Do you think the automated announcements on the Orion VII Next Gen are annoying?

Dave160

For those whom don't like the announcements on the NG's.....guess what Apple made I-Pods, Sansa, Zune, Sony make MP-3 players.....so try using them and they come with earbuds....listen to your music. Its a bus and it speeds up the process of exiting the back door. Its better than a B/O shouting out "PLEASE MOVE TO THE REAR OF THE BUS"....why b/c ppl are foolish to get on a crowded bus intead of waiting for another one and/or they choose to block the rear doors or want to walk from the back to exit the front of the bus. So stop complaining...lawd have mercy!

For those whom don't like the announcements on the NG's.....guess what Apple made I-Pods, Sansa, Zune, Sony make MP-3 players.....so try using them and they come with earbuds....listen to your music. Its a bus and it speeds up the process of exiting the back door. Its better than a B/O shouting out "PLEASE MOVE TO THE REAR OF THE BUS"....why b/c ppl are foolish to get on a crowded bus intead of waiting for another one and/or they choose to block the rear doors or want to walk from the back to exit the front of the bus. So stop complaining...lawd have mercy!

Word.

It encourages people to move toward the back when exiting. I'm not saying everybody does it, there are still people exiting through the front. Like how else are you going to get everyone to exit at the rear (nicely)?

• 2 weeks later...
That's actually a good idea, but won't they need GPS for it?

When I rode the M34 Crosstown bus. The first thing I noticed was a computer next to the farebox. I was shocked when I realized it was a GPS Unit with a big screen. It told the operator if he/she was on route or not. That wasn't the best part. It made automatic announcements to the General Public using the PA System.

Although I found it to be useful on crosstown buses, cause it was very informative as given detailed announcements. Including the cross street of the intersection, available transfers and connections.

While just going a few stops. It dawned on me that this could get quite annoying on other routes that have many stops. For instance, lines that travel N/B to S/B and vice versa. Maybe they should only announce the limited stops.

i hear the automated announcements on RTS' on the M57. Its the one that says "You are reminded fare on local and limited busses is $2, and $5 on express busses. Upon payment of the cash fare, only 3 children, under 48 inches tall, are permitted to ride for free"

To be honest, I've never been on a O7 NG.

When I rode the M34 Crosstown bus. The first thing I noticed was a computer next to the farebox. I was shocked when I realized it was a GPS Unit with a big screen. It told the operator if he/she was on route or not. That wasn't the best part. It made automatic announcements to the General Public using the PA System.

Although I found it to be useful on crosstown buses, cause it was very informative as given detailed announcements. Including the cross street of the intersection, available transfers and connections.

While just going a few stops. It dawned on me that this could get quite annoying on other routes that have many stops. For instance, lines that travel N/B to S/B and vice versa. Maybe they should only announce the limited stops.

That's neat!

I remembered I was on an artic (M15) with a GPS unit. There were announcements made, and there was a LED too, scrolling the message.

But I agree, that should be reserved for limited stops on routes that ply the avenues down Manhattan.

also the Long island bus has Automated Announcements.

Most transit systems has Automated Announcements on old/new buses.

Also the NOVABus RTS 9624 has Automated Announcements and there in image to prove it: http://www.ttmg.org/photos/tlogan/NYCB_Nova_Clever-Devices.jpg

(NOT MINE PICTURE)

I saw this picture and only 9624 has Automated Announcements since it has a clever device.

i hear the automated announcements on RTS' on the M57. Its the one that says "You are reminded fare on local and limited busses is $2, and $5 on express busses. Upon payment of the cash fare, only 3 children, under 48 inches tall, are permitted to ride for free"

All buses say that....so technically that's not an automated announcement!

let's try to remember - automated announcement systems are on buses for the visually and hearing impaired community. announcing only major stops prohibits the visually and hearing impaired community from using fixed route buses.

I hate that announcement. It's played on every bus, IINM.

I hate that announcement. It's played on every bus, IINM.

Me too. They should get rid of it. I mean, everyone in New Work City SHOULD already know how much the fare is.

It's on every timetable and farebox. They shouldn't reiterate it every X minutes.

If you're on the bus already, I assume you know what the fare is, even if you're a tourist...

Quick thought about the fare annoucements. Lets say you are a fare beater, and you sit down and then the bus stops in the middle of the block cause the bus driver seen a police officer and called them over. You cant tell the cop you did not know the fare was 2dollars. It also lets fare beaters know they are doing something wrong. The annoucements plays every 15 mins. The "please use the rear door" annoucement really works and is only broadcasted when requesting a stop by pressing the bell.

Archived