R Train Extension

Guest MTA Bus

That the problem. Every neighborhood in NYC wants a 1-seat ride to Midtown.

Instead of the (R) IMO the (V) should be extended to 179th St during at least rush hours.

That's the same reason why they can't send the C to Lefferts. The people at Ozone Park would be madder than the mad hatter.

i wouldnt mind if they actually extended the (R) to 179 St, but just leave the (F) the way it is. the (E) can go to jamaica center 24/7. basically during rush hours, keep the (F) the way it is, and just extend the (R) to 179 St. it'll be extra service during rush hours on the hillside ave line.

as for the (E), dont u guys think that the (V) can get extended to Jamaica Center via the (E) line rush hours??? or is that a bad idea?? im just curious.

as for the (E), dont u guys think that the (V) can get extended to Jamaica Center via the (E) line rush hours??? or is that a bad idea?? im just curious.

Bad idea. They actually send (E) trains up to 179 rush hours because Jamaica Center can't handle those trains. There's no room for more.

Bad idea. They actually send (E) trains up to 179 rush hours because Jamaica Center can't handle those trains. There's no room for more.

The double crossover between Parsons/Archer and Sutphin Blvd. is too far from the station to move a lot of trains over it quickly, that's why Jamaica Center can only turn so many (read: so few) trains per hour

They send a few (E) to 179 Street to lay up that the reason for it. Then the AM's they come out as put ins for the AM Rush Hour. Also at the end of the AM rush some go back to 179 to lay up for the PM Rush Hour. Parsons on the (E) gets backed up so they can't add service there.

I don't understand why they didn't build a double crossover before 179 on the express tracks to make turning trains simpler.

Anyway, does anyone know if the extension was intended to be 4 tracks or just 2? (btw the extension was going to be all the way to Little Neck Rd.)

If was gonna be 4 tracks, they certainly built things a little odd. If they were to build 4 tracks now, and if I'm looking at that map correctly... tracks D1-D4 would continue on. However tracks D1 and D2 would have to rise back up to the level of D3 and D4.

I don't understand why they didn't build a double crossover before 179 on the express tracks to make turning trains simpler.

Anyway, does anyone know if the extension was intended to be 4 tracks or just 2? (btw the extension was going to be all the way to Little Neck Rd.)

If was gonna be 4 tracks, they certainly built things a little odd. If they were to build 4 tracks now, and if I'm looking at that map correctly... tracks D1-D4 would continue on. However tracks D1 and D2 would have to rise back up to the level of D3 and D4.

I believe that at some point it will be two tracks, maybe after Springfield Blvd.

As for, Jam. Ctr.: IMO, it was built as a provisional terminal.

Archived