Do you think the automated announcements on the Orion VII Next Gen are annoying?

Dave160

Do you think the automated announcements on the Orion VII Next Gen are annoying? Like everytime someone pushes the Stop requested button it always says "Please exit through the rear door", and the other various announcements that play. I know some people that are about to go on a rampage if they keep hearing the announcement over and over and some other people who just dont care. Personally, i'm neutral, and sometimes kinda find it funny.

Hell yeah it's annoying

I personally haven't rode on 'em enough to find it annoying.... But if you're an everyday rider on those buses, I can see where it can be.... b/c as was pretty much said, there's too many syllables on that phrase/announcement; "please exit through the rear door"... The point can be made w/o much verbiage....

I like the announcements, it's a nice change from hearing nothing, maybe because I'm not used to new buses.

I like the announcements on CS's NG's better than JAM's NG's but I still like them both, I hear a female voice on the Q20/44 and a male voice on the Q85 so it's a better than just having just one voice.

They're starting to annoy me because its the same thing every 30 seconds. They should only be played every couple of stops not every time the button is pressed. I hope they could be disabled, I know if they bother me they must bother the bus drivers because they have to hear it all day.

Lets understand one key point on the automated announcements. As I pull into a stop, If the number of customers boarding is high, I like having people who are leaving the bus exiting through the rear door. It speeds up the time it takes to board new customers and have them either drop coins into the farebox, or "dip" their cards. As for the Public Service announcements: They are invaluable in assisting customers with information so they DO NOT speak to me while I am driving.

There are alot of tourists in our city. They have not been on a NYC Bus or train before. The announcements concerning the cash fare, Priority Seating or any number of the other announcements we have give them answers to their questions. Having a map of bus routes behind the driver is also a very useful tool to keep from continually getting the same question: How do I get to......

As a bus Operator, I want all the help I can get from the system so I can concentrate on my driving and not get distracted. Distraction leads to accidents, both on the bus and in collisions with other vehicles & pedestrians.(MTA)

However, for 'non tourist' areas like Brooklyn, most people don't care about the 'move to the rear doors'. They still proceed to exit via the front doors, even some from the middle of the bus and closer to the back!

If there was some way to force people to exit the back than to hold up the bus by exiting from the front, then things would be much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived