The blueprint for doomsday is here

CPBO

MTA rolls out year of slashing services

BY Rich Schapiro

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, April 8th 2009, 4:00 AM

The blueprint for doomsday is here.

The MTA on Tuesday unveiled a detailed time line for its withering service cuts to bus and transit lines - changes that will dramatically alter the face of public transportation in a city that thrives on it.

Transit officials say the sweeping rollbacks are necessary to plug a $1.2 billion budget gap unless state lawmakers can agree on a down-to-the-wire bailout package.

"While we continue to hope that Albany will reach agreement on a comprehensive plan for the MTA, we have no choice but to move toward implementation of these cuts and fare increases," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

"We are putting these details out now so that our customers can prepare for this unfortunate reality."

The cuts, starting this summer, will affect commuters from across the five boroughs:

- On June 28, 21 local bus routes will be axed and weekend service on a total of 10 subway lines will be drastically reduced.

- On July 26, all roving station agents will be cut, a total of 29 token booths will be eliminated and four subway stations will be shuttered overnight.

- On Sept. 6, express bus service lines will be cut.

- On Dec. 6, the Z and W lines will be terminated, and the G and M routes will be shortened.

The service cuts aren't the only bad news: sky-high fare hikes will hit the subways and buses May 31, raising the cost of a single ride from $2 to $2.50.

Albany lawmakers left town yesterday for a holiday break without reaching a deal, with Republicans and Democrats blaming each other for the impasse.

rschaprio@nydailynews.com

One NYC council member said something I do believe everyone should protest in front of 347 Madison Ave. for. That is MTA having a hundred million dollar headquarter, on 347 Madison Ave, when they could do it in an outer borough, or heck even in another city like Yonkers, or White plains, for a fraction of a fraction for what they are paying. I do believe they can get an office, the size they need not want, for maybe 2 million. They do not need that office there, with its marble and granite walls, and toilets fit for a king. I've been in there.......

One NYC council member said something I do believe everyone should protest in front of 347 Madison Ave. for. That is MTA having a hundred million dollar headquarter, on 347 Madison Ave, when they could do it in an outer borough, or heck even in another city like Yonkers, or White plains, for a fraction of a fraction for what they are paying. I do believe they can get an office, the size they need not want, for maybe 2 million. They do not need that office there, with its marble and granite walls, and toilets fit for a king. I've been in there.......

I personally think that luxurious items or furniture in the office is a distraction from the purpose which is to..hmm..work? Why would you need those extra things...what, will that inspire to work harder or something?

CPBO no offense but if you read the off topic section on these boards i posted a NY1 video on 'same story' a few days ago.

MTA rolls out year of slashing services

BY Rich Schapiro

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, April 8th 2009, 4:00 AM

The blueprint for doomsday is here.

The MTA on Tuesday unveiled a detailed time line for its withering service cuts to bus and transit lines - changes that will dramatically alter the face of public transportation in a city that thrives on it.

Transit officials say the sweeping rollbacks are necessary to plug a $1.2 billion budget gap unless state lawmakers can agree on a down-to-the-wire bailout package.

"While we continue to hope that Albany will reach agreement on a comprehensive plan for the MTA, we have no choice but to move toward implementation of these cuts and fare increases," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

"We are putting these details out now so that our customers can prepare for this unfortunate reality."

The cuts, starting this summer, will affect commuters from across the five boroughs:

- On June 28, 21 local bus routes will be axed and weekend service on a total of 10 subway lines will be drastically reduced.

- On July 26, all roving station agents will be cut, a total of 29 token booths will be eliminated and four subway stations will be shuttered overnight.

- On Sept. 6, express bus service lines will be cut.

- On Dec. 6, the Z and W lines will be terminated, and the G and M routes will be shortened.

The service cuts aren't the only bad news: sky-high fare hikes will hit the subways and buses May 31, raising the cost of a single ride from $2 to $2.50.

Albany lawmakers left town yesterday for a holiday break without reaching a deal, with Republicans and Democrats blaming each other for the impasse.

rschaprio@nydailynews.com

Archived