So the (C) won't run R160's right now...

Homeslice

The 2008-2013 MTA Capital Plan.

You realize that plan hasn't actually gone through yet right? The (MTA) needs $30 billion to fully fund that capital plan.

No and Yes. The E would most likely keep their R160As, while the F will be half R160 and half R179. The R and V would most likely get direct replacements first via the option order of 752 cars and then the C and lastly the A.

I just read the capital plan, and there's no mention of any option ordere of 752 cars. It just says that there are 208 cars to be bought, and an additional 64 for the SIR.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You realize that plan hasn't actually gone through yet right? The (MTA) needs $30 billion to fully fund that capital plan.

I just read the capital plan, and there's no mention of any option ordere of 752 cars. It just says that there are 208 cars to be bought, and an additional 64 for the SIR.

It's in some other document, but it's not a definite plan.

I understand fully. The 752 car option is just a speculation b/c there are 752 R46s in service.

The (C) tends to run the oldest cars in the system. I can not remember when the (C) ran any of the newer generation cars. If R46s run on the (C) when the R32s are retired, that's a big upgrade for the (C). And then the (C) will probably get the R68s when all the R46s are retired and the R68s are over 30 years in service.
There's a minimal chance that the R68s are going to Pitkin since the G would most likely get all 200 R68As and the B and D would share the R68s at 208 each.

IMO the (C) 's are probably going to be the last to get any new cars. At least from the sound of it.
I think that would be the A since the Rockaway substations still need to be replaced. The C is actually clear to run R160s, so I guess it'll be all R179s in the future.

IMO the (C) 's are probably going to be the last to get any new cars. At least from the sound of it.

Same for the (V) and (G)..

Why would the (C) get any R160 isnt it getting R46 of Jamaica? Same for (A)

Same for the (V) and (G)..

Why would the (C) get any R160 isnt it getting R46 of Jamaica? Same for (A)

No. The V should get its load around the same time as the R. The G would most likely get the 200 R68As after its transfer to CI.

No. The V should get its load around the same time as the R. The G would most likely get the 200 R68As after its transfer to CI.

the (G) does not need all 200 R68As in service. IMO, it is going to take any remaining R68/68As on the (Q) once it becomes fully R160s. there should be enough of those cars to fill the (G). there is not enough R68s to run on (:P(D)(Q) at once.

I'm still trying to understand the issue of the R44s. They run fine in my opinion. They're quiet, I rarely hear their brakes screeching like the R32s and 42s. Considering how long they've been around their exteriors could look a lot worst (they could look like some of those R42s I've seen). What's the issue here?

The brakes screeching on the 32's and 42's is due to dead motors IIRC...they don't have dynamics, only friction. I believe a yellow light lit on the side of the car means the motors are dead on it.

I just don't wanna sound like I'm ignorant to something. So if there's someone here who can honestly tell me what's wrong with the 44s that makes them need replacing urgently then I'm good to go. But to me they're one of the quietest trains to ride on and they pick up some pretty good speed not to mention good braking IMO.

I just don't wanna sound like I'm ignorant to something. So if there's someone here who can honestly tell me what's wrong with the 44s that makes them need replacing urgently then I'm good to go. But to me they're one of the quietest trains to ride on and they pick up some pretty good speed not to mention good braking IMO.

IMO, besides the "farts" they make, nothing quite wrong with them.

I think the R44 is better, it has the same propulsion/breaks more like the 32/42/62/62A/68/68A. Thats why i like em~

Anyways... I thought the (G) would get 160s as well ? Or is it now 68s? And is there really emough 68s for the (G). Seeing that there is limited on the (Q). All on the (D)(-_- . And most likely none on the (W)

I just wish I have better luck with the R32s b/c every time I ride them, something bad happens. I personally feel that the R32s look very old despite shiny and doesn't fit with the other cars, but hey some people just have good experiences with them. When I had the R38s they never failed me and who cares about the "dim lighting," the R42s have much dimmer lightings. My new favorite bench seater after the R38 is the R160A due to their overall quietness and smooth transitions.

IMO, besides the "farts" they make, nothing quite wrong with them.

those "farts" are the most distinct thing i remember about the (A) train during my time away from the city. I could never quite describe the sound but i could imitate it and it uniquely defined the line for me lol. I didn't know the SIR got the older ones it used to use until someone took a picture of the SIR for me. But yeah I don't think they're slow or faulty. I haven't been on one that broke down on me yet or heard of them breaking down very often. I think they could last for at least 5-10 more years before seeing some sorta serious problems.

R44s are fat, slow, ugly, and have too many mechanical and technical problems. that is why i hate them so much.

They're not fat, you can't tell them to go on a diet. Besides if you call R44s fat, then the R46s are just as "fat".

In all of my numerous R44 rides, I have yet to experience one major mechanical or technical problem. I do not see why you have to hate them.

those "farts" are the most distinct thing i remember about the (A) train during my time away from the city.

Ken, remember we made a "fart" joke on the train that day?

R62 has GE propulsion.
So does the R32s and R42s, but their sounds are given off by Westinghouse Motors. He also forgot that the R38s had GE propulsion with Westinghouse Motors. However, all three types don't emit that classic whirling sound on the R44, R62A, and R68/A since they all have GE Propulsion, not Westinghouse.

Also because of the exterior cosmetic appearance, not looking too good IMO.
That's why they are due for a mini SMS...I hope.

So does the R32s and R42s, but their sounds are given off by Westinghouse Motors. He also forgot that the R38s had GE propulsion with Westinghouse Motors. However, all three types don't emit that classic whirling sound on the R44, R62A, and R68/A since they all have GE Propulsion, not Westinghouse.

The ends need a paint job

yeah thanks for clearing, i forgot the 28, and the 62 is more like a 40/46

BTW is GE = General Electric, just asking =\

@MTR Admiralty isnt the R62A undergoing SMS?, im seeing certain cars on the (1) repainted silver..

Archived