MTA project derails NoHo merchants

Trainspotter

As if times weren't hard enough.

NoHo business owners are up in arms over a subway construction project that has transformed their sidewalk into a pit of mud and maze of fencing.

"It's already bad with the economy, and now we have this," said Jack Wu, owner of Adore Floral, looking at the mess along Lafayette St. between Houston and Bleecker.

"It's definitely affected the walk-in traffic. ... The timing couldn't be any worse."

Wu, along with other shop owners on the block, said business was struggling before the work crews and heavy machinery took over their strip last month.

Soon the sidewalk was gone. Workers installed fencing around a makeshift walkway, allowing pedestrians to enter only at the end of the block.

A cement truck blocks the walkway for several minutes every day and, merchants say, the earsplitting noise and swirling dust give people even more reason to stay away.

"It's a lot of noise, a lot of dust - all day," said Mia Kwon, manager of Save Khaki, a clothing store.

"With the economy the way it is, they couldn't have picked a worse time. And this is just the beginning."

Indeed, work on the $133 million project to connect the uptown (6) train platform at the Bleecker St. station with the (:P, (D), (F) and (V) lines at Broadway-Lafayette is expected to continue on the east side of Lafayette until December.

NYC Transit spokesman James Anyansi said the agency has taken steps to limit impact, including posting signs in the subway making clear the shops remain open.

"We regret the inconvenience," Anyansi said, "but this is work that has to be done."

The store owners disagree.

"I don't think this is urgent at a time of crisis," said Anthony Sabatier, owner of Autonomy Salon.

A couple of doors down, Eye Candy, a boutique jewelry shop, is also experiencing woes.

Over the past month, several flummoxed customers have called the store from across the street, asking the same question: How do we get in?

"It's like a maze out there," said salesman Paul Ingratta, 47. "And all of the machinery is a putoff, especially in this city with cranes falling left and right."

Harriet Fields, executive director of the NOHO NY Business Improvement District, said there is a silver lining to the shops' hardships: When the work is completed, it will be a boon to the neighborhood.

Until then, Fields conceded, the shop owners can do little but grin and bear it.

"[The work] just has to be done, and they're doing it," Fields said. "But unfortunately, these stores are suffering."

Yasue Yang, general manager of Pinche Taqueria, a popular Mexican eatery, was decidedly more blunt, saying: "It's killing us."

Making it inside the taqueria is particularly difficult because a monstrous yellow backhoe is parked right in front, surrounded by fencing.

"It makes us inaccessible," Yang said. "We're losing one-quarter of our normal business."

BY Rich Schapiro

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

April 13th 2009

post-5-133288580578_thumb.jpg

Tell them to get over it, they are getting in the way of progress. This project has been needed since the IND station opened. Plus I have walked down there many times since they started doing work and if you want to ho into one of those stores its very easy. Its also cool to see the brick work of the IRT tunnel too.

Well, it is kinda like fair play. The Uptown businesses are not doing well during these subway constructions. So the Downtown keeps it balanced but not for long.

If there are businesses and there is a major subway construction taking place in that area, the construction will nevertheless affect businesses, regardless of where you are. Take the launch box and the Fulton Street Transit Centre, for example. There's no balance nor fair play. So I have no idea what you are talking about.

Then what? Thats me, that is my opinions, you cannot change it!

What balance?

A block of Broadway nearly got flattened out by the Fulton project. So many businesses had to shutter.

And the shops at Court Square aren't faring too well with the transfer passageway construction.

Look at Downtown Brooklyn. Jay Street construction turned it to a disaster. Businesses suffered GREATLY. There's no balance.

Definitely part of the urban renewal plans for the area... which is why they spent the last few years renovating Houston Street, too... they've have construction projects in that area for years. I can only imagine they're going to price out the people living over on the east side soon enough, too.

So, that means it is fair to everyone. The more projects the more fair, :(!

It's not fair for anyone. Go ask anyone who has a business in those affected areas, tell them that you think it's fair. Go tell them. And shops along Roosevelt Avenue cried foul last year when the 7 got shut down between Main and Woodside.

Yes, I can but I ain't doing here no more...

What? Re-imbursements for lost money? No way if you lost your MetroCard or Cash/Credit/Debit, (except Monthly MetroCard).

No the stores. It's logical that they should get some reimbursement from the MTA if they are losing business due to the construction.

Well, yeah. Actually the (MTA) should give each of them at least 1,000 bucks. But not for now, because of the budget problems.

Be sure to watch Star Trek coming May/08th/2009, ;)!

1000 won't reimburse much, that's like taking a hundred dollars and giving back a penny. If these businesses suffer, a thousand dollars won't cover all of the losses.

Whenever these public works projects get done, someone's going to get shafted. These fellas are just the unlucky ones this time around. I can't wait to see the mayhem once stations are being constructed on second ave...

Whenever these public works projects get done, someone's going to get shafted. These fellas are just the unlucky ones this time around. I can't wait to see the mayhem once stations are being constructed on second ave...

Those guys are already moaning about utility location, imagine what it would be like for them when the station entrances and ancillaries get built.

Archived