Doomesday II cuts coming to MTA in 2010?

Shortline Bus

Yeah prettry much. If anybody here had common sense, they'll figure it out right away.

MTR, the first couple words in your last post was unnecessary. Also, you don't seem to grasp on the big picture. You are even suggesting to make the subway system private. Doing so would create more problems and could hurt the system even further. Brush up on your transit history and come back to me in a year.

But we are still facing problems when we're consolidated. And you might want to cool off with that attitude.

By the way, I have mentioned this before... should the MTA get rid of the Pay Per Ride bonus?

What attitude? I'm just stating what is out in the open.

The transit system has been facing serious problems since day one. It has nothing to with consolidation and the creation of the MTA. Getting rid of the Pay-Per-Ride bonus woun't help at all. The TA loses 26 cents from every ride. Twenty-six cents is nothing. If the discounts were at of a wider margin, then it would be feasible to eliminate it. Don't even think of suggesting to get rid of the Unlimited ride Metrocards. Unlimited ride Metrocards help people save money on commuting costs. I speak for the majority of college students within the CUNY system. I even recommended my mom to buy an Unlimited Metrocard.

You seem to have zero understanding of the MTA.

Okay, if YOU think that you have understanding of the MTA, how about you tell us what should be done, instead of attacking specific people here.

You know what I think? I think the entire subway system should be given to the BMT Cooperation. Why? I remember reading that in the BMT's last years, during the Great depression, they still made a profit, while the IRT was almost bankrupt. The BMT also was the nation's leader in new technology, which was canned after the unification. Did any of you ever hear of the BMT Muliti, Blue Bird, Zeyphr, and Green Hornet? They all had industry leading technology far beyond those R1-R9's. For example, the BMT Zyphr had one control for braking and accelerating, the Green Hornet had warning tone before doors closed, and the Blue Bird was 80 feet long, comfortable, and light enough to run on the oldest of elevated lines.

If the BMT made a profit in the great depression, and the (MTA) has a budget deficit in the billions, in a recession, not even as big as the Great depression, doesn't that tell you something? It tells me that the BMT knows how to operate a subway well, and that the BMT should be brought back.

You know what I think? I think the entire subway system should be given to the BMT Cooperation. Why? I remember reading that in the BMT's last years, during the Great depression, they still made a profit, while the IRT was almost bankrupt. The BMT also was the nation's leader in new technology, which was canned after the unification. Did any of you ever hear of the BMT Muliti, Blue Bird, Zeyphr, and Green Hornet? They all had industry leading technology far beyond those R1-R9's. For example, the BMT Zyphr had one control for braking and accelerating, the Green Hornet had warning tone before doors closed, and the Blue Bird was 80 feet long, comfortable, and light enough to run on the oldest of elevated lines.

If the BMT made a profit in the great depression, and the (MTA) has a budget deficit in the billions, in a recession, not even as big as the Great depression, doesn't that tell you something? It tells me that the BMT knows how to operate a subway well, and that the BMT should be brought back.

While, the BMT enjoyed profit and modern cars of then, the guys who ran the BMT are probably all long dead.

Personally a solution would be for the MTA to be split off as MTR. However since public transit almost always loses $$$$(ie Amtrak which is supposed to be 'private') i think NYC should regain control of the City's subways and buses and MTA Buses. Just like in Chicago where the Mayor's appoints the boss aka President.

The only agreement with MTR about 'private'

The MTA should only operate imo Metro North and LIRR with the Gov. appointing the head of that railroad duo. Finally Bridges and Tunnels would become part of the state DOT. Not the best system but at least it creates 'direct accountablity.'

FYI. MTR if you plan to attend college here in US, you do need to type 'US English. College Professors will lower your grade if you write the "British English. That not a 'dis' but reality so stop being so senative.

Personally a solution would be for the MTA to be split off as MTR. However since public transit almost always loses $$$$(ie Amtrak which is supposed to be 'private') i think NYC should regain control of the City's subways and buses and MTA Buses. Just like in Chicago where the Mayor's appoints the boss aka President.

The only agreement with MTR about 'private'

The MTA already is a public entity. It is a public benefit corporation charted by the State of New York.

The MTA already is a public entity. It is a public benefit corporation charted by the State of New York.

Yes i am aware. However once the Gov in current set up picks a MTA boss, it's an appointment for life in worst case scenrio. Public has no say in picking the head which i believe is a huge problem.

The MTA board needs to be elected. It would be a 10 member board, NYC would get 5 members (one for each borough), Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland would choose the other members. The remaining member would be elected by everyone in the MTA region.

The board members would appoint leaders for their region.

The 5 members representing NYC would appoint the heads of NYC Transit and MTA Bus. Nassau and Suffolk would choose the leaders of the LIRR and LI Bus.

Westchester and Rockland would choose the leaders of Metro-North.

The way it is now most of the power is chosen by Albany and this needs to change.

The MTA board needs to be elected. It would be a 10 member board, NYC would get 5 members (one for each borough), Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland would choose the other members. The remaining member would be elected by everyone in the MTA region.

The 5 members representing NYC would appoint the heads of NYC Transit and MTA Bus. Nassau and Suffolk would choose the leaders of the LIRR and LI Bus.

The way it is now most of the power is chosen by Albany and this needs to change.

What about Ducthess, Orange, and Putnam Counties in Upstate NY and Fairfield in CT? Also who picks the 'head' of NYC subways under your master plan?

IMO the only people who benefit are the politicians of both parties in the downstate region who point fingers but aren't held responsible for the actions of this state created entity. They have all cut back, or eliminated , funding for this agency (MTA). Now that the walls are tumbling down all around them each one is trying to preserve his/her own parochial interests while the problems with the funding are regional in nature. I do not pretend to know how to solve the financial problems of the (MTA) but I do know that having all your eggs in one basket ,( Wall St ), is a surefire recipe for failure. A regional payroll assessment on ALL MAJOR corporations in the area seems to be the fairest way to start to right the ship. Most of the employees working in NYC proper use an MTA line to travel to and from work daily so I think the riders should be exempt from this starting point. The fact is that historically the big boys have benefited from having such a diverse workforce within reach at low fares. They could pay their workers less because transportation cost were relatively low in this region. Since the advent of the (MTA) the cost to the commuters has been steadily rising but wages have been stagnant, leaving aside the financial sector. Until this recession hit corporations in our area were reporting major profits but the workers weren't making more and the (MTA) was charging more. Most people forget that the last fare hike was put in with the promise of MORE service. Now they say they have to CUT service below the previous level and still raise the fare. People...you have been had. I think it's time for the big businesses to pay while we either break up the (MTA) into smaller components and find another way to fund this beast fairly.

and what Bloomberg is doing something about this?nothing....he keep on making these stupid ads on tv I've been seeing 5 time a day(I'm sick of tires seeing)and he just letting this city go to hell....and he expect us to vote for him?Bloombege is jack a**really...if I see him waking down the street I'll beat the crap of him....I really hate him.I rather have Busch run this city.

Elected by who?

Archived