Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Bracamonte

Overcrowding on the A

It's not crowded all the time. It get's crowded and uncrowded at various points along the line.

Its mostly crowded in the first cars while the rest are fine.

that because lots of the exits are by the front car. It's usually empty between Jay Street and Nostrand Avenue, then first car of Queens bound (A) train gets super packed at Nostrand Avenue and Utica Avenue because people want to be the first to transfer over to the (J)/(Z) and (L) at Broadway Junction.

The (A) is one of the heaviest ridership lines in the B division. It's almost always crowded throughout manhattan in both directions and slammed through Brooklyn and Queens in the peak direction.

Guest Charles

Agreed. The (A) is packed in Northern Manhattan, even on the weekends too. It's the only express line that serves Manhattan north of Washington Heights. It's serves the PABT and the Financial District, and it's the main express through Brooklyn. Plus, it's the sole line into Far Rockaway and Ozone Park.

that because lots of the exits are by the front car. It's usually empty between Jay Street and Nostrand Avenue, then first car of Queens bound (A) train gets super packed at Nostrand Avenue and Utica Avenue because people want to be the first to transfer over to the (J)/(Z) and (L) at Broadway Junction.

And you have people crowding near the doors, exacerbating the situation.

The crowding on the (A) is bearable because I know after Broadway Junction the train will be near empty in PM rush. I normally dont have a problem getting a seat going uptown either. It's not like the (4)(5)(6) on rush hours. Though it feels like the ridership on the Lexington Line has eased up a bit. At least when I ride it feels that way.

The crowding on the (A) is bearable because I know after Broadway Junction the train will be near empty in PM rush. I normally dont have a problem getting a seat going uptown either. It's not like the (4)(5)(6) on rush hours. Though it feels like the ridership on the Lexington Line has eased up a bit. At least when I ride it feels that way.

The Lex is a lot worse than the A.

i definitely can agree with that. But lately I been lucky to catch a seat on the (4)...it seems like its easier to get a seat on the (5) even during rush hour. Sometimes I find myself wishing though that the (6) terminated at Bowling Green...so i could just sit on that and not have to switch at Brooklyn Bridge....but with the nice weather coming and all I'll be glad to walk from Brooklyn Bridge to Rector St. With the (A) I always seem to be going the opposite direction of the rush so i usually get a seat...even if not right away.

i definitely can agree with that. But lately I been lucky to catch a seat on the (4)...it seems like its easier to get a seat on the (5) even during rush hour. Sometimes I find myself wishing though that the (6) terminated at Bowling Green...so i could just sit on that and not have to switch at Brooklyn Bridge....but with the nice weather coming and all I'll be glad to walk from Brooklyn Bridge to Rector St. With the (A) I always seem to be going the opposite direction of the rush so i usually get a seat...even if not right away.

Overcrowding on the 4 is unbelievable during rush hours. I had the misfortune to be squeezed in at Brooklyn Bridge going uptown at 6 PM once. The ride was unimaginable, unlike anything like the A. The problem with the A is that people choose to pack near the doors for no reason. However on the 4, there is no choice but to pack near the doors.