The official NJT abandoned stations thread

metsfan

Very neat stuff! :tup:

I would love to go check out some stations on the WTL. One in hopewell and one i forget where, but they are about the same size & still fully intact.

- A

I have pictures of the old Reading line stations that I will add when I get time(don't have them on rrpa.net), you have Hopewell, Belle Meade, and another one who I can't remember the name of.

I pass by Belle Meade all the time on Rt 206 and it's still standing quite well. I'm planning to shoot a music video there for my band during the summer. Does anyone know what are the times that CSX runs their trains through there during the day?

I pass by Belle Meade all the time on Rt 206 and it's still standing quite well. I'm planning to shoot a music video there for my band during the summer. Does anyone know what are the times that CSX runs their trains through there during the day?

Anytime they feel like CSX is not scheduled like NS.

Ok, i got some official (NJT) news & thought i'd post it here first.

(NJT) wants to re-activate the WTL, however here is one thing standing in the way, and that is track capacity on the :rvl:.

I have been told by (NJT) representative in email that once track capacity issue is fixed on :rvl: by adding one more track (which is the plan as of now), WTL will be given a de-facto green light pending zoning and community feedback.

If those 3 issues are properly resolved, which i think they easily would be, the only thing left would be funding.

According to the email, all of the now abandoned stations would be re-activated. Not sure if a new building would be put there, it would make more sense to save money and use the original structures.

This email basically outlines a "important as soon as the vital things are done" attitude towards the WTL re-activation. Meaning that ARC and portal bridge and the new penn station expansion and :rvl: track construction has priority. So, these stations, re-using the old station houses or not, will remain for the short term abandoned, but not even close to forgotten by (NJT).

Sounds like some really smart people are doing their best to steer (NJT) into the future. :tup:

- A

NJT wants to reactivate pretty much every dammed line in the state for passenger service if you have not realized by now (look at the 2020 map and you will see), they can't do the WTL until they have capacity with ARC and more power available(dualmodes). Not to mention theres that issue of CSX/NS wanting a flyover while NJT wants to cross at grade via diamond.

NJT wants to do the much needed MOM line, the Lackawanna Cut-off(which finally has 7 miles being built...after how many years?), the West Trenton Line, expansion of the HBLR, RIVER Line, etc etc. but theres no capacity in NYP yet so nothing can be done.

Don't read to much into what your told it changes every single day with them. They send me generic emails every time I suggest or ask about expansion projects.

Sorry for the rant, but I have been trying for years for NJT expansion with no luck, since I was 14 I have been attending as many meetings as possible with regards to NJT and expansion, I'll continue to go to meetings and have a say but we have to be realistic and it comes down to ARC comes first for now.

I think the Lackawanna Cutoff is put into first priority here. Besides, all the other lines such as West Trenton were cut back in the day due to low ridership. It wouldn't make much sense to reactivate them just to anticipate the same results. The Lackawanna Cutoff is a different story since the passenger services ended immediately when Erie Lackawanna bankrupted. However, freight service continued until Conrail abandoned it in favor of another route. NJT should've bought it back in the early 80s when one track was still intact.

And are you serious about NJT wanting diamond crossover? That method hadn't been used in the country for decades.

Yes all reports say NJT wants a diamond or at grade crossing of CSX/NS...I don't understand why but that whats been floating around. Thats a major reason why this project has not moved.

As for projects that would work the Cut-off will work its just a matter of getting agencies in PA and NJ on the same page.

MOM will work since the area in which it would go is very densely populated and has a traffic problems (Route 9 and more bus service won't cut it). Also these lines lost passenger service before the NJT takeover. WT ended under NJT.

This was actually in response to a question i submitted for the "town hall transit" event that was last wednesday at noon.

I also asked about fares decreasing due to the federal funding being handed out from the ARRA bill. They responded to that by telling me there are no plans to raise fares in the next 2 years, but they cannot use the funding to decrease fares due to it all ready going to portal bridge stuff, ARC stuff, the NYP expansion and :rvl: track.

I am guessing fares may be increased slightly once the alp-45 and new emu start being delivered.:tdown: There is a chance that additional transit funding from the feds could stave off fare increases for an additional 5 years according to several bills i've been informed about set to be introduced during the next year.:tup:

:)

- A

Archived