Proof of payment????? (What a stretch)

Ghostnyc123

ive been thinking these days as much as i would hate to, i think if tha railroad wasent free i think it be a 100% better. like id pay 2.50(new fare june 1st) to get better service more trains a hour, cleaner cars, etc. but then i thought how would that wrk, turnstiles at every stop, 2 much, then i rode the BX12 in the bronx and thought wat a concept pay ur fare get a ticket and if sumone asks to see it its proof lol, if HBLR(NJT)can do it, why not id pay ppl might be pissed but oh well good things might come out of it any thoughts????

POP would surely work on the Staten Island Railway. They should pay something, after all. But who will enforce it?

All that's needed is periodic randomly timed sweeps to keep people honest. Doesn't even have to be once a day.

- A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

True. It's not that big of a system, too.

Actucally (MTA) cops patrols the system very often already. So I think that wouldent be a problem

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Actucally (MTA) cops patrols the system very often already. So I think that wouldent be a problem

Yeah, remember, before Metrocard they used conductors. It won't be that much different.

All that's needed is periodic randomly timed sweeps to keep people honest. Doesn't even have to be once a day.

- A

Yeah. They do random sweeps on the tramline system in London. (You buy your ticket at the platform, and present it when asked for)

Like you said, sweeps can be done randomly or at major station stops and/or fare evasion areas.

POP doesn't require turnstiles

very true it would only require 2 or so machines (maybe more at busy stations like mine) and a time validator(optional) cause BX12 doesent use validators time starts wen ticket is bought. ppl would just have to put in thier metro cards and a ticket comes out, or put 2 bucks in the mashine and get a ticket it wouldent cost much at all. and sumthing tells me its not that far away, SIR is very neglected byt the (MTA) i feel. And mostly cause it costs the (MTA) alot of money to operate, and the system needs new cars, a new station, more express service and they even wanna start running 15min intervales at midday but they cant do all this without money, so lets not think tha (MTA) hasent thought of this, like i said from the start if service will get better and my train doesent feel like its going to explode everytime it leaves a station id be down for paying, lol

very true it would only require 2 or so machines (maybe more at busy stations like mine) and a time validator(optional) cause BX12 doesent use validators time starts wen ticket is bought. ppl would just have to put in thier metro cards and a ticket comes out, or put 2 bucks in the mashine and get a ticket it wouldent cost much at all. and sumthing tells me its not that far away, SIR is very neglected byt the (MTA) i feel. And mostly cause it costs the (MTA) alot of money to operate, and the system needs new cars, a new station, more express service and they even wanna start running 15min intervales at midday but they cant do all this without money, so lets not think tha (MTA) hasent thought of this, like i said from the start if service will get better and my train doesent feel like its going to explode everytime it leaves a station id be down for paying, lol

The farebox recovery is low compared to the other subway lines. That's one of the reasons why they are going to make people pay at Tompkinsville.

I dont think it would be too difficult to retrofit each station with those revolving gates and a metrocard machine...it might cost the (MTA) $$ right now..but it would turn into a huge profit down the line

I think this would work best. They would only have to implement one gate into each station entrance. I don't think it would cause a back up- except at major stations like St. George- because not that many people use the stations, especially the ones in the South Shore.

The idea would be good because it would make people pay for the SIR, therefore there would be less crime and better equipment of the tracks.

I think this would work best. They would only have to implement one gate into each station entrance. I don't think it would cause a back up- except at major stations like St. George- because not that many people use the stations, especially the ones in the South Shore.

The idea would be good because it would make people pay for the SIR, therefore there would be less crime and better equipment of the tracks.

Yeah because you can keep the undesirables from riding the SIR. And yeah, the increased farebox revenue can go to making trains more frequent and also repairing dilapidated infrastructure.

• 3 months later...

hey folks,i just wanted to post my first reply to this thread about the fare issue on the SIRT.if the SIRT is classified as a railroad,then why not operate the fare structure as LIRR and Metro North does?

do you think installing TVM's at each station is better and having the onboard conductors collect the tickets will work?

The SIR is more of a Commuter rail then a rapid transit. If any thing, the MTA named the subway cars the MUE-2 not an R type. We just call it an R44 because they were part of the R44 order. Plus the stations are miles apart. A subway, the stations are just a few blocks, it take at least a mile between stations.

Grant City and Jefferson Avenue are pretty close and it's a 1 minute distance by train.

Nassau and Atlantic are close too. Don't get me wrong, not every station is far apart. On the NJT, it only a short 1:30 ride from Metropark to Metuchen. And Botanical Gardens on the MNRR is only a 3/4 of mile away from Fordham.

I heard Staten Island Railway stations that are free are are not safe because there's no police or emergency call box.

I agree they should install Proof-of-payment and MTA to establish Law Enforcement on all Staten Island Railway Stations and Select Bus Service stations.

Also, Staten Island Railway need to have emergency telephone box instead.

I think maybe SIR riders want to get protection, especially night time.

hey folks,i just wanted to post my first reply to this thread about the fare issue on the SIRT.if the SIRT is classified as a railroad,then why not operate the fare structure as LIRR and Metro North does?

do you think installing TVM's at each station is better and having the onboard conductors collect the tickets will work?

Actually the SIR is pretty much a bona fide railway in the fact that:

1. There were conductors prior to the introduction of Metrocard in 1997

2. The frequencies of the line is comparable to a standard commuter railway line, as opposed to 5-20 intervals on the subway.

3. The nature of the line is pretty much of a bona fide railway

4. The signalling used is for railways

5. Before the takeover in the 1970s, B&O operated the line.

Basically, it is a commuter railway. However, the MTA seems to turn it into a rapid transit line, especially in a legislation to merge the NYCT subways with the line to form MTA Subways.

Having conductors going around in each car could be expensive, which is the reason why they got rid of the practice by having entrance/exit gates at St George (assumed that everyone gets off there). But it does keep the undesirables from roaming around the line.

POP can be insufficient. In a lot of systems where POP is the norm, the farebox recovery ratio is lower than systems with conductors or faregates. And the line would still need inspectors to randomly check tickets. Plus, it doesn't really keep the undesirables from running amok.

Actually the SIR is pretty much a bona fide railway in the fact that:

1. There were conductors prior to the introduction of Metrocard in 1997

2. The frequencies of the line is comparable to a standard commuter railway line, as opposed to 5-20 intervals on the subway.

3. The nature of the line is pretty much of a bona fide railway

4. The signalling used is for railways

5. Before the takeover in the 1970s, B&O operated the line.

Basically, it is a commuter railway. However, the MTA seems to turn it into a rapid transit line, especially in a legislation to merge the NYCT subways with the line to form MTA Subways.

Having conductors going around in each car could be expensive, which is the reason why they got rid of the practice by having entrance/exit gates at St George (assumed that everyone gets off there). But it does keep the undesirables from roaming around the line.

POP can be insufficient. In a lot of systems where POP is the norm, the farebox recovery ratio is lower than systems with conductors or faregates. And the line would still need inspectors to randomly check tickets. Plus, it doesn't really keep the undesirables from running amok.

What is POP?

Archived