"Most" express, "most" local

BSmith

The (R) wins the prize for the slowpoke (local). As for the express the (5) does operate express in all boroughs, but that's only during the peak direction. I'd also say that another contender would be the <7> since it's express from roughly 6 a.m. to before midnight. No peak express train runs that late.

I don't think the <7> can contend anymore. It doesn't run express straight from 5AM to 10PM like it used to. Middays are local only.

Actually, there is one train which defies logic as simultaneously being the most express and the most local route in the entire system -

The 42nd Street (S) B)

WINNER!!!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Express:

(A)

(5) peak direction (not <5>)

Local:

Late Night (A)

(R)(1)(C)(J)(L)

(6) (not <6>)

Actually, there is one train which defies logic as simultaneously being the most express and the most local route in the entire system -

The 42nd Street (S):)

You got me with that one...NICE! X-D

For the most local, I would say the (J) (outside rush hours) (R) lines are very local. The (C) is a long line also.

As for express, the (D) and (5) are long, running Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn express (during rush hours). The (A) is also very express, except late nights, its king compared to regular (R) service.

The (Z) is very express, in a weird skip-stop kinda way =]

The 42nd Street (S):P

It cannot be the most local route. A "local" shuttle would make all stops on 42nd St. It could only be local if it stopped at 42nd St-Bryant Park on the 6 Av line. Therefore, I beg to differ with your statement, although it was a clever observation in the first place.

It cannot be the most local route. A "local" shuttle would make all stops on 42nd St. It could only be local if it stopped at 42nd St-Bryant Park on the 6 Av line. Therefore, I beg to differ with your statement, although it was a clever observation in the first place.

He said it defies logic.

If you think about it, it does make sense. There are no intermediate stops, and it is the only line there shuttling between those two stops. Therefore it is local (since it stops at every stop) and express (since there are no intermediate stops)

Don't forget, it runs local down Concourse. That kills it too. Only during peak rush does it run express. And you are right about the West End, it's the only line there. As for the A, as mentioned by AWWang, that is NOT THE EXPRESS KING. Each of its terminating branches is a local route, be it Lefferts, Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park. And at night times, the A is the LOCAL KING. It makes ALL STOPS from Far Rockaway to 207th.

Of course, the MOST express was the (JFK)

The (D) Bronx Exp isn't even peak, its like 3:30 or 4pm to 6:15pm. It doesn't run during Yankee Games and sometimes for no reason it'll run local.

The (E) on a good day is a quick run with on QB. Yea it runs local in Manhattan but even that doesn't take a long time.

Have you ever told a joke in your life? :P

He said it defies logic. If you think about it' date=' it does make sense. There are no intermediate stops, and it is the only line there shuttling between those two stops. Therefore it is local (since it stops at every stop) and express (since there are no intermediate stops)[/quote']

Thank you, Sir. The 42nd Street (S) line has two stations, technically terminals, both which are stopped at on every run without any intermediate stops. That having been stated, it makes its entire run in under 90 seconds; it's probably the only line which, during normal operation, has a longer layover than actual run. Express and local, wrapped into one.

Archived