned busfanning in the Bronx and Brooklyn

(I'm hoping for someone to join me who knows a lot more than I do about bus fleets) B)

- Coney Island Terminal

- B3K Bus at Kings Highway (B) and (Q) station (afternoon)

- S53 Bus from Bay Ridge on the (R) to Grasmere Station in Staten Island

- SIR to St. George

- SI Ferry to South Ferry

Friday, April 17

- Amtrak Northeast Regional #133 at 1:10PM to Wilmington, DE

- DART buses back to Harbeson, DE with a transfer in Dover, DE

The April 15th trip does good. If I'm free, I wouldn't mind spending the money to fan with you. Here's a question though: What time are you going to be leaving Jamaica? I want to get an idea of how much a ticket will be.

As for bus fanning in the BX and BK, ask Orion, Curake79 or MajinVegeta. (AKA the TransitGeek Squad) They know a lot about the buses.

The April 15th trip does good. If I'm free, I wouldn't mind spending the money to fan with you. Here's a question though: What time are you going to be leaving Jamaica? I want to get an idea of how much a ticket will be.

As for bus fanning in the BX and BK, ask Orion, Curake79 or MajinVegeta. (AKA the TransitGeek Squad) They know a lot about the buses.

If I'll go both tickets will be Off-Peak. I'll look into the times this afternoon, then tell you for sure what time.

I don't really have a ride to train on weekends, but i could do the subway part. Don't forget :septa:!!!

- A

OK! :cool:

B/w Jamaica and any Queens railroad station and Flatbush Avenue and/or Penn Station offpeak: $5.25 peak: $7.25. If you fanning b/w Jamaica and Long Island depending where in Long Island ticket prices are slighty higher!

I'll only use the Off Peak times, and a one way ticket to Pt. Jefferson costs $7.50, so both ways $15.00 from and back to Jamaica. I think it's better for pictures because of the open air platforms...

On that date I plan to leave in the morning there is one train leaving 10:58, with a transfer at Huntington, and arrives Pt. Jefferson at 12:37.

Going back I would think the 4:05 from Pt. Jefferson straight to Jamaica with an arrival of 5:39.

Tell me what you think! :cool:

I'll be out next week to the city. I could show you PATH, HBLR, and give you a history lesson of the NJ waterfront area and related items if you'd like. HBLR and PATH on 2 different days though, as HBLR takes long because of the number of stops and terminal dwell time and i have other stuff to do. PATH can be done relatively quickly but i don't wanna do that right before or after HBLR. It's worth it though to do each system once.

- A

I'll be out next week to the city. I could show you PATH, HBLR, and give you a history lesson of the NJ waterfront area and related items if you'd like. HBLR and PATH on 2 different days though, as HBLR takes long because of the number of stops and terminal dwell time and i have other stuff to do. PATH can be done relatively quickly but i don't wanna do that right before or after HBLR. It's worth it though to do each system once.

- A

Good idea, I've ridden PATH only 2 times, and haven't been on HBLR yet, but it's possible to do so. Let me know what day you will be in the city. My plans might change a bit because of weather!

When you are busfanning in the Bronx, you can't miss the BX12 SBS.

Yea, I've been on it a few times, on my way... Thanks for advice.

TIMES FOR THE STAMFORD AND PORT JEFFERSON TRIPS HAVE BEEN UPDATED! FRIDAY APRIL 9, 3:48PM

Monday, April 13

- Metro North Railroad to Stamford, Connecticut (hoping the weather will be good) LEAVES GC TERMINAL 10:10AM (OFF PEAK)

- Lunch in Stamford

- Around the area Amtrak and MNRR railfanning

- LEAVES STAMFORD 4:03PM (OFF PEAK)

Wednesday, April 15

- Long Island Railroad to Port Jefferson LEAVES JAMAICA 10:58AM (OFF PEAK)

- Railfanning in Port Jefferson

- Lunch in Port Jefferson

- LIRR back to Jamaica Station LEAVES PT. JEFFERSON 4:05PM (OFF PEAK)

So what time are people planning to be in the city for some pictures tomorrow (or should I say today)? I'll be going to the city at some point (though I've got something going on there at 7PM). It'd be kinda nice if I ran into fellow photographers.

Well, I never ran into anyone today, but that's probably because of where I was. Today I tackled a few stations each on the (J), (M) and (L) lines after traveling west from Jamaica (took the LIRR from Lynbrook, another place where I snapped some shots). Hopefully pictures will be uploaded on NYCsubway in the coming days.

I agree, taking pictures in the rain is tough.

Archived