Brush fire scorches Staten Island

Trainspotter

More than 250 firefighters from across the city teamed up to battle a wild Staten Island brush fire that nearly consumed an entire beachfront neighborhood Sunday afternoon, the FDNY said.

Firefighters from Brooklyn and Manhattan joined their colleagues on Staten Island, fighting the 2 p.m. six-alarm blaze that ate up portions of Oakwood Beach, said an FDNY spokesman.

Three Kissam Ave. homes were scorched during the four-hour fire. While one of the buildings was vacant, families living in the other two were homeless Sunday night.

No one was seriously hurt, FDNY officials said.

One firefighter did injure his lower back during the Easter Sunday drama, which ruined the holiday for at least 30 families evacuated from their homes.

"That beach is abandoned, the garbage poses a hazard," said Daniel Radinsky, 32, who watched the firemen from his backyard. "It is all dry, and everything goes on fire."

Plumes of smoke distracted drivers along the Belt Parkway in southern Brooklyn as emergency workers raced across the Verrazano Bridge.

An FDNY boat sped toward a burning pier, warning other watercraft to stay away from the smoldering beach.

"The firefighters are doing an excellent job," said resident Marat Kahlfin, 37.

By Sergey Kadinsky and Simone Weichselbaum

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

April 13th 2009

post-5-133288580581_thumb.jpg

Speakin'a serious fires... When i lived in bethpage, i saw a house on fire & the chick i was seeing at the time's brother was a vol. We watched it till it stopped smoking, was right across the way from the train station.

The most serious fire related thing i know of happened out in nevada. My girlfriend at the time recalled the explosion of the SRB solid fuel production facility there. She said it made power lines swing and some windows break, car alarms go off..... and this was many, many miles away.

I never get used to stuff being on fire, it's cool to watch, but at the same time it's not good for the environment or people's lives, and puts the fire crews in danger sometimes.

- A

Are you serious? You saw it in Howell?!:eek:, Wow..

The land is pretty flat in NJ there along the coast. About 18 years ago i went to asbury park with my parents my siblings, and my mom's parents and we got a helicopter ride, we could all most make out manhattan, we could clearly see sandy hook, coney island, rockaway peninsula, and the narrows bridge. Beyond that it got too hazy to see.

You can also see manhattan from the tappan zee bridge.

- A

Well, on a clear day with winds going Southward, then yeah. I saw smoke from the WTC Site on 9/11 in Forest Hills, Queens. Also, on a clear day between Keansburg and Highlands, you can see Staten Island very clearly, :(!

I know folks who lived along the NJCL who saw the WTC smoke. It initially was headed over bayonne/newark/elizabeth then the wind shifted & it started heading out to sea over brooklyn. My woman who was heading home at the time unfortunately breathed in some of the smoke & had some immediate ill effects from it. Thankfully nothing long term like the survivors/first responders ended up getting.

- A

Archived