So the (C) won't run R160's right now...

Homeslice

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once the R32s are all gone, the C would become full length with the R46s. The A would remain R44 with a few sets of R46s. The F will be half R46 (208) and half R160. Once the base order of the R179s come in, it is ancipated that the F gets them first and push the rest of the R46s to the A and retire the R44s.

Hold up, I thought the (A) was supposed to get the R179's? Why would the (F) get them? They're getting R160's for God's sake. They just love to screw with the damn (A) I tell ya. That's so wrong right there. :mad:

Hold up, I thought the (A) was supposed to get the R179's? Why would the (F) get them? They're getting R160's for God's sake. They just love to screw with the damn (A) I tell ya. That's so wrong right there. :mad:
There is no direct replacement since there are still going to be 752 R46s floating around with most transferred to the A/C. Like I said earlier, the F would only be half R160, while the other half is R46. The F's fleet is much bigger than that of the A's and would require over 50 trains. People have stated that the F is going to be mostly R160, they are right to the extent of cars, not trainsets. A 10 car R160 train equals to an 8 car R46 train.

Latest I have heard is that the R179s will run on the E and F, likely bumping the R160s off to the R and V, and the R46s over to the A/C to finish off the R44s.
No and Yes. The E would most likely keep their R160As, while the F will be half R160 and half R179. The R and V would most likely get direct replacements first via the option order of 752 cars and then the C and lastly the A.

Latest I have heard is that the R179s will run on the E and F, likely bumping the R160s off to the R and V, and the R46s over to the A/C to finish off the R44s. Of course, as always, things are not set in stone this early.

OK. what's the rationale for this? The E and F have R160s and R46s (when the R179 goes into service). The A has R44s and R46s. The R44s need replacing. They also need to be replaced on SIRT. Why in the world would the E and F get them first (the lines with the newest R160s? Why does the A get the E and F's hand-me-downs? If I'm an A rider, I'm not happy.

So, what's the rationale?

OK. what's the rationale for this? The E and F have R160s and R46s (when the R179 goes into service). The A has R44s and R46s. The R44s need replacing. They also need to be replaced on SIRT. Why in the world would the E and F get them first (the lines with the newest R160s? Why does the A get the E and F's hand-me-downs? If I'm an A rider, I'm not happy.

The substations at the Rockaways need replacement. When the R46s go, the A would most likely get the last 248 R179s from the option order. It wouldn't make sense to transfer the R68/As over to the A.

Despite whatever problems that people claim the A has over the NTT, tt will make the most logical sense to put the R179s on the A. Where else would they go?

If that's true then why weren't the Redbirds on the (1) line? The point I'm trying to get across is that it doesn't matter where the cars are being reefed. The reason 207 was chosen is the proximity to the Harlem River.

you are right. the R32/40M/42s at Jamaica are going straight to the ocean, not to the (A)(C)

The rationale for the E and F getting the R179s is that the R179s will be the highest capacity trains, and will be among the fastest loading trains in the system, provided they do end up going with 75 foot cars, which is damn near certain.

The E and F, being two of the busiest lines need such equipment more than other lines. One could certainly make the argument that the L needs these cars too, but that is not possible as they cannot run on the L line.

Cars are not assigned based on where the cars they are replacing ran. They are assigned considering the capabilities of the yards to which the cars are going to be assigned, as well as the requirements of the lines. It is also desireable for the amounts of cartypes assigned to any particular yard to be minimized.

"provided they do end up going with 75 foot cars, which is damn near certain."

The above statement is intended to indicate that while the design may not have been finalized, that does not mean that there isn't a design which is in favor at the moment. Some of the earlier ideas were quite interesting.

The rationale for the E and F getting the R179s is that the R179s will be the highest capacity trains, and will be among the fastest loading trains in the system, provided they do end up going with 75 foot cars, which is damn near certain.

The E and F, being two of the busiest lines need such equipment more than other lines. One could certainly make the argument that the L needs these cars too, but that is not possible as they cannot run on the L line.

Cars are not assigned based on where the cars they are replacing ran. They are assigned considering the capabilities of the yards to which the cars are going to be assigned, as well as the requirements of the lines. It is also desireable for the amounts of cartypes assigned to any particular yard to be minimized.

This makes sense. What I'm wondering about is why the (F) would then have so many R46s between now and then and why it has had so many R46s the past 20 years. The (E), yes, ran R32s. Old but excellent in terms of passenger flow. The (MTA) contradicts itself when they don't run R46s on the (E) in mass yet put them on the (F) in mass since both have issues with crowding.

Presently 75 feet cars loading and unloading (station dwell time) is not optimized and not as good as 60 footers. This can not be improved unless the R179 is a 5 door per side car, which the current ones are not. And, I want to know how the studies are being done. To me, the R160s do not maximize passenger flows due to their doors not being offset and placing the poles right near the doors. As we discussed in the R160 thread, those ceiling placed oval rails are underutilized. I can't prove it, but I think the R160 is not quite as good as the R32 in station dwell time. It's probably better than the R40M/R42 that have poorly placed poles right by their offset doors.

The (A) still strikes me as a line that crowds, and can use R160s or R179s. Why not make the order large enough to cover the (A) as some of the R46s that are getting creaky and problematic may need replacing when it debuts. From a rider's standpoint, (A) passengers pay the same as (Q), (E), (J), or A division riders that will or now have plenty of the more modern equipment servicing their lines. It really isn't that cool from that standpoint to single out the (A) line as the one that doesn't get any of the NTTs. If the (A) was going to be considered for the R160, then Pitkin can be outfitted to run R179s. After R32, R40 variants and R42s are retired, Pitkin would have R46 and R179. Two types. Jamaica will have R46, R160 and R179. Three types. At this time there would only be R46, R68, R143, R160 and R179s on all B division lines. So, that's my argument for putting the R179 on the (A), but I'll concede doing it after they've filled the (E) and (F) and most likely SIRT.

IMO the (C) 's are probably going to be the last to get any new cars. At least from the sound of it.

The (C) tends to run the oldest cars in the system. I can not remember when the (C) ran any of the newer generation cars. If R46s run on the (C) when the R32s are retired, that's a big upgrade for the (C). And then the (C) will probably get the R68s when all the R46s are retired and the R68s are over 30 years in service.

The (C) tends to run the oldest cars in the system. I can not remember when the (C) ran any of the newer generation cars. If R46s run on the (C) when the R32s are retired, that's a big upgrade for the (C). And then the (C) will probably get the R68s when all the R46s are retired and the R68s are over 30 years in service.

The R110B ran on it for a while, I remembered that one. But it got yanked out of service just a few months afterwards. Besides it was meant to be an experimental unit, not really a production unit.

Archived