Subway Tunnel Ads

exseed

Recently, I got on an (N) at Atlantic Ave/Pacific St, and somewhere after DeKalb Ave, I saw on the right through the gaps in the tunnel wall, what seemed to be a tunnel ad by the local track. When was this installed? Are they installing more tunnel ads? IMO these are pretty cool!

Its not exactly a tunnel ad. Its called a "masstransiscope." It was meant to be seen by people riding on the Q train. Its basically a bunch of pictures put together to make an animation. It was made by Bill Brand. It was installed in the 80's and uses the old Myrtle Avenue station. It fell into disuse a few years after but was restored recently.

Its not exactly a tunnel ad. Its called a "masstransiscope." It was meant to be seen by people riding on the Q train. Its basically a bunch of pictures put together to make an animation. It was made by Bill Brand. It was installed in the 80's and uses the old Dekalb station. It fell into disuse a few years after but was restored recently.

Myrtle Avenue station.

They should put ads in tunnels if it means (MTA) stops acting retarded. :tup:

- A

They would get covered in graffiti within days of being put up. The only reason it worked on PATH is because there security it so high. Also it would cost too much to clean them or repair the damage that will get done to them. The abandon sides of Bowery and Canal Street on the (J)(M)(Z) were covered in graffiti just a few days after those platforms were abandon.

They would get covered in graffiti within days of being put up. The only reason it worked on PATH is because there security it so high. Also it would cost too much to clean them or repair the damage that will get done to them. The abandon sides of Bowery and Canal Street on the (J)(M)(Z) were covered in graffiti just a few days after those platforms were abandon.

The trains with ads on them have not been tagged as far as ive seen, i think it would work as long as it was in the tunnel.

- A

I have only seen 1 or 2 tage on in the PATH system. Plus, why should the (MTA) put ads in the tunnel when they will spend more money cleaning and fixing them then they will make in ad revenue? An art instalation is nice, but ads in the tunnel will cost the (MTA) money which they do not have.

Does it really cost that much to maintain them?

One installation would require multiple panels. It's not like one screen or something. And in the subway, you have those undesirables who would tag anything. How will you ensure those taggers won't tag the panels? Besides subway tunnels are rather grimy after all these years of service. I'm not saying that those panels will get dusty in 1 day, but overtime they will get dirty. You have to send people down to clean it regularly. And these signs are illuminated, right? You have additional electricity costs to deal with.

So yes. You have to clean them regularly, you need to pay for the electricity and etc...

Isn't each "frame" just made by a vertical "bar" of (what I assume are) LED lights?(as shown in this vid)

I don't see how those could get damaged from graffiti. Maintenance can be done at night when trains run less frequently. Also, considering this is a rare type of advertising, especially in New York, wouldn't companies pay more for the ads because they'd get people's attention?

Archived