R32 and R40 S/M still on the(A) and (C)?

NYtransit

is the R32 and R40 M/S still running on the (C)(A)? i want to railfan along the (A) with ether R32 or R40 S/M and as for the (C) i would like to railfan with R32's. are they still running on those lines?

I would think there are still R32 running on both, but R40s might be only on the (A).

the (C) is now entirely R32s and they also occasionally appear on the (A). the (A) uses all remaining R40 slants in the system, but all R40Ms are in Jamaica, so they are not on the (A)(C). R40s (both slants and modified cars) are currently being retired, so get your photos and videos on the (A)(E) lines if you want them.

Yes. It's R40 by the way, not R40S. R40 is slantified. R40a has 2 versions, slanted and modified. All R40m are actually R40a with different ends.

I am pretty sure all of the R40 are gone, but there are R40a's and mods left. The mods are running in sets with R42.

- A

Yes. It's R40 by the way, not R40S. R40 is slantified. R40a has 2 versions, slanted and modified. All R40m are actually R40a with different ends.

I am pretty sure all of the R40 are gone, but there are R40a's and mods left. The mods are running in sets with R42.

- A

What what? They are R40 and R40M. I have never heard of an R40A on any data sheet from CED.

What what? They are R40 and R40M. I have never heard of an R40A on any data sheet from CED.

This is the R40 Class:

First Contract: R40

Second Contract: R40A (half of these are slants, however the alignment of the poles were different from the first contract cars; the second half were modified, hence R40M)

R40M is not an official designation.

This is the R40 Class:

First Contract: R40

Second Contract: R40A (half of these are slants, however the alignment of the poles were different from the first contract cars; the second half were modified, hence R40M)

R40M is not an official designation.

That's because cars 4150-4349, slants, were not air-conditioned. These are R40.

R40a: Cars 4350-4499 had air-conditioning in the original state (not the first, a few of the later R38s had them)

Cars 4450-4517 were the modified versions of the R40, all air-conditioned.

The R42 is really a slightly updated R40M.

That's because cars 4150-4349, slants, were not air-conditioned. These are R40.

R40a: Cars 4350-4499 had air-conditioning in the original state (not the first, a few of the later R38s had them)

Cars 4450-4517 were the modified versions of the R40, all air-conditioned.

The R42 is really a slightly updated R40M.

Yeah, that's why the poles were arranged different in the R40A order. I see the A order as an optional order.

You are right, that's why the modifieds always intermix with the R42. However, the doors connecting the paired cars are different that the ones found on the R40s.

Just to get back on topic:

(A): R32, 40M , 40A (Slope), 44, 46(2- 8 Set cars)

(C): R32

Those are the current assignments.

But the R32 might be off the (A)/© by late 2009/2010 from my own souce, seeing that it could be replaced by 46 same for R40A on the (A)..

While the original contracts were numbers R40 and R40A, current assignments and other documentation calls them either R40S and R40M or R40 and R40M. You won't find "R40A" on anything modern.

There shouldn't be though.

However the 'Modified' is only an unofficial designation used to differentiate the slant and the modified.

I don't quite know if you can call the designation used by the TA to be unofficial. While there is no car ordered under the R40M contract, the R40M is considered a fleet, as is the R40S. The "R40S" fleet is entirely assigned to Pitkin, while the "R40M" fleet is entirely assigned to Jamaica.

http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/bmt-ind-2008-12-21.html

The above shows what the MTA considers the units to be. (On models older than the R142, they include WH vs GE. Other than that, this is the same as the actual assignments.)

Much like while half the R32s were ordered under contract R32A, they are all known as R32. In the same manner, the 80 cars known under R142S are considered R142A.

Just to get back on topic:

(A): R32, 40M , 40A (Slope), 44, 46(2- 8 Set cars)

(C): R32

Those are the current assignments.

But the R32 might be off the (A)/© by late 2009/2010 from my own souce, seeing that it could be replaced by 46 same for R40A on the (A)..

R32's are not going anywhere until every R160 is on TA property, If there is a good amount of subway cars then the (C) can then use R44,46 and even R68A if possible but If there is not a great amont of subway cars to make the (C) full length then The R32's will have to stick around much longer.

I don't know why everybody wants them out so quick, Yeah they are old but They are in very good shape and They should stay for a little while longer.

The R32 will be fully replaced by the R160 order. The R160 order is quickly coming in, and the R40 fleet is fairly small at the moment. A majority of the R32 fleet has been retired, and that includes some Phase 1 R32s recently retired. While they are likely to be the last SMEE married pairs running, they arent going to last too much longer.

Archived