So the (C) won't run R160's right now...

Homeslice

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I know that there is not enough R160's to replace all of the smee's, After Every R160 is on TA Property, There will be 200 R32's left, ether you keep them to 2014-15 or you replace them with Op III R160's, Op III is an Extra like the R142S, The R142S was not on the list, They basicly replaced the Remaining Redbirds, R33WF's, I hate writing this but this is Facts not Fomer or Railfan talk, I know my stuff, Sometimes Im wrong but most of the Time Im Right, Op III might not be on the contract but The MTA can do something slick, I hate R160's but hey After 2010, Then They can yank the R32's, and most of them will do work service, But If they stay for another 2-4 years then I will be blessed.

Show me all of your calculations

okay Op II total's 382 cars

144 R40 equipment remains on TA property as of today Both R40S/R40A (r40M)

(Mod) more than 54 R40S are currenly at pitkin and the 74-77 R40M'S are at Jamaica (77th Car is 4460) Currentley Being Replaced

After all of the 120 R160's are in service you will have 24 R40A equipment remaining

542 SMEE Equipment remaining

238 R42MK's Left on TA Property as of today

183 at Jamaica, 50 at ENY (The 183rd Car is 4665)

280 R32 Phase I's are on TA Property today

342 R160's would only replace

the Remaining R40a's,R42MK and the R32 Phase I's at Jamaica,

542-342 = 200 SMEE equipment remaining

200 R32 Phase I's would remain for 2 reason, 1st reason The 207th st yard only houses R32 Phase I's and they currently have 200 R32 Phase I's

Option Order III would have replaced the R32's, 232 R160's would have replaced the Phase I's, But from what I heard Option Order III is off the table.

So The R32's would be the only remaing SMEE Equipment left, I don't think 207th st want R42's so the R42's are out of the question.

You might have 110 R160's to be deliverd left as of now, I wrote this last week and E-mailed to kris, and Op III I think is back on the table, Im pissed but not to pissed since the r32's would go around 2010. That's a record breaker

3838, are you sure that you didn't add extra numbers? Even the Capital Plan sheet says that Option II would finish off the remaining 60 Ft SMEEs. I always thought that Option III (if it even exists) would be used on the eventual SAS as sources say that the T might use R160s.

I am sure, That's why they want to do option Order III, The Capital plan does not mean anything, They slate what they want to do but yet they can't do it, The Capital plain is just Planned, Anyway the MTA needs money to fix up the subway not buy 200 more new tech trains, Look what Happend on the (F) with the 18th ave station, That's going to cost the MTA money, The R32's can last another 2-5 years, I also thougt that the even the R38's can last another 2 years, The R38's just had a little roof problem, They were not rustinig, The R42's can also last another year, Their bodies are not that bad ether but they are very unreliable, I study the system and I have been studying the NYC subway since I was 4, Half the railfans don't do tha, All they do is Foam, I like R32's but I study about those Cars including the subway more than anything.

okay Op II total's 382 cars

144 R40 equipment remains on TA property as of today Both R40S/R40A (r40M)

(Mod) more than 54 R40S are currenly at pitkin and the 74-77 R40M'S are at Jamaica (77th Car is 4460) Currentley Being Replaced

After all of the 120 R160's are in service you will have 24 R40A equipment remaining

542 SMEE Equipment remaining

238 R42MK's Left on TA Property as of today

183 at Jamaica, 50 at ENY (The 183rd Car is 4665)

280 R32 Phase I's are on TA Property today

342 R160's would only replace

the Remaining R40a's,R42MK and the R32 Phase I's at Jamaica,

542-342 = 200 SMEE equipment remaining

200 R32 Phase I's would remain for 2 reason, 1st reason The 207th st yard only houses R32 Phase I's and they currently have 200 R32 Phase I's

Option Order III would have replaced the R32's, 232 R160's would have replaced the Phase I's, But from what I heard Option Order III is off the table.

So The R32's would be the only remaing SMEE Equipment left, I don't think 207th st want R42's so the R42's are out of the question.

Okay, after R160 2nd Option Order is done, there will be 1662 cars, am I correct?

Now, here's my table:

-600 R32s were built

-200 R38s were built

-200 R40s were built

-200 R40As were built

-400 R42s were built

This is a rough estimate, as some of these cars were scrapped prior to the retirement process. However, if you add all of the numbers up, you get 1600 cars. Not only is the order sufficient to replace those cars, but there is room for extra trains, based on the information I have. Therefore I do not think that other fleets are retiring. Hence, there would be no need for a third optional order.

Good to see another member has common sense. That's why retiring the R30's led to a car shortage that still plagues the B Division after 16 years. I'll be happy the day the (C) runs a full consist again.

While it would be great to have spare cars incase something went wrong (R46 trucks), does (NYCT) have the yard space to keep around a few trains that may never see service again? If there is the space, then duh, keeps spare trains around.

While it would be great to have spare cars incase something went wrong (R46 trucks), does (NYCT) have the yard space to keep around a few trains that may never see service again? If there is the space, then duh, keeps spare trains around.

Honestly I see a lot of unused track that could make for potential 'yards' if you will. I mean if they wanted to go that route anyhow. My biggest example is over there by liberty ave just before the Manhattan bound (A) turns onto it. Even as a kid I use to go by that and think that it would make for a small yard in which to just keep extra trains. But drawing away from making extra yards, if we're in the process of retiring stuff naturally there would be at least some room right? This is assuming every set that's dumped isnt immediately replaced with something new...in that case they would have the yard space to keep some extras lying around.

There are plenty of spaces. For example...

ENY- Now that the 42's are leaving, im seeing less space there. i would say there's room for like a whole 5 8-car sets (if they would ever move them there)

maybe at Concourse too, but i wasn't there in a while. plus, all of the unused tracks, that aren't used anymore.

Honestly I see a lot of unused track that could make for potential 'yards' if you will. I mean if they wanted to go that route anyhow. My biggest example is over there by liberty ave just before the Manhattan bound (A) turns onto it. Even as a kid I use to go by that and think that it would make for a small yard in which to just keep extra trains. But drawing away from making extra yards, if we're in the process of retiring stuff naturally there would be at least some room right? This is assuming every set that's dumped isnt immediately replaced with something new...in that case they would have the yard space to keep some extras lying around.

That would be a great idea, but you must understand that that leaves the trains vulnerable for vandals to have "fun" out there. And then we'll have a series of trains being sent straight to the car washup services costing more money.

That would be a great idea, but you must understand that that leaves the trains vulnerable for vandals to have "fun" out there. And then we'll have a series of trains being sent straight to the car washup services costing more money.

Isn't that why so many trains were messed up during the 60s-70s?

yeah lack of security. I just kinda assumed they would fence it up or something if that were to happen. Oh well I just was able to picture it and it looked nice in my mind.

It will not, I don't know why people saying that such an order will even exist, if it was meant for possible service increases. Save the third order for later, at least when the Second Avenue Subway is done.
The SAS will finish after the R179 and R188 orders will be done...that's like buying more R142s now.

Archived