Proof of payment????? (What a stretch)

Ghostnyc123

What is POP?

P.O.`: Proof-of-Payment

For example, if you take (NJT) Newark City Subway, Hudson-Bergen Lightrail or RiveLine, you have to valid your one way, ten trip ticket.

Or (MTA) Select Bus Service on Bx12(Soon, M15, B44, S79), you must obtain proof-of-payment receipt by inserting MetroCard into MetroCard Fare Collectors or coins in Coin Fare Collecter.

POP can be insufficient. In a lot of systems where POP is the norm, the farebox recovery ratio is lower than systems with conductors or faregates. And the line would still need inspectors to randomly check tickets. Plus, it doesn't really keep the undesirables from running amok.

That could be because those systems don't have an adequate system for checking fares. It seems as if these checks are not often random and only occur at certain stations where fare-beaters can hop off when they see the inspector/cop board to check the tickets. A POP system or anything would be better than what they have now with St. George exit/enter swipe. Undesirables won't be able to run amok if they don't have tickets.

• 2 weeks later...
The farebox recovery is low compared to the other subway lines. That's one of the reasons why they are going to make people pay at Tompkinsville.

Well if the install turnstiles and make people pay an exit fare at Tompkinsville, most people who previously got off at Tompkinsville and walked to St George Ferry Terminal will now choose to stay on the train until St George (since they would have to pay a fare in either case). The turnstiles at Tompkinsville will be very rarely used, except by people exiting at Tompkinsville but not going to the ferry. It seems unfair to charge Tompkinsville-bound riders a fare when rides between any other two stations on the line is free. If you are going to enforce fares then do so at all parts of the railroad.

Well if the install turnstiles and make people pay an exit fare at Tompkinsville, most people who previously got off at Tompkinsville and walked to St George Ferry Terminal will now choose to stay on the train until St George (since they would have to pay a fare in either case). The turnstiles at Tompkinsville will be very rarely used, except by people exiting at Tompkinsville but not going to the ferry. It seems unfair to charge Tompkinsville-bound riders a fare when rides between any other two stations on the line is free. If you are going to enforce fares then do so at all parts of the railroad.

I agree. People might even start exiting at Stapleton and walk.

That could be because those systems don't have an adequate system for checking fares. It seems as if these checks are not often random and only occur at certain stations where fare-beaters can hop off when they see the inspector/cop board to check the tickets. A POP system or anything would be better than what they have now with St. George exit/enter swipe. Undesirables won't be able to run amok if they don't have tickets.

In most systems that use POP in today's world in the systems around us, not much enforcement is being done. For example, you could virtually hop on the NLR/HBLR without paying a fare (unless you're caught). I rode both systems multiple times without seeing a person who does the check. Sure, while people will pay fares, that won't, necessarily, keep the undesirables from running amok. These wpeople who are so used to a virtual "fare-free" system would see the POP structure as a "mere departure" from the state of affairs they are used to.

However, I would suggest reverting back to conductors. This has two clear advantages: to enforce fare collection and maintain a sense of security. Some people may note the NJT as a counter-example, but I'm sure the MTA is hungry to the last penny. If they weren't so myopic and if technology allows for it, they could probably do to this. Heck, why not hand-held Metrocard fare reading machines?

Personally, I am not an advocate for the Tompkinsville procedure. I highlighted that to show the myopic view of the MTA's. If the MTA isn't myopic, fare collection should have been expanded up and down the line. They believe of course, that every SIR trip ends/starts at St George. However, they now realise that Tompkinsville is being used as a loophole. So they think that they could get "EVERYONE" by charging people at both stations. It's not going to work. First, the MTA does not account for intra-island trips and secondly, new loopholes would be made after one is shut down. Hell, they might start biking to/from Stapleton in order to beat the $2.25.

In order to make things fair for everybody, they should have charged everyone up and down the line, regardless of destination/point of origin.

And trust me, there will still be people trying to dodge the fare, even if the last fare free station northbound is Stapleton. Mark my words.

Archived