Doomesday II cuts coming to MTA in 2010?

Shortline Bus

Folks more bad news for NYC metro area transit riders. Even if Albany 'bails out' the MTA to save most if not all the planned cuts for this year (2009) the ecomony crisis is hurting the transit agency more than planned. The defecit according to a MTA exce may now hit $3-4 Billion dollars. Here the news from the AP and WABC-TV Ch. 7 in NYC.

Doomesday II Cuts coming for 2010?

ALBANY April 14--(AP and WABC-TV reports ) An official for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority says additional service cuts or fare increases might be needed because of a sharp decline in state tax revenues.

The chief financial officer of the authority, Gary Dellaverson, cited the new projection Monday. He refused to give details of what is being considered, but says to balance the budget, the MTA could make deeper cuts or increase fares a second time as early as the end of the year or in 2010. The base NYC subway/bus fare in a so called second doomesday budget cold reach as high as $3.00

A state bailout of the authority that is backed by Gov. David Paterson is bogged down in the Legislature.

The MTA released the following statement on the possibility of more cuts and hikes:

"The MTA has been informed that proceeds from state-collected taxes dedicated to the MTA will be approximately $200 million below budget projections in 2009. Plus added expenisves from fuel could make the existing budget defecit reach as high as $4-5 Billion.

This news, combined with continuing declines in real estate taxes, makes it clear that the MTA will have to take additional actions in 2009 to keep its budget in balance, absent action from Albany.

We expect to re-forecast annual projections for a number of revenue sources, including fare and toll revenues and real estate taxes, at the April 27 MTA Board Finance Committee meeting. Specific additional actions needed to balance the budget, above and beyond the fare increases and service cuts already approved, will follow this re-forecast.

In the next set of possible 'doomesday cuts' possible 'worst case' options for 2010 according to unnamed sources, include layoffs of thousands of more MTA workers, ending overnight service on almost all NYC Bus Routes. In addition weekend service on all non-Staten Island express bus routes could end, and overnight subway service would operate every 60 minutes with the closing stations on weekends/overnight periods.

Also on the table for possible cuts in 2010, is the end of weekend (C) and (5) subway service and the suspension of constructing both the Second Ave subway and LIRR service to Grand Central.

Metro North and LIRR would not be spared either with the possible end of all weekend express service and train service on both lines ending at 11pm daily in a possible "doomesday 2 cuts."

MTA officals stress that this is a worst case scenrio for next year if the ecomony does not improve or a bailout from Albany does not occur.

(Copyright ©2009 by The Associated Press and WABC-TV news wires stories. All Rights Reserved.)

Any reactions?

I am angry and disgusted at how partisan politics will end up intruding into all of our lives. The (MTA) is a supposed 'public benefit agency of the State of New York'.

As the economic crisis deepens, it is getting more ironic to its name.

Our only hope from Albany is a small crack of light.

Wow, this is horrendous. People will flock out of NYC, Long Island, etc. by the MILLIONS if this happens. And Albany doesn't seem to want to bail us out. They don't care.

The first is bad, but the second is WORSE! And what's in it for LIB? They probably will shut it down altogether (which wouldn't surprise me).

With no trains and buses in NYC during the late nights, NYC will become the city that sleeps. Not good at all.

I think it's time we organized a riot or something. I'm not kidding.

The (C) and (5) are cut on weekends? Oh man the (A)'s won't have an express section at all on Weekends, I hope the (5) doesn't get cut entirely, if the (5) doesn't run, how will people travel along Esplande between Eastchester Dyre-Avenue and East 180th Street? The (2)(4)(6) will pick up more load from the (5)

The MTA honchos should be deprived of their right to run the system. This madness is too much.

Oh yeah, it's going on big time now. I don't agree with the service reductions at all.

First it was:

1.Axing the (W) and (Z), with the (N)(Q) replacing (W), and (J)(M) replacing the (Z)

2. Shortening the (G), (uptown terminal at Court Square all times) (M) (last stop is Broad Street, downtown) and (N) (not serving stops between Canal Street and DeKalb Avenue)

Now we're talking about the

1. No weekend (C), meaning that all (A) service is local.

2. If I understood this correctly, the (5) won't be running at all. Most riders would be forced to switch between the (2) and (4) at 149 St. Concourse. Wow this is not fun at all. How will riders between Dyre Avenue ans East 180th Street travel, via shuttle bus?

Madness is right, and I won't be surprised at the backlash from subway riders, especially those who used the affected lines.

Oh yeah, it's going on big time now. I don't agree with the service reductions at all.

First it was:

1.Axing the (W) and (Z), with the (N)(Q) replacing (W), and (J)(M) replacing the (Z)

2. Shortening the (G), (uptown terminal at Court Square all times) (M) (last stop is Broad Street, downtown) and (N) (not serving stops between Canal Street and DeKalb Avenue)

Now we're talking about the

1. No weekend (C), meaning that all (A) service is local.

2. If I understood this correctly, the (5) won't be running at all. Most riders would be forced to switch between the (2) and (4) at 149 St. Concourse. Wow this is not fun at all. How will riders between Dyre Avenue ans East 180th Street travel, via shuttle bus?

Madness is right, and I won't be surprised at the backlash from subway riders, especially those who used the affected lines.

I just reprinted the ap article i did not create it. I assume the (5) weekend shuttle remains between Dyre and East 180th St if full (5)weekend service is cut.

And article said the doomesday 2 cuts are subject to change if we get to that point just from 'unconfirmed sources in MTA managmenet.' However I admit it getting scary though. Any changes due to doomesday 2 plan dont blame me guys this is just a worst case scenrio states the article in planning stage without any 'bailout' from Albany or Washington..

I just reprinted the ap article i did not create it. I assume the (5)shuttle between Dyre and East 180th St if full (5)weekend service is cut.

And article said the doomesday 2 cuts are subject to change if we get to that point just from 'unconfirmed sources in MTA managmenet.' However I admit it getting scary though.

Those greedy b******s are trying to take more money from the citizenry.

Those greedy b******s are trying to take more money from the citizenry.

Young man this is not new that the rich has been screwing the working class and poor. Look at your history books. It been ongoing for thousands of years.

For while i was confident that a semi bailout from albany would occur for doomesday 1 and only a modest fare hike ie subway/bus fares to $2.25 and small cuts occur. Now i feel it's only 50/50 at best.:(

Young man this is not new that the rich has been screwing the working class and poor. Look at your history books. It been ongoing for thousands of years.

For while i was confident that a semi bailout from albany would occur for doomesday 1 and only a modest fare hike ie subway/bus fares to $2.25 and small cuts occur. Now i feel it's only 50/50 at best.:(

It's been going on since human civilisation first appeared.

By the way, do you think the Pay Per Ride bonus is needed?

Archived