Question about R142\R142a

Guest MTA Bus

i forgot why that failed...

And you can do the same thing with any train with married parts i think

Such as: R32/R38 , R40S/M with R42. R44/46(I think), R62/62A i think, 68/68a same..

R26/28/29/33/36.......... going on lol =]!

You can put NTT with NTT, and SMEE with SMEE. (Just thinking without the necessary techie stuff) I forgot the case with R44s and R46s. (I think it was either the couplers or the way they charge up killed the ability to couple them together)

Different brake pressures, right?

all cars in our system except the R44s and R46s use the same couplers, so you can link any subway car together in the division, but only R40M/42s can safely operate on one train. i think the slants and modified cars can do that as well, but that does not happen due to the design of the car.

all cars in our system except the R44s and R46s use the same couplers, so you can link any subway car together in the division, but only R40M/42s can safely operate on one train. i think the slants and modified cars can do that as well, but that does not happen due to the design of the car.

Read over that post again. You missed what almost everyone posted here.

Outside the 44/46s, the SMEE fleet can be coupled together but not to any NTTs and vice versa. (And expect to operate fine) Only the R32/R38s, R40M/R42, R160A/R160B have been ran together at one time or another.

You can put NTT with NTT, and SMEE with SMEE. (Just thinking without the necessary techie stuff) I forgot the case with R44s and R46s. (I think it was either the couplers or the way they charge up killed the ability to couple them together)

so this means you can couple an R68 with an R26 more a like? lol

You most certainly can make a train of R26s and R68s. The only issue I see is where the hell you would run such a train

In yard moves, R68-R40-R33 has happenned on numerous occasions. (also with R32 and R42 in such a train.) I used to see such trains all the time in CIYD

R142s and R142As can work together, it just isn't smooth.

R68 and R68A ran together regularly on the B and N in the late 1990s. R62 and R62A can (in theory at least,) run together as well, but such is never done.

Two types of coupler are in use on the system. H2C on the R10-68(except for the R44-46) and the New Tech couplers which are also on the R44/46s. Also, much of the work equipment has MCBs.

You most certainly can make a train of R26s and R68s. The only issue I see is where the hell you would run such a train

In yard moves, R68-R40-R33 has happenned on numerous occasions. (also with R32 and R42 in such a train.) I used to see such trains all the time in CIYD

R68 and R68A ran together regularly on the B and N in the late 1990s. R62 and R62A can (in theory at least,) run together as well, but such is never done.

Two types of coupler are in use on the system. H2C on the R10-68(except for the R44-46) and the New Tech couplers which are also on the R44/46s. Also, much of the work equipment has MCBs.

Yeah I've seen R68-R40 combinations at Concourse when the R40s were still there.

I think the NTT couplers are called Ohio Brass.

Can You Put A R142 & A R142A In The Same Train ?

If I remember correct it was tried and it's "possible" per se but the results were not good...the ride was not very smooth b/c of the different propulsions...one of the sets ended up being "faster" than the other and if it wasn't heading the whole consist, it'd bump the other cars forward leading to more bucking than usual and just all around not a good ride.

So technically, yes, but you'll never see it done because it makes no sense to, adds wear to the equipment, and doesn't provide a comfortable ride.

technically, the big issues that affect compatability are:

Brake system (make, air pressure spec)

couplers (obviously)

can't think of anything else off my head at the moment,

but that is why the R142 and R142A arent compatible, but the R160A alstoms and R160B alstoms and R160B siemens are compatible. because of these brake specs:

R142: Wabco RT-5

R142A: Wabco RT-96

R143: Wabco RT-96

R160A,B: Wabco RT-5

so technically speaking, it is theoretically possible to operate R142's with R160's, and R143's with R142A's. but there are probably other issues besides differences in dimentions that make this pointless.

propulsion doesn't necessarily have to be the same (as demonstrated by BART, WMATA, MBTA green line). As long as the brakes and couplers and etc. systems are compatible.

and remember, i'm talking about pure running of the train, nothing about revenue operation (which includes door operation stuff and etc.)

technically, the big issues that affect compatability are:

Brake system (make, air pressure spec)

couplers (obviously)

can't think of anything else off my head at the moment,

but that is why the R142 and R142A arent compatible, but the R160A alstoms and R160B alstoms and R160B siemens are compatible. because of these brake specs:

R142: Wabco RT-5

R142A: Wabco RT-96

R143: Wabco RT-96

R160A,B: Wabco RT-5

so technically speaking, it is theoretically possible to operate R142's with R160's, and R143's with R142A's. but there are probably other issues besides differences in dimentions that make this pointless.

propulsion doesn't necessarily have to be the same (as demonstrated by BART, WMATA, MBTA green line). As long as the brakes and couplers and etc. systems are compatible.

and remember, i'm talking about pure running of the train, nothing about revenue operation (which includes door operation stuff and etc.)

No it has been done before, R142 and R142A have run and can run together despite the different braking systems. There were test trains that popped up periodically several years ago that were mixed...It has been done before! but the results were not good (see my earlier post) so it will never be done in passenger service barring some kind of major modification. However it is possible to hook them up to each other and run, it just won't work very well so you'll never see it done in practice.

Archived