What subway cars did the brown <R> use?

R10 2952

I'm guessing that the <R> Nassau Street Rush Hour Service may have used R-42s, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know the actual cars that the <R> used? Also, was the <R> a 4th Avenue Local or a 4th Avenue Express in Brooklyn?

I'm guessing that the <R> Nassau Street Rush Hour Service may have used R-42s, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know the actual cars that the <R> used? Also, was the <R> a 4th Avenue Local or a 4th Avenue Express in Brooklyn?

It was the 'Nassau St / 4 Avenue Local'. Chambers Street-Brooklyn Bridge to Bay Ridge-95 St. Hmm, the cars? Im going to say yes, R-42s, but somebody please correct me if im wrong.

Zach

Local

What was the <R>? I remeber seeing somthing about it, but why was it in place?

It had something to do with the Chrystie Connection.. It was known as the RJ back in 1967 which ran from 168th on Jamica line to 95th street, then a few months later cut to Chambers Street and renamed RR, Which then became <R> in 86 after the IND got rid of double letters..

Got some info off my head and wiki:

On October 17, 1949, the platforms on the BMT Astoria Line had been shaved, and the BMT's Astoria Shuttle was replaced with through service from the Fourth Avenue Line. On January 1, 1961, the northern terminal was relocated to its current location at Forest Hills–71st Avenue, via the BMT 60th Street Tunnel Connection. On June 29, 1950, special rush hour trains began running between 95th Street and Chambers Street via the south side of the Manhattan Bridge and/or the Montague Street Tunnel. This was discontinued two years later.

In winter 1960–61, letters started to appear on the RR, which was known as the "Fourth Avenue Local via Tunnel", from Forest Hills–71st Avenue to Bay Ridge–95th Street, like current R service. On November 27, 1967, the day after the IND Chrystie Street Connection opened, the RR was moved back to Ditmars Boulevard–Astoria on the BMT Astoria Line. (EE service began at Whitehall Street–South Ferry and used the former route to 71st Avenue). The Nassau Street specials were through-routed from 95th Street to 168th Street in Jamaica as RJ. Under the first color scheme, RR was colored green and RJ was red.

The RJ service only lasted a few months before it was cut back to Chambers Street and renamed as additional RR rush-hour peak-direction service. In May 1986, when double letters were eliminated, RR service became R. R service was assigned the color yellow (because it used the BMT Broadway Line), and the special Chambers Street rush-hour R service was brown (using the Nassau Street Line).

Effective May 24, 1987, the north terminals of the N and R were swapped, taking the R along the IND Queens Boulevard Line to Forest Hills–71st Avenue. The change was made to give the R access to the repair facility[1] at Jamaica Yard.

When the IND Archer Avenue Line opened on December 11, 1988, E service was rerouted along to Jamaica Center–Parsons Boulevard, and the R was extended to replace the E to Jamaica–179th Street. At the same time, the special rush-hour service to Chambers Street was removed.

I have this idea that its a loop. But I guess the only way to know is to stay on the train when it terminates there

I believe the train will enter on the northbound track move towards the junction, cross over to the southbound track using those switches. It's a complicated process, slows the trains down.

Actually, the <R> did not actually turn at Chambers. Remember, this was a Peak direction only service. For the most part, they ran to Metropolitan Ave (to be layed up at Fresh Pond Yard), Canarsie(to be layed up in Canarsie Yard) or East New York (to be layed up at East NY Yard).

Looking back, I feel the need to clarify one point. I am not saying that 33rd street is wrong about how trains terminate, when using Chambers as a North Terminal. He is entirely correct about how Chambers can be used as a terminal. Chambers station was used as a terminal in this way in the 1998 Williamsburg Bridge closure, when the rush hour M ran from Bay Parkway to Chambers St.

Archived