Amtrak MOW on parade in Meriden, CT

Fred G

There's trackwork going on about half a mile north of Meriden station and I caught a nice parade of MOW rigs at the station. What was I doing in Meriden? I go there for the flan :tup:

01+Meriden+Track+01.jpg

03+Meriden+Track+03.jpg

07+Meriden+Track+07.jpg

12+Meriden+Track+12.jpg

14+Vermonter+passing+Amtrak+MOW+Meriden.jpg

Then the Vermonter showed up and it was all serious.

16+Vermonter+passing+Amtrak+MOW+Meriden+03.jpg

The Vermonter left and the party continued.

Look here if you need more MOW shots It's not very exciting but enjoy anyway :)

your pal,

Fred

Great shots Fred!

There is a MOW base nearby on the NEC where I shoot so I see this junk all the time coming in and out of the yard or just sitting there among MOW geeps, Is that the P42 that was involved in the recent derailment of the Vermonter? It looks pretty beat up!

Great shots Fred!

There is a MOW base nearby on the NEC where I shoot so I see this junk all the time coming in and out of the yard or just sitting there among MOW geeps, Is that the P42 that was involved in the recent derailment of the Vermonter? It looks pretty beat up!

Thanks, kaback9, I also enjoy seeing MOW stuff. I don't know details about the derailment other than it happened ;)

Good stuff as usual (F)!

I second what (K) said, it looks like it has some damage.

- A

Thanks Andy, it does look hurt.

Nice shots!

Thanks MTR!

Nice!

Interesting how the MOW equipment was on the crossing that didn't come down.

Thanks you. The track was fouled already by the equipment to the north so the block was off.

Greast shots Fred:tup:

Thanks, Curtis B)

Nice pix on the Amtrak MOW's. That is a parade of MOW'ers.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. Nice to see something out of the ordinary on a pretty usual line.

Nice!

Interesting how the MOW equipment was on the crossing that didn't come down.

The block(s) are taken out of service.

- A

Or it could be some of the equipment was to light..this happens alot in NJ on Transit.

Andy is correct. I didn't show it closely but the signal controlling the block north of the grade crossing was dark, as in shut off. I'm not sure about the weight issue, although I have seen HyRail trucks approach grade crossings without activating the gates/signals. I dunno, I'd always thought it was an electrical thing, but could be wrong.

Andy is correct. I didn't show it closely but the signal controlling the block north of the grade crossing was dark, as in shut off. I'm not sure about the weight issue, although I have seen HyRail trucks approach grade crossings without activating the gates/signals. I dunno, I'd always thought it was an electrical thing, but could be wrong.

It is an electrical current that the axle completes. It's different in some situations though, sometimes the sensor is pneumatic, or hydraulic, and triggers the gates/lights, but 90% of the time its the electrical type.

When the blocks are taken out, they can bypass the gate or leave it fully active.

- A

I thought i'd add a bit more info. If the activation system fails the gate automatically activates to protect the track from people or vehicles crossing. Wheel brakes are important as they create a clean conductive service, which is also good for rail adhesion which affects acceleration top speed and braking.

- A

Archived