I have a question!

mack219

I know that NYC Transit arent doing much hiring at the present but my list number for the Bus Operator is near. To make a long story short... I have a Class A and I have no points but I do have two accidents on my abstract. Both happened in 12/08. One was in a snow storm. I tapped the brakes of my tractor trailer and the brakes of the trailer locked and slid to the side a little and scratched a car that was parked. My job found it non preventable and it was not held against me. I have the paper work. The other one was when a jerk ran the light and hit me. Though these both show up on my abstract would NYC Transit hold it against me and have me come back after they reach a year old? I was told by someone that they only allow one accident in the past year and no more than four points. Can someone give me a helping hand with some info!

I know that NYC Transit arent doing much hiring at the present but my list number for the Bus Operator is near. To make a long story short... I have a Class A and I have no points but I do have two accidents on my abstract. Both happened in 12/08. One was in a snow storm. I tapped the brakes of my tractor trailer and the brakes of the trailer locked and slid to the side a little and scratched a car that was parked. My job found it non preventable and it was not held against me. I have the paper work. The other one was when a jerk ran the light and hit me. Though these both show up on my abstract would NYC Transit hold it against me and have me come back after they reach a year old? I was told by someone that they only allow one accident in the past year and no more than four points. Can someone give me a helping hand with some info!

Just from my own experience of people i know having similar incidents, if it out of your control or the other person's fault, usually they note it but don't count it against you. (NYCT) might do it differently though. This was for local school district.

Because passenger stuff is a lot more serious than cargo they do have different standards.

Hope you get the job!

- A

I agree with what Mets fan said. They will look into those accidents most likely and see that you weren't at fault. Makes me wonder about MTA's accident policy on the job. When an accident happens that isn't your fault. Not all accidents are preventable. Driving safely from one point to another is the task at hand. Are on the 5025 list? if so what is your list #? Good luck Mack.

I agree with what Mets fan said. They will look into those accidents most likely and see that you weren't at fault. Makes me wonder about MTA's accident policy on the job. When an accident happens that isn't your fault. Not all accidents are preventable. Driving safely from one point to another is the task at hand. Are on the 5025 list? if so what is your list #? Good luck Mack.

all i know is when you become a bus operator, MTA's accident policy = it's your fault automatically. don't even try to argue with it:cool:

my cousin had a similar thing as yours with the accidents you had.he was not charged in 2 accidents but they still put it on his abstract. so he got all his papers saying it was not his fault and sent them to dmv in albany and he also called them he told me they cleaned his drivers abstract up in about 6 weeks he was notified in the mail them went and got another copy of his abstract to be sure they did remove the accidents so you have a little work to do now call up dmv in albany get the phone numbers and address then send the info i lot of the info can be found on the computer nys dmv

all i know is when you become a bus operator, MTA's accident policy = it's your fault automatically. don't even try to argue with it:cool:

I hear what your saying,so if console asks you how did the accident happen? It is best to say as little as possible. If you are involved in a fatal accident you get fired right?

But otherwise,bumper,fender,side mirror,property damage accidents doesn't get you fired right? what do they do? send you back for more training?

A friend on mine who was a Bus Operator told me one time he parked his Bus and eat his lunch since it was his scheduled lunch time. A car hits him in the Back and he had to go downtown since he was ON the Bus. He was cleared after all the proceedures were done taken out of service pending investigation and drug testing.

I hear what your saying,so if console asks you how did the accident happen? It is best to say as little as possible. If you are involved in a fatal accident you get fired right?

But otherwise,bumper,fender,side mirror,property damage accidents doesn't get you fired right? what do they do? send you back for more training?

let me put it this way, once you call console for accident related matter. you will have an accident in your record. it doesn't matter it's your fault or not. because 99.99% is preventable. it happens because you don't forward plan. so think twice before you hit that button. the 1st thing they will ask is 'is there are any damage on the bus', yes, they don't ask if you are all right 1st. :confused: they care about the bus more than you :tup:

minor accident wont get you fired, it's their call to send you for medical and drug or not. if it's very minor, they will put you into service right away.

basically, if you able to pass probation accident free. you don't need to worry about getting fired too much.

let me put it this way, once you call console for accident related matter. you will have an accident in your record. it doesn't matter it's your fault or not. because 99.99% is preventable. it happens because you don't forward plan. so think twice before you hit that button. the 1st thing they will ask is 'is there are any damage on the bus', yes, they don't ask if you are all right 1st. :confused: they care about the bus more than you :tup:

minor accident wont get you fired, it's their call to send you for medical and drug or not. if it's very minor, they will put you into service right away.

basically, if you able to pass probation accident free. you don't need to worry about getting fired too much.

Thanks for the information. I listen to the bus dispatchers every day on my scanner. They say the same thing you said. I don't have a problem with being drug tested. There are people out there hoping to get into a minor accident with a city bus so they can collect.

B/O's are under pressure to maintain their schedules,I know safety comes first before being on time. Motorists don't give buses the right of way most of the time. If you drive your entire run at 15 mph you won't last very long.

"if you able to pass probation accident free. you don't need to worry about getting fired too much."

So is it safe to assume that most B/O's quit rather than get fired? There is a high turnover rate I am sure.

my car i did hit a tree i lost control of the car i hope that won`t be held aganist me and i got a parking ticket which i payed already 35 dollars and i didn`t get any dui or dwi or any speeding tickets.

Parking tickets isn't a moving violation,don't worry about that. Glad that you are ok regarding that accident,but it is better that you hit a tree and not another car which could have caused both property and bodily damage.

You can always check with a lawyer beforehand,that is what Chris did when he was going through the investigation process. I do believe the MTA wants to know your entire driving history and not just the last 3 yrs.

Thanks for the information. I listen to the bus dispatchers every day on my scanner. They say the same thing you said. I don't have a problem with being drug tested. There are people out there hoping to get into a minor accident with a city bus so they can collect.

B/O's are under pressure to maintain their schedules,I know safety comes first before being on time. Motorists don't give buses the right of way most of the time. If you drive your entire run at 15 mph you won't last very long.

"if you able to pass probation accident free. you don't need to worry about getting fired too much."

So is it safe to assume that most B/O's quit rather than get fired? There is a high turnover rate I am sure.

you won't be under pressure to maintain schedules for the 1st few years, you will work at night time, so you aren't trying to make the schedule for people go to work. that's not a problem to drive 15mph, just that you will lose all your 'break' time. that means you will drive few hours non stop. i guess u don't want to do that :P

also, no body gives a damn about the bus. people will walk right in front of your bus like nothing. car will try to squeeze whenever you give them space left and right.

that's what they say. once you pass your probation, it's your job to KEEP. you won't get fired easily, unless you wreck the bus big time.

you won't be under pressure to maintain schedules for the 1st few years, you will work at night time, so you aren't trying to make the schedule for people go to work. that's not a problem to drive 15mph, just that you will lose all your 'break' time. that means you will drive few hours non stop. i guess u don't want to do that :P

also, no body gives a damn about the bus. people will walk right in front of your bus like nothing. car will try to squeeze whenever you give them space left and right.

that's what they say. once you pass your probation, it's your job to KEEP. you won't get fired easily, unless you wreck the bus big time.

Thanks Ditja. How long have you been a B/O? I guess I was worrying a little bit too much. Only YOU can get yourself fired. As long as they give the newbies a little slack in the begining. Is it true when they say it takes 5 yrs to learn the job?

I got scared when I heard from a few people that they like to fire B/O's for whatever reason at Casey Stengel depot. They(white shirts)have a job to do as well,take that into account. 1 yr probation goes fast hopefully. I heard the newbies work 12:00am-8:00am on their first shift,then most likely 2:00pm-10:00pm. Weekends are mandatory but it is also the days when ridership is the lowest,and no supervisors riding undercover on your bus.

Yeah I know all about people who think they are car,bus,truck proof...they are in their own world.

Thanks Ditja. How long have you been a B/O? I guess I was worrying a little bit too much. Only YOU can get yourself fired. As long as they give the newbies a little slack in the begining. Is it true when they say it takes 5 yrs to learn the job?

I got scared when I heard from a few people that they like to fire B/O's for whatever reason at Casey Stengel depot. They(white shirts)have a job to do as well,take that into account. 1 yr probation goes fast hopefully. I heard the newbies work 12:00am-8:00am on their first shift,then most likely 2:00pm-10:00pm. Weekends are mandatory but it is also the days when ridership is the lowest,and no supervisors riding undercover on your bus.

Yeah I know all about people who think they are car,bus,truck proof...they are in their own world.

i am only 1 year on the job. well, in training, they always say that it takes 3 yrs for you to fully understand how to operate the bus. but for me, it only took like few months. IMO, it really depending on your talent.

1 yr probation doesn't go as fast as you think, only 1 mistake will set you back. during the year, you are trying to be accident free, on time, go to work everyday and pass at least 2 probie rides. it's not a easy task. 1 of my friend got extended 3 months, just by late 1 time, and call sick twice. if he late even once for that 3 months, he will get fired.

i am only 1 year on the job. well, in training, they always say that it takes 3 yrs for you to fully understand how to operate the bus. but for me, it only took like few months. IMO, it really depending on your talent.

1 yr probation doesn't go as fast as you think, only 1 mistake will set you back. during the year, you are trying to be accident free, on time, go to work everyday and pass at least 2 probie rides. it's not a easy task. 1 of my friend got extended 3 months, just by late 1 time, and call sick twice. if he late even once for that 3 months, he will get fired.

About sick policy,do they really want you to show up at the depot so they can see for themselves that you are sick? Isn't that why there is an extra list? I can understand going to the doctor and getting a note to prove that you were sick. I am talking about stuff like the flu,fever,sore throat.

I know you can go sick on run but I am sure that looks bad on your record. How many sick days do you get your 1st year?

About sick policy,do they really want you to show up at the depot so they can see for themselves that you are sick? Isn't that why there is an extra list? I can understand going to the doctor and getting a note to prove that you were sick. I am talking about stuff like the flu,fever,sore throat.

I know you can go sick on run but I am sure that looks bad on your record. How many sick days do you get your 1st year?

If your sick you call in from home. They want the address you will be at and the phone number. Don't call in sick for the first year or you may get fired.

As for the motorist, that is why NY needs a Yield to bus Law just like Jersey has. The law is simple. If a bus has it's signal on and is coming out of a stop, all cars, buses, trucks, and motorcycles must stop, as the bus has all right of way. Exception is emergency vehicles. If Motorist don't stop, it is a big fine, especially if the hit the bus.......

As for turnover rate, yes it is. My class of 52 was 35 when we graduated........

If your sick you call in from home. They want the address you will be at and the phone number. Don't call in sick for the first year or you may get fired.

That's right. Show up, and if you feel nauseous, just throw up on your supervisors shoes, blow your nose with their tie, or papers on their desk, and cough in their face. Then they will make the decision for you. Better them make it, than you, and you risk being canned........

I'm sort of in the same boat, unfortunatley i got convicted yesterday of a speeder from last year. i'm furiose i payed a lawer for this and still got convicted. they gave me 4 points for this and i have 4 points right now but the others are all non truck route crap, no accidents though. i got my list # for the mabstoa wich is 1046, now i doubt they'll call or hire me because of this, what do ya think?

As for the motorist, that is why NY needs a Yield to bus Law just like Jersey has. The law is simple. If a bus has it's signal on and is coming out of a stop, all cars, buses, trucks, and motorcycles must stop, as the bus has all right of way. Exception is emergency vehicles. If Motorist don't stop, it is a big fine, especially if the hit the bus.......

As for turnover rate, yes it is. My class of 52 was 35 when we graduated........

That would make sense,but everybody is in such a rush and all they gain is to be the 1st one stopped at the next red light. Nobody wants to drive behind a bus. The other day on Queens Blvd a Q60 signaled from the bus stop at the corner trying to merge into traffic,as soon as the light turned green a minivan which was parallel to the bus starting driving at the same speed as the bus,instead of yielding to the bus to let him go in front of him..the bus came within 2-3 ft of sideswiping him..would have loved to see the outcome of that one..as the mini van would have rolled over after being hit.

It is amazing that there isn't a lot more accidents when buses pull out from a bus stop. Other vehicles just don't want to slow down or switch lanes.

That's right. Show up, and if you feel nauseous, just throw up on your supervisors shoes, blow your nose with their tie, or papers on their desk, and cough in their face. Then they will make the decision for you. Better them make it, than you, and you risk being canned........

LOL!

Archived