"Most" express, "most" local

BSmith

Which is the most express line, the one that spends most time as an express during peak and regular hours? Which is most local?

For express, I'd say the (4). The (A) skips many stops, and may be strong competition since the (4) makes lots of stops in the Bronx. Of course, the <4> may be the most express.

The most local. I say the (R), local in Qns, Manhattan, Bklyn.

I'd say the most express is the <5> to Dyre Av. Express along Southern Blvd, Lexington Av & Eastern Pkwy. Unfortunately, the Nostrand Av portion tones it down, but some trains do go straight to Utica and stop. But that's just my opinion. Most local, definitely the (R), but the (A) local at night takes the cake, but it's only part-time.

Wouldn't you say the (A)?

I mean... it runs express for a long time along CPW and 8th Ave., and then express for a long run on Fulton St...

Absolutely, you can make a good argument for the (A). The (5) would be a possibility, but I'm not sure what it does in the Bronx and it doesn't always go to Bklyn. The (A) spends most of its route running Express and covers a big portion of both Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Just for going express 125-W4 alone I love the (D)... at the end of the day it's definitely not as tiring as the (A) since it runs express until later in the evening than the (A)... the West End ridership doesn't compare to the (A) or (F) as far as lines running south of Manhattan (even with the (M)s going there during rush hours), either (IMHO). Nice and quiet... and more likely to get moving quicker... unless there's an 'incident' ahead. :P A conductor in a transverse cab (R-68/As) is more likely to operate more proficiently than with one of the tin cans-which aren't on the (D) line.

Honestly the (B) isn't bad, either... express through the Brighton Line is sweet but they start terminating at 145 fairly early and cease at around 10.

Well the (D) is local on the Westend, which kills it.

Don't forget, it runs local down Concourse. That kills it too. Only during peak rush does it run express. And you are right about the West End, it's the only line there. As for the A, as mentioned by AWWang, that is NOT THE EXPRESS KING. Each of its terminating branches is a local route, be it Lefferts, Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park. And at night times, the A is the LOCAL KING. It makes ALL STOPS from Far Rockaway to 207th.

Of course, the MOST express was the (JFK)

• 3 months later...

for express i think the (N) is as express as u can get right now except for its local stiops in astoria and sea beach and now with the new (4) express with the (4) being express in the bronx certain trains and as far as locals the (C) and ®are pretty long routes local

The (R) wins the prize for the slowpoke (local). As for the express the (5) does operate express in all boroughs, but that's only during the peak direction. I'd also say that another contender would be the <7> since it's express from roughly 6 a.m. to before midnight. No peak express train runs that late.

Archived