"Thank You For Riding..." Annoucement?

DarrylR.14

For some reason, every time I think of the NYC subway, it makes me think of this quote:

"From all the employees serving the five boroughs for bus and subway transit, we say: Thank you for riding the New York City Metropolitan Transit Authority, the MTA, that is 'going your way.'"

and I've wondered, do they every say a "thank you for riding..." after the last stop and they used the words similar to what I said? I'm just curious.

and a sidenote: I don't know if its true or not, but did the MTA ever did a jingle around 2002 before Christmas. I know its a long way back but its feels like it happened before. Again, just curious about it.

It would be great to get some answers on these questions and if there is any topic/thread made before, please post it here. Thanks!

For some reason, every time I think of the NYC subway, it makes me think of this quote:

"From all the employees serving the five boroughs for bus and subway transit, we say: Thank you for riding the New York City Metropolitan Transit Authority, the MTA, that is 'going your way.'"

and I've wondered, do they every say a "thank you for riding..." after the last stop and they used the words similar to what I said? I'm just curious.

and a sidenote: I don't know if its true or not, but did the MTA ever did a jingle around 2002 before Christmas. I know its a long way back but its feels like it happened before. Again, just curious about it.

It would be great to get some answers on these questions and if there is any topic/thread made before, please post it here. Thanks!

Not only do they say it at the terminals, but also randomly out of nowhere.

The message is "Thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit".

Ah ok, yet it seems like quote" MTA, that is going you way" came from somewhere but I don't know or it was made up, I'm not sure but thanks for the info.

Not only do they say it at the terminals, but also randomly out of nowhere.

Ok, Thanks!

They also say it after unexpected service disruptions:

Heard at Prospect Park:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this (Q) train is being held in the station due to a customer needing medical assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit."

The MTA's slogan is 'Going Your Way', which is why it sounds familiar.

Heard at Prospect Park:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this (Q) train is being held in the station due to a customer needing medical assistance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit."

IIRC, it's actually "Going on your way"

They used to have MTA ads on public TV like 10 yrs ago.

Heard at Prospect Park:

Oh ok. Wow that quote ("Thank you for riding...")does come at random times, like what MTR said.

IIRC, it's actually "Going on your way"

They used to have MTA ads on public TV like 10 yrs ago.

...this kind of brought up to the second question I asked but there was some sort of jingle (for the Christmas schedule or such I think)

Oh ok. Wow that quote ("Thank you for riding...")does come at random times, like what MTR said.

...this kind of brought up to the second question I asked but there was some sort of jingle (for the Christmas schedule or such I think)

I forgot what the ad said, it was just advocacy to the public. They featured trains and buses. And then everyone's "favourite" slogan.

Yes they are preprogrammed into the NTT's. The conductor by rule book is supposed to play the "if you see a suspicious package or activity" once every 15 minutes. not sure if there are rules about the others but they exist in the system for the C/R to play as needed, so if the train sits in a station for a long time and the C/R has trouble closing down odds are he'll be playing the "for your safety please do not block the doors while the train is in the station" or the "please do not hold the car doors open..." announcements. a lot of times the C/R will run through them all when going through an under river tube, over a bridge, or on a long express run...

my favorite is the one to use trash receptacles because they actually used the word "receptacles" when addressing the genius riding public...

Yes they are preprogrammed into the NTT's. The conductor by rule book is supposed to play the "if you see a suspicious package or activity" once every 15 minutes. not sure if there are rules about the others but they exist in the system for the C/R to play as needed, so if the train sits in a station for a long time and the C/R has trouble closing down odds are he'll be playing the "for your safety please do not block the doors while the train is in the station" or the "please do not hold the car doors open..." announcements. a lot of times the C/R will run through them all when going through an under river tube, over a bridge, or on a long express run...

my favorite is the one to use trash receptacles because they actually used the word "receptacles" when addressing the genius riding public...

Oh come on Subwayguy, the geese are not that dumb! B)

Every 15??? Wow, then I'm seeing a load of violations already! B)

Oh my... NYC subway got weirder after I left...

Remembered that from the C/R exam? :)

Guest Charles

er...was this like teh commercial that featured Santa Claus or something?

Yes they are preprogrammed into the NTT's. The conductor by rule book is supposed to play the "if you see a suspicious package or activity" once every 15 minutes.

Actually it's noted as per a Bulletin, not the Rule Book. :(

WAIIIIT A SECOND! You mean you don't need to be a member of MENSA to ride a train?! ah•go•nee!!

I think it's stated as such in order to deceive the listener into feeling intelligent... and then they unplug their iPods wondering why they didn't know the train was being rerouted despite the many announcements!:mad:

Archived