So the (C) won't run R160's right now...

Homeslice

They're not fat, you can't tell them to go on a diet. Besides if you call R44s fat, then the R46s are just as "fat".

In all of my numerous R44 rides, I have yet to experience one major mechanical or technical problem. I do not see why you have to hate them.

R46s and R68/68As are also fat. in fact, i call the R46s "fatsos" and R68/68As "chubby chicks" even though i like the 68s because of their shiny interior and exterior and they are one of the best cars in terms of performance and reliability. i suffer too much with R44s.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it is its strange, seeing that the R62 on the (3) isnt getting it..

Well, some R46s at Jamaica haven't received SMS. So if what you said is true, I'm not surprised either.

R46s and R68/68As are also fat. in fact, i call the R46s "fatsos" and R68/68As "chubby chicks" even though i like the 68s because of their shiny interior and exterior and they are one of the best cars in terms of performance and reliability. i suffer too much with R44s.

Subway cars are not fat or skinny. You can't tell them to "lose it". The width of these cars contribute to the area they could contain.

Isn't the width of the same, but only the weight and length of the car different in models in the division right?

Chubby Chicks and Fatsos, that sounds more so incrediblily childish, there are no words to describe it.

Isn't the width of the same, but only the weight and length of the car different in models in the division right?

Chubby Chicks and Fatsos, that sounds more so incrediblily childish, there are no words to describe it.

IAWTP. I don't get why some people are so adamantly anti-<car class>.

Would someone please tell him to go down with the R32s at the end. I hate hearing so much applause for cars that drove 17 nights of my life miserably and put-downs for cars that served me well. Also, it's time to get back on topic and the C would definitely not get the R160As.

Would someone please tell him to go down with the R32s at the end. I hate hearing so much applause for cars that drove 17 nights of my life miserably and put-downs for cars that served me well. Also, it's time to get back on topic and the C would definitely not get the R160As.

I don't think it would. They would most likely receive R46s after the R32's retirement. Again, we have to wait and see.

Actually, as far as I remember, the C is not capable of running R160s for the same reason the A is not. Neither 207 nor Pitkin is fully equipped to deal with NTTs. 207 would obviously be less of an issue as the adjacent overhaul shop can do damn near anything.

Can you elaborate further on the "fully equipped" part?

207th consists of two entities. The carbarn which houses portions of the A and C fleets, and the overhaul shop, which is where heavy overhaul occurs, and generally where the entire A division gets SMS work done. 207 and CI split overhaul duties in ways which constantly change--- CI prettymuch always deals with its own equipment, as well as that of Concourse and Corona. 207 deals with its own equipment, as well as the rest of the A division and Pitkin. ENY and Jamaica cars seem less concentrated on one overhaul shop, although Jamaica cars tend to end up at CIYD for overhaul, while ENY cars seem to go to whichever shop has room. I have seen ENY R42 SMS being carried out at both shops at different times in the past.

207th Overhaul shop can obviously deal with the R142s. I don't believe the inspection barn can deal with them.

• 3 weeks later...
I think when the R179 subway cars are introduced, the (C) will finally get new cars. However, I think the (C) will be the last line to get NTT cars. The same as the (1).

I believe so too, that the (C) will probably be the last to receive NTTs. But regarding the R179s, it's kind of too early IMO, to discuss the future of those cars. After all, they're not even ordered yet.

Show me proof that the 179's will be 75 feet. Oh wait, there isn't any. In addition, the 179 order hasn't even been finalized.

Funny, since you didn't care to look first:

The 2008-2013 Capital Program

New York City Transit proposes to invest $1.467 billion in new rail cars in the proposed 2008-

2013 Capital Program. This allows for the replacement of 500 railcars and the addition of 90

cars needed to accommodate population and service growth. This results in a total of 590

railcars to be purchased. All purchases will be of B division cars. An additional 64 division B

cars will be purchased under Staten Island Railway.

The purchase of 590 railcars described above will be executed under two separate contracts.

382 railcars will be bought under an option of the existing R160 contract, bringing the total

number of R160 cars in the fleet to 1,662. The remaining 208 cars will be the first of the R179

series. These longer (75- foot) cars will replace the R44 fleet, which was purchased in the early

1970s.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/budget/pdf/2008-2013%20Capital%20Plan.pdf

Page 28(actual document)/38 (pdf side-tab)

I believe so too, that the (C) will probably be the last to receive NTTs. But regarding the R179s, it's kind of too early IMO, to discuss the future of those cars. After all, they're not even ordered yet.

In Paper the (F) (Jamaica) will be getting the R179's but That is subject to change due to the fact that Jamaica is getting More R160's, I want those cars on the (A), I rather the (F) keep half of its R46's than loose all of them, If the (F) looses all of its remaing R46's the (F) will never be the same. Also, The (C) should get R160's, I rater the (C) to get them than any line, Because the simple fact that the (C) has always had old equipment, I like the R32's on the (C) but when They retire, I rather the TA give the (C) the R160's than any other line, Reason, The (C) riders don't complain like (E) riders, They don't care what train they get on, It would be a nice surprize if the (C) gets R160's, I was happy that the (J)/(M)/(Z) got the R160's as well, the people never complained about the R42's when the (J),(M) and (Z) ran them, alot of people say oh the (C) should not get R160's because of the negihborhoods and all of that, I think that's B.S., The (E) has the same type of people to as well as the (J),(M) and (Z) so whoever says that oh the (C) should not get them because the (C) serves the ghetto and all of that, needs to get a grip, Also Pitkin can Handle the R160's, 207th can handle them too but there is no enough room to store the 5 car set R160's in the yard.

If R179s are designed for maximized passenger flow then the (E) and (F) will get them as the Express lines in Queens that carry a huge ridership. These are the major lines in Queens. Brooklyn has many lines as does the Bronx. The (J)(Z) has far lower ridership.

As far as passengers complaining, they all complain about something or the other. If it isn't equipment it is headways, condition of stations, lack of bathrooms, something. (E) and (F) riders are a lot of the same riders and depending on where they are going, they'll get one or the other line. So, (E) riders complaints had to do with the (F) running mostly R46s, a perceived much more modern and nicer train than the R32s on the (E) for so many years. Years previous, (E) and (F) ran R46s, or ran similar type of equipment and the local lines ran the older equipment. That's the basis for complaints on the (E), not that the (E) riders complain any more than other Queens express riders. They overlap most of the time and those that had to take the (E) would rather get an R46 than a R32. Now, the (E) and (F) both have R42/R40Ms and R160s, so things seem more equitable. The handful of R32s on both lines aren't significant enough to matter anymore. The (E) and (F) should be similar in perceived quality and equipment, for years the (E) felt like the poor stepson to the (F) due to its older equipment. What some of the R32 fans need to understand and accept here is that most subway riders view R32s as ancient, not cool or desirable to ride in. Old, noisy, bumpy. Doesn't mean they weren't great trains at one time, but that's how many riders feel in comparison to the R44 and newer. At some time in the possible near future, they'll be saying the same thing about the R44/R46 (at least old and bumpy, if not necessarily noisy).

I'd like to see the R179 go to the (A). It's replacing the R44, 75 footer replacing 75 footer. Don't like that the (A) is getting Jamaica's hand-me-down R46s. The (A) is a major line and should run R179s. If the (E) and (F) are best served with R179s, hopefully they'll be enough R179s to include the (A). As far as the (C), I just don't see it as a priority line over so many others and think the (D) and other Concourse lines will get the next series of trains after the R179s. Occasionally, the (C) may see something fairly new that runs on the (A) during GOs.

If R179s are designed for maximized passenger flow then the (E) and (F) will get them as the Express lines in Queens that carry a huge ridership. These are the major lines in Queens. Brooklyn has many lines as does the Bronx. The (J)(Z) has far lower ridership.

As far as passengers complaining, they all complain about something or the other. If it isn't equipment it is headways, condition of stations, lack of bathrooms, something. (E) and (F) riders are a lot of the same riders and depending on where they are going, they'll get one or the other line. So, (E) riders complaints had to do with the (F) running mostly R46s, a perceived much more modern and nicer train than the R32s on the (E) for so many years. Years previous, (E) and (F) ran R46s, or ran similar type of equipment and the local lines ran the older equipment. That's the basis for complaints on the (E), not that the (E) riders complain any more than other Queens express riders. They overlap most of the time and those that had to take the (E) would rather get an R46 than a R32. Now, the (E) and (F) both have R42/R40Ms and R160s, so things seem more equitable. The handful of R32s on both lines aren't significant enough to matter anymore. The (E) and (F) should be similar in perceived quality and equipment, for years the (E) felt like the poor stepson to the (F) due to its older equipment. What some of the R32 fans need to understand and accept here is that most subway riders view R32s as ancient, not cool or desirable to ride in. Old, noisy, bumpy. Doesn't mean they weren't great trains at one time, but that's how many riders feel in comparison to the R44 and newer. At some time in the possible near future, they'll be saying the same thing about the R44/R46 (at least old and bumpy, if not necessarily noisy).

I'd like to see the R179 go to the (A). It's replacing the R44, 75 footer replacing 75 footer. Don't like that the (A) is getting Jamaica's hand-me-down R46s. The (A) is a major line and should run R179s. If the (E) and (F) are best served with R179s, hopefully they'll be enough R179s to include the (A). As far as the (C), I just don't see it as a priority line over so many others and think the (D) and other Concourse lines will get the next series of trains after the R179s. Occasionally, the (C) may see something fairly new that runs on the (A) during GOs.

The Main Reason Why thge (E) got R32's in the 1990's was because the ridership on the (E), and plus the R46's did not have the right amont of doors like the 60 foot R32's had, and Plus the R32's were the most reliable, as for now It did make since putting R160's on the (E), I am not a big fanof the R160's due to the fact that the front is very hard to read and plus the seats are unconfortable, The R32's are not bad cars, I hate what Jamaica did to the R32's but that's over now, I don't complain what train I want as long as I get to my destination Im good, The R179 is planed to go on the (F) only, The (E) will be 100% R160A/B but the R179's might go to the (A) as well as the (C) due to the fact that Jamaica is getting More R160's.

I think when the R179 subway cars are introduced, the (C) will finally get new cars. However, I think the (C) will be the last line to get NTT cars. The same as the (1).

The 1 isn't using the oldest cars actually. They might be from the 80s, but they look a lot newer than the R142s.

Funny, since you didn't care to look first:

The 2008-2013 Capital Program

New York City Transit proposes to invest $1.467 billion in new rail cars in the proposed 2008-

2013 Capital Program. This allows for the replacement of 500 railcars and the addition of 90

cars needed to accommodate population and service growth. This results in a total of 590

railcars to be purchased. All purchases will be of B division cars. An additional 64 division B

cars will be purchased under Staten Island Railway.

The purchase of 590 railcars described above will be executed under two separate contracts.

382 railcars will be bought under an option of the existing R160 contract, bringing the total

number of R160 cars in the fleet to 1,662. The remaining 208 cars will be the first of the R179

series. These longer (75- foot) cars will replace the R44 fleet, which was purchased in the early

1970s.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/budget/pdf/2008-2013%20Capital%20Plan.pdf

Page 28(actual document)/38 (pdf side-tab)

Interestingly enough, it said PROPOSED. Which does not mean it's a definite yes, though.

Archived