Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Trainspotter

MTA rolls out year of slashing services

The blueprint for doomsday is here.

The MTA on Tuesday unveiled a detailed time line for its withering service cuts to bus and transit lines - changes that will dramatically alter the face of public transportation in a city that thrives on it.

Transit officials say the sweeping rollbacks are necessary to plug a $1.2 billion budget gap unless state lawmakers can agree on a down-to-the-wire bailout package.

"While we continue to hope that Albany will reach agreement on a comprehensive plan for the MTA, we have no choice but to move toward implementation of these cuts and fare increases," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

"We are putting these details out now so that our customers can prepare for this unfortunate reality."

The cuts, starting this summer, will affect commuters from across the five boroughs:

- On June 28, 21 local bus routes will be axed and weekend service on a total of 10 subway lines will be drastically reduced.

- On July 26, all roving station agents will be cut, a total of 29 token booths will be eliminated and four subway stations will be shuttered overnight.

- On Sept. 6, express bus service lines will be cut.

- On Dec. 6, the Z and W lines will be terminated, and the G and M routes will be shortened.

The service cuts aren't the only bad news: sky-high fare hikes will hit the subways and buses May 31, raising the cost of a single ride from $2 to $2.50.

Albany lawmakers left town yesterday for a holiday break without reaching a deal, with Republicans and Democrats blaming each other for the impasse.

BY Rich Schapiro

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

April 10th 2009

post-5-133288580575_thumb.jpg

post-5-133288580575_thumb.jpg

It's official...Albany doesn't give a crap about us. I'm writing Obama...it might not solve much but at least he'll listen.

HAHAHAHA

Watch out for Hudson River.....he will tell you he already posted this in a video......:)

It's official...Albany doesn't give a crap about us. I'm writing Obama...it might not solve much but at least he'll listen.

yea, i'm sure he's going to open YOUR letter. I think he has other things to worry about.

yea, i'm sure he's going to open YOUR letter. I think he has other things to worry about.

beats sittin around here whining about the cuts....

i have a feeling there wont be any cuts, if any,minor ones........

Lol, you must be crazy...they already voted on them and the only thing stopping them from going all out is voting on each service cut and an (MTA) bailout which is definitely not going to happen...

As i've said before, if this does happen i will boycott. I may not be a NY voter, but i can vote just as well with my money.

- A

Don't worry everyone, you see there will be no service cuts. See, I'm God. Yup. I'll let you absorb that for a minute. I have been observing Earth for a long while and decided these cuts and fare hikes are too much. The (MTA) has to go though me before implementing any of these cuts and hikes. I disapprove. Well, I have to hit the ole dusty trail...

:P

Don't worry everyone, you see there will be no service cuts. See, I'm God. Yup. I'll let you absorb that for a minute. I have been observing Earth for a long while and decided these cuts and fare hikes are too much. The (MTA) has to go though me before implementing any of these cuts and hikes. I disapprove. Well, I have to hit the ole dusty trail...

:)

Man, I hope God gives the 11th Commandment.

11th Commandment:

Thou shalt not raise fares.

Man, I hope God gives the 11th Commandment.

11th Commandment:

Thou shalt not raise fares.

You guys are funny! :)

Here's mine: Cheat if thou has to.