R160 coming out of far rockaway!!

NYtransit

I really wish that after the R44s and R46s are gone that the A train would be a majority of R179s with a few sets of R160As. It really seems that the R160As are going to dominate the IND, while the R160Bs are going to dominate the BMT.

Stop foaming people, all R160's test at the rockaways upon delivery before burn testing.

Exactly, they do preliminary testing on that stretch of track near Broad Channel. After that they would be taken to their destined yards. This train might be heading to Jamaica, I'm not quite sure though.

They probably test out of the track instead of the sea beach because there is no chance of a customer being on the tracks. On the sea beach a customer could be on the tracks due to the station platforms.

Let's ask ourselves where these cars came from when they first entered the system.

207th, right???

That is correct they enter from 207th the same place that they entered from when they were also testing on the sea beach line. It doesn't matter where they enter the system from.

No, but the tracks at Rockaway are immediately accessible from 207th. And from there, they could go to their destined yards. Sea Beach tested the base order of R160Bs and the R160A-2 (base order) that later went to CI.

There would be a lot of switching to get to Sea Beach from 207.

Exactly, the cars are coming from upstate NY and are delivered to 207th street yard, which I'm sure most people know serves the (A) train, which goes to the Rockaways...

After that, it goes to the destined home yard for actual burn testing. Moving it to Sea Beach would require a lot of moves. The Rockaways though do not require that many moves. They can move the trains to the Rockaways at night, when the A is local.

Archived