Microsoft: Avoid Macs - Cash in on Windows Value

mark1447

220pxmicrosoftwordmarksvb2.png

By the looks of it, Microsoft will only stop advertising the price advantage of Windows PCs over Apple Macs when it will be preaching in vain to the “choir” of consumers that have assimilated the fact as an ubiquitous reality. The bottom line is that Windows PCs are, indeed, cheaper than Macs, and Microsoft is simply striving effortlessly to drive home a point already evident to consumers with basic comparative capabilities.

Still, while continuing to push the concept of an Apple tax, the Redmond company is inherently tying Apple to higher costs, a move that will undoubtedly hurt the Cupertino-based hardware company, especially in the context of the economic downturn. A Microsoft-sponsored whitepaper from Roger Kay of Endpoint Technologies Associates indicates that buying two PCs over two Macs could save a hypothetical family of four no less than $3,367.

The “paper shows the ‘Apple tax’ is the combination of what people pay up front when purchasing a Mac and what people pay over the life of their computer – the hidden tax,” Brandon LeBlanc, Windows communications manager on the Windows Client Communications Team, revealed. “Roger looked into both aspects in his whitepaper, and has discovered some interesting findings around the ‘hidden tax’ of owning a Mac – using the scenario of a hypothetical family of 4 and their costs over a five-year period.”

Just by buying a Dell Inspiron 15 and a HP d5100t over a MacBook and a Mac Pro, consumers could save $1,751. But at the same time, both the PCs and the Mac computers need additional software, services and support and upgrades. Here is where Microsoft is stretching it a tad, and critics have been fast to slap the Redmond company on the wrist for this, arguing that users don't really need MobileMe, which, in the end, is optional. But still, the Apple tax whitepaper is nothing more than a marketing move, and although it may offer a perspective that some consumers do not share, it is not like Apple stuck perfectly to reality when it did its marketing campaigns attacking Windows. Microsoft feels that it's simply the right time to return the favor.

“It is human nature to focus on the up-front price. The coverage around our Laptop Hunters ads jumps right to that (‘PCs are cheaper’). The harder thing to capture is the overall cost and the VALUE. Roger’s paper does a great job illustrating this. Cost is getting something cheaper. Value is a function of getting more of what you want, regardless of what you spend. And you’re a lot more likely to find that with a Windows PC,” LeBlanc added.

Microsoft-Avoid-Macs-Cash-in-on-Windows-Value-3.jpgMicrosoft-Avoid-Macs-Cash-in-on-Windows-Value-4.jpgMicrosoft-Avoid-Macs-Cash-in-on-Windows-Value-5.jpgMicrosoft-Avoid-Macs-Cash-in-on-Windows-Value-6.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qui43P1kztw

SOURCE: SOFTPEDIA!

Subscribe to Microsoft's Windows Videos =]! http://www.youtube.com/user/WindowsVideos

Microsoft doesn't sell computers. This is a last ditch effort by msft to try and stop apple from gaining market share. Please don't post any marketing advertisements as news in the future. Thanks.

- A

Microsoft doesn't sell computers. This is a last ditch effort by msft to try and stop apple from gaining market share. Please don't post any marketing advertisements as news in the future. Thanks.

- A

Im not promoting anything thats ads, this is news: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Avoid-Macs-Cash-in-on-Windows-Value-109191.shtml

It's marketing stuff. Trying to convince people you need a portable usb drive and blu-ray and including things that most people don't purchase or need is not news. It's called a biased contrast claim. People use it not only in marketing, but in politics, legal cases, and project design competitions. Another thing is blindly listing items, such as microsoft word, touting it as something "missing" from macs, when apple all ready has its own suite of both free and pay software to complete the same task.

Apple makes premium computing and electronic products, they make the software and hardware, and have strict filters on 3rd party software and hardware. This is done to protect the user experience.

Microsoft makes the OS for the computer, an OS that has been repeatedly proven to be a knock off of apple's OS. It does not make computers. It does however make other products such as accessories and various apps.

If all you are concerned about is price, then you obviously don't care about the quality or user experience of the product you're looking to purchase.

I don't want to offend anyone at all because i do understand that not everyone has a prodigious financial situation, but the point of buying something isn't for it to be lowest bidder cheap as you can get it, because that stalls innovation and at the same time brings the standard down. If apple put out a 400 dollar complete system, you can be sure it would be cheap to look at and to the touch. The plastic macbooks is such an example. Now they are a lil more expensive, and made from solid metal. I don't think there even is a "pc" that offers that.

Point is, if you want to fly concorde, yes it will cost more. If you want to fly coach on a regional aircraft with 4 connections, go for it, but the "apple tax" idea is nothing more than a marketing ploy to try and get people to ignore the huge difference in quality and innovation between the 2 "worlds" of computing. It isn't news.

- A

I see the Mac vs. PC argument to be the same as the point & shoot vs. DSLR argument. Both do a great job at taking photos, it's just that some people prefer different ways to take those photos.

I see the Mac vs. PC argument to be the same as the point & shoot vs. DSLR argument. Both do a great job at taking photos, it's just that some people prefer different ways to take those photos.
The funny thing is that Mac's ARE PC's, yet their users act like they are completely different.

The funny thing is that Mac's ARE PC's, yet their users act like they are completely different.

I distinguish them simply because OS X runs without a hack on my Mac, but on any other PC you need to do whatever osx86 requires (looked into it, figured it wasn't worth my time).

Don't worry Julio, i'm not going around trying to evangelise everyone! :eek:

Edit: that, and i've been using Macs since they were still 68k, it's a bad habit more than anything else. Hell, I even have XP on my Mac for when I feel like running BVE or Train Sim.

I distinguish them simply because OS X runs without a hack on my Mac, but on any other PC you need to do whatever osx86 requires (looked into it, figured it wasn't worth my time).

Don't worry Julio, i'm not going around trying to evangelise everyone! :eek:

Edit: that, and i've been using Macs since they were still 68k, it's a bad habit more than anything else. Hell, I even have XP on my Mac for when I feel like running BVE or Train Sim.

PC = Personal Computer, therefore Mac's = PC's.

Exactly. You can't compare macs to pc's.

- A

Macs are PCs, the correct comparison would be you can't compare OSX to Windows.

Windows is an os, it ends there. Apples' Mac is a wholly unified system from top to bottom from one company available in one box from one place using primarily in-house designs. You can't compare them. I'm done trying to prove my point, if you want to believe that apple's offerings are overpriced, then you do that, but please do also try to use a dell using dell's OS. Oh, wait....

- A

Windows is an os, it ends there. Apples' Mac is a wholly unified system from top to bottom from one company available in one box from one place using primarily in-house designs. You can't compare them. I'm done trying to prove my point, if you want to believe that apple's offerings are overpriced, then you do that, but please do also try to use a dell using dell's OS. Oh, wait....

- A

The hardware that runs OSX is no different than any other machine, you know that Intel Dual Core that Mac's use? well I got one of them on my machine running windows, well there goes your whole unified system and "in-house" design point out the window. The only difference is the OS.

Exactly. You can't compare macs to pc's.

- A

well i understand the marketing thank for clearing it and sry..

Anyways like julio says u can compare pcs from macs

Macs are very expensive.. PCs are not. There is a Lot of software compatibility for Microsoft's Windows PCs. Macs ... almost... Only problem was when Vista came out thats when lots of programs and hardware had problems with the OS. It had to do with the Version of the OS... as Vista is 6.0 and XP and older is 5.x which would mean many apps/hardware works with the 5x...

I would admit macs have a great design and features, but, i dont like macs cuz of the cost and the support policy they offer.. Microsoft offers a perfect amount of yrs for support, macs, like 3 yrs plus 1 yr after the release of there new OS..

well i understand the marketing thank for clearing it and sry..

Anyways like julio says u can compare pcs from macs

Macs are very expensive.. PCs are not. There is a Lot of software compatibility for Microsoft's Windows PCs. Macs ... almost... Only problem was when Vista came out thats when lots of programs and hardware had problems with the OS. It had to do with the Version of the OS... as Vista is 6.0 and XP and older is 5.x which would mean many apps/hardware works with the 5x...

I would admit macs have a great design and features, but, i dont like macs cuz of the cost and the support policy they offer.. Microsoft offers a perfect amount of yrs for support, macs, like 3 yrs plus 1 yr after the release of there new OS..

Well PC companies should give more warranty to the Microsoft PCs right? After all, they are the computers that get ravaged by viruses and other malicious software.

Well, warrenty costs money. So, prices will get knocked up or these PC companies will be in debt! Apple is just ripping off customers!

Not really. I mean, you really can't compare them like that. Perhaps it was the development that made OS X computers more expensive than the MS-DOS computers.

I personally cant stand Macs. Everything is proprietary, and an Apple costs much more. Most ppl who buy Apples buy for the image, the "coolness factor",etc.

Plus Apple folks are weird, almost cult like, just walk in an Apple store.

A PC has many more advantages when it comes to compatability. And it costs significantly less.

Archived