Should the (G) terminate at Queens Plaza?

TheMan

I know that at one point the (G) terminated at Queens Plaza when it didn't run to Forest Hills - 71 Av. Do you think that the (G) should regularly terminate at Queens Plaza when the service cut are incorported, why or why not?

I know that at one point the (G) terminated at Queens Plaza when it didn't run to Forest Hills - 71 Av. Do you think that the (G) should regularly terminate at Queens Plaza when the service cut are incorported, why or why not?

Yea, I mean, it's gonna be tougher, but keeping it to 71th Ave for a low ridership makes no sense, but it really doesn't make a difference for the budget.

That was before the 63rd Street Tunnel Connector, there was a pocket track for the G trains to turn. I believe the connector demolished that track. Besides, I heard a while back that Qns Plaza does not have facilities for train crews (while Court Sq does).

Besides, Court Square is connected to the E and the V and there is a physical transfer being built to the 7.

In Queens Plaza, the (G) train would use the outer tracks to serve that station. A (G) terminal wouldn't be a good idea, because it would back up (R) service, in addition the (E) and (V), because it crosses the middle tracks, to one layup track which is not there anymore according to what Henry said above. between two express tracks used by the (E), then cross into the "Manhattan Bound" side to back via the Crosstown tracks. But with the service cuts the (G) isn't going north of Court Square, so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The relay track at Queens Plaza is still there. I'm not sure is Queens Plaza still has crew facilities.

I heard they don't.

G riders could connect to the 7 via an enclosed connection by the end of year or the beginning of the next. And there's still the E and the V. The only disadvantage is the long connection between the E/V platforms and the G.

And terminating at Queens Blvd would tie up the E, R and V.

Guest Charles

If the (G) does somehow find it's way to Queens Plaza, could it work like the (D), exchanging crews at Bedford Park Blvd and turning around at Norwood?

If the (G) does somehow find it's way to Queens Plaza, could it work like the (D), exchanging crews at Bedford Park Blvd and turning around at Norwood?

That wouldn't solve the Queens Blvd. overcrowding though since the next place a (G) could turn without disrupting other QBlvd lines would still be Continental.

Turning at Queens Plaza would not work because all trains on D4 (the (E)(V)) would have to wait for the (G) to cross over and then clear two switches as it moves onto 5 track.

Likewise, if a (E) or (V) pulls into D4 at the same time a (G) pulls in on D2, the (G) will have to sit tight and watch while the (E) clears the switch, or the (V) takes the crossover north of the station onto the local, both of which block the (G)'s move. While all this is going on, an (R) is held outside the station waiting for the (G) to move. Things will back up quickly like this.

So While the idea of getting the (G) to connect with the other Queens Blvd lines is a good one, operationally the idea would not work.

terrible idea...what i think should be done though is to make the (V) train run through Roosevelt Island send the (F) back through with (E) from Rockafella. I thought the (G) could get itself back to 10 cars going to Forest Hills and make the (V) terminate at Queensbridge as a four car train but I figured that might cut off access for the Queens Blvd riders and anything that goes through that part of Lexington shouldnt have anything less than 8 cars.

terrible idea...what i think should be done though is to make the (V) train run through Roosevelt Island send the (F) back through with (E) from Rockafella. I thought the (G) could get itself back to 10 cars going to Forest Hills and make the (V) terminate at Queensbridge as a four car train but I figured that might cut off access for the Queens Blvd riders and anything that goes through that part of Lexington shouldnt have anything less than 8 cars.

How about no....we've had this discussed numerous of times. The (F) is doing fine via 63rd Connector and plus it had high ridership though there also!

How about no....we've had this discussed numerous of times. The (F) is doing fine via 63rd Connector and plus it had high ridership though there also!

you could have this discussion a million times and I think my opinion would be the same...ok so the (F) is doing fine there already. what's to say switching the (F) and (V) wouldn't make it so a local train doesn't have to make a switch at Queens Plaza while the (E) waits for it to pass or vice versa. The (V) might actually have some sorta ridership on it cuz right now from what I see its basically empty all the time. They want to cut the (W) a train that is actually needed and I'm looking at a train that right now I think we could do without. So if they are gonna keep it around make some sorta use out of it.

I spend enough time around that area so I'm pretty sure of myself on that. Of course the (F) is gonna have high ridership. It goes to Stillwell and Jamaica. This is to get ridership on the (V) because from what I see other than another local across queens blvd its basically another (F) train that terminates at 2nd Avenue and is empty. But this is way off topic and it was just something I was saying I had thought about.

As for the (G) itself. I feel like there's no reason to terminate it at Queens Plaza. What I wanted to see be done for the (G) is actually under consideration so I'm happy with it. Not like I ride the (G) much anyway but I could see some major delays of service with this thing terminated at Queens Plaza and I'd hate to be on the (E) or (R) train that has to wait for the (G) to switch to the appropriate tracks before I can get to my point B.

No, What, No? It is not about fineness now, it is about how to speed things up at Queens Blvd. And the (V) hasn't high ridership, so the (V) should go to 63rd Street Connector and get ridership. Now, that is a smart way to keep moving forward*.

*Copyright of Toyota, -_-...

Hmmm that makes no sense what's so ever and 2nd of all there was an article posted on here by another member stating that the (F) had great ridership via 63rd Street Connector. The reason the (V) was made is to relief the congestion of Queens Blvd. Hense why the (F) went through 63rd Street and the (V) via 53rd Street replacing the (F) from 53rd Street....like I said the (F) will not go back to 53rd Street.....the (F) is doing real fine @ 63rd Street!

Why? The (V) is so not cool going down 60th. It block trains and slows things down. It is twisted havoc at Queens Plaza! That is why the (G) had to get cut short. Possibly, Queens Plaza cannot take it because it is too much for them. The (F) on the East and the (G)(R)(V) on the West. The (E) is the only line that gives sanity to them. If the (F) goes down 60th and (V) goes down 63rd. There would be only two lines having to be switch swotched - The (G) and the (R). You don't get it don't you?

Hmmmmm 60th Street is the (N)(R)(W)....sooo hmmm again. The (F) and (V) aren't switching @ all, they are both fine just the way the are and 33rd Street comment put the nail on the coffin. Do you get it!

i hope you guys know the (G) used to terminate at Queens Plaza on evenings and weekends prior to 1997. they changed that due to constant delays with the (R) line and added a free transfer to 23rd Street-Ely Avenue because of that. the (V) has been getting more and more used lately. in fact, the 2008 State of the Subways Report Card showed you have a higher chance of getting a seat on 11 other lines than the (V), so stop calling it useless.

i actually remembered the (G) doing that before i moved out of the city. So I don't feel it should be addressed again. I already said the one thing i wanted to be done with it was under consideration. Will be nice to see it actually pick up passengers at 4th and Church Avenue if it happens.

They could Terminate (G) trains at Queens Plaza the switch into the Spur is still there and they make that move with (G) lay ups. I did the move myself. However if they did that would Block (R) service while the train is being discharged at Queens Plaza and then it had to cross over 2 switches into the Spur which would block (E)(V) Service. Then when it goes back out to cross to the southbound it for sure will hold up any of the (E)(R)(V) trains coming down. Trains are always moving in that area non-stop.

The (V) is there to help overcrowding on the Queens Blvd and 53 St lines. They don't want the (F) Service on the 53 Street line because Lexington Ave would get too overcrowded you have packed (E)(F) trains coming in where are the people going to go? At least the (V) the loads are lite so if they need to move people off the platform onto the (V) they can. They could make the (V) more useful like extend the Line from 2AV to Kings Highway then cut all the (F) Trains that would turn at Kings Highway during rush hours

They could Terminate (G) trains at Queens Plaza the switch into the Spur is still there and they make that move with (G) lay ups. I did the move myself. However if they did that would Block (R) service while the train is being discharged at Queens Plaza and then it had to cross over 2 switches into the Spur which would block (E)(V) Service. Then when it goes back out to cross to the southbound it for sure will hold up any of the (E)(R)(V) trains coming down. Trains are always moving in that area non-stop.

The (V) is there to help overcrowding on the Queens Blvd and 53 St lines. They don't want the (F) Service on the 53 Street line because Lexington Ave would get too overcrowded you have packed (E)(F) trains coming in where are the people going to go? At least the (V) the loads are lite so if they need to move people off the platform onto the (V) they can. They could make the (V) more useful like extend the Line from 2AV to Kings Highway then cut all the (F) Trains that would turn at Kings Highway during rush hours

By the way Dave...why do they terminate the (F) at Kings Highway anyhow? I kinda find it weird.

This was done last year with (R) service, for a weekend service change. QP was the last stop in queens, then (R) service was turned back manhattan bound using the spur track. Let's just say major delays would be an major understatement for that weekend.. Using the spur for daily (G) service would be out of the question.. With 30 min headway's on the midnight, it might be feasible though..

Guest Charles
in fact, the 2008 State of the Subways Report Card showed you have a higher chance of getting a seat on 11 other lines than the (V), so stop calling it useless.

Surprisingly, in the 2008 report, you're most likely to get a seat on the (Q) which seems strange:

http://www.straphangers.org/statesub08/Q.pdf

About the (G): personally the current system works in my opinion. 23 St/Ely Av is now a busy transfer hub, and the (E) and (V) trains carry the (G)'s passengers from Brooklyn into Manhattan. I've walked through the passageway many times; it's not that bad.

By the way Dave...why do they terminate the (F) at Kings Highway anyhow? I kinda find it weird.

Some trains they do it because they are Put ins or Lay ups its easy to just end or start at Kings Highway from Ave X Yard or Culver YD which ever name you want to use. Also some turn arounds are to aviod Conjection into Stillwell (F) Terminal because it can't handle the 4 Minute Headway.

I guess the NYCT won't want to do it because some would complain about the cut in there QNS (F) Express service.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

The solution at QP would have been a loop from the local track at one side, to the other. That could have been feasible with all of the construction already in the area.

Archived