Railfan Trip 07/01/09

All right, everthing looks fine. You might start planning the times though. That will give us a heads-up on this.

By the way, Dan, IIRC, the slants are going at 1 set per week. After the Memorial Day weekend in the earliest, they will disappear altogether. While there are a hundred something left, there are only about 7-8 sets in service. By the time we do the trip, they will be scrapped for parts or in the ocean. The A would be filled with R46s coming in from Jamaica Yd. As for the R40Ms, I don't expect many by the time we do the trip. I don't have the retirement schedule with me, but AFAIK, they will go after their slanted counterparts and the fleet size is not that great.

The R32s will hang around, so by then the A will be saturated with R32s, R44s and R46s.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok here's my times idea.

We going to get ready to ride the R32 or R40 Slant (A) at 10:15 AM

Then at 10:35 AM we will ride the (F) at Jay Street.

We should arrive at Coney Island at 11:15 or 11:20 AM.

At 11:30 AM we will have lunch break at Coney Island (Bring own money for lunch).

At 11:50 AM we will hop on or wait for an R68/R68A's on the (Q)

Then we can take an R68 (;) train take it to Atlantic Avenue for the (D)

Then we will take the (D) at Pacific Street at 12:15 PM and take it to W 59th Street for the R32 or R40 Slant (A) train.

Then we take it to W 145th Street and get back on the (D).

Then we will take it to 161st Street and take pics of Yankess Stadium at (4) platform.

Then at 1:15 we will take the (4) to Grand Central and end our trip there.

Note: The stations we will take pics at will be the Following in Order

Jay Street

Smith-9th Streets

4th Avenue

Coney Island

W 8th Street

Ocean Parkway

Brighton Beach

Sheapshead Bay

Atlantic Avenue

W 59th Street

W 145th Street

161st Street-Yankess Stadium

Grand Central

So what you guys think now?

There were 90 slants left at the beginning of the week. By the end of this week 3 more R46s will be transferred (if not already) so that leaves the number down to 60 slants left. They will all be gone by the trip. That means we have to wait a lot longer for an R32 (A) since only a few run.

Since the only lines that will have RFWs then will be the (A)(C)(J)(Z)(7), and maybe the (E)(F), and since you can't do Queens lines, the (A) and (C) are your main options.

There were 90 slants left at the beginning of the week. By the end of this week 3 more R46s will be transferred (if not already) so that leaves the number down to 60 slants left. They will all be gone by the trip. That means we have to wait a lot longer for an R32 (A) since only a few run.

Since the only lines that will have RFWs then will be the (A)(C)(J)(Z)(7), and maybe the (E)(F), and since you can't do Queens lines, the (A) and (C) are your main options.

if thats the case we will wait for an R32 (C) train

Trip routes UPDATE:

We going to get ready to ride the R32 or R40 Slant (A)(C) at 10:15 AM

We should arrive at Coney Island at 11:15 or 11:20 AM.

At 11:30 AM we will hop on or wait for an R68/R68A's on the (Q)

Then we can take an R68 (:) train take it to Atlantic Avenue for the (D)

Then we will take the (D) at Pacific Street at 12:05 PM and take it to W 59th Street for the R32 or R40 Slant (A) train.

But before we do that we will have lunch at columbus circle at Wendys, Subways or Lennys. You guys decide

Then we take the R32 or R40 Slant (A) to W 145th Street and get back on the (D).

Then we will take it to 161st Street and take pics of Yankess Stadium at (4) platform.

Then at 1:15 we will take the (4) to Grand Central and end our trip there.

Jay Street

Smith-9th Streets

4th Avenue

Coney Island

W 8th Street

Ocean Parkway

Brighton Beach

Sheapshead Bay

Atlantic Avenue

W 59th Street

W 145th Street

161st Street-Yankess Stadium

Grand Central

Trip routes UPDATE:

We going to get ready to ride the R32 (A)(C) at 10:15 AM

We should arrive at Coney Island at 11:15 AM.

At 11:35 AM we will hop on or wait for an R68/R68A's on the (Q)

Then we can take an R68 (:) train take it to Atlantic Avenue for the (D)

Not really necessary, we could just take the (Q) up.

But before we do that we will have lunch at columbus circle at Wendys, Subways or Lennys. You guys decide

Wendy's

Then we will take the (D) at Pacific Street at 12:35, we need time to eat, around a half hour's worth - it goes by faster than you think PM and take it to W 59th Street for the R32 (A) train.

Then we take the R32 (A) to W 145th Street at 1:00 and get back on the (D).

Then at 1:20 we will take the (4) to Grand Central and end our trip there.

Arrive at Grand Central around 1:50-2:00.

Jay Street

Smith-9th Streets

4th Avenue

Coney Island

W 8th Street

Ocean Parkway

Brighton Beach if we're stopping at OP, this isn't exactly necessary

Sheapshead Bay

Atlantic Avenue

59th Street

145th Street

161st Street-Yankee Stadium

Grand Central

Replies/suggestions/time corrections in red

I know that after we arrive at Grand Central, I'll be taking the (7) home, and if I'm not tired I'll RF the (7) to Flushing (maybe the <7>). If anyone's interested in that they could join me.

Replies/suggestions/time corrections in red

I know that after we arrive at Grand Central, I'll be taking the (7) home, and if I'm not tired I'll RF the (7) to Flushing (maybe the <7>). If anyone's interested in that they could join me.

fine here's plan C

We will take an R32 (A)(C) train at 10:15 AM at W 4th Street to Jay Street for the R160 (F) or an R32/R40M/R42 (F)

Then take the (F) to Coney Island with some photos stops which are Smith-9th Streets and 4th Avenue

Then we should arrive at Coney Island at 11:20

Then we will take an R68/R68A (Q) train at Coney Island at 11:30 and stop at stations which are W 8th Street, Ocean Parkway.

Then we will get off at Sheapshead Bay take pics and take an R68 (:) train and take it to W 59th Street for Wendys.

Then we will eat there for 30 minutes

Then take the R32, R44, R46 (A) to W 145th Street for the (D).

Then take the (D) to Yankees Stadium and take pics there for 15 minutes

Then take the (4) to Grand Central at 1:50 PM or 2:00 PM and take a ride on the (7) If I can to QueensBoro Plaza.

Then after that I'm heading home so what do you guys think?

Following stations are stoping at

Jay Street

Smith-9th Streets

4th Avenue

Coney Island

W 8th Street

Ocean Parkway

Sheapshead Bay

Atlantic Avenue

59th Street

145th Street

Grand Central

QueensBoro Plaza

fine here's plan C

We will take an R32 (A)(C) train at 10:15 AM at W 4th Street to Jay Street for the R160 (F) or an R32/R40M/R42 (F)

Then take the (F) to Coney Island with some photos stops which are Smith-9th Streets and 4th Avenue

Then we should arrive at Coney Island at 11:20

Then we will take an R68/R68A (Q) train at Coney Island at 11:30 and stop at stations which are W 8th Street, Ocean Parkway.

Then we will get off at Sheapshead Bay take pics and take an R68 (:) train and take it to W 59th Street for Wendys.

Then we will eat there for 30 minutes

Then take the R32, R44, R46 (A) to W 145th Street for the (D).

Then take the (D) to Yankees Stadium and take pics there for 15 minutes

Then take the (4) to Grand Central at 1:50 PM or 2:00 PM and take a ride on the (7) If I can to QueensBoro Plaza.

Then after that I'm heading home so what do you guys think?

Following stations are stoping at

Jay Street

Smith-9th Streets

4th Avenue

Coney Island

W 8th Street

Ocean Parkway

Sheapshead Bay

Atlantic Avenue

59th Street

145th Street

Grand Central

QueensBoro Plaza

Better, but just one thing. We shouldn't get the R42 (F) at Jay if we're just getting off at Smith again. We should take any (F) to Smith(back of the platform), then take pics, etc., take any (F) to 4th Ave., walk to the front, and then wait for an R42 (F). Then instead of waiting at CI for 10 minutes we should wait at 20, since you can get a lot of good pics there. But other than that, the trip is fine.

Better, but just one thing. We shouldn't get the R42 (F) at Jay if we're just getting off at Smith again. We should take any (F) to Smith(back of the platform), then take pics, etc., take any (F) to 4th Ave., walk to the front, and then wait for an R42 (F). Then instead of waiting at CI for 10 minutes we should wait at 20, since you can get a lot of good pics there. But other than that, the trip is fine.

ok thats a deal

Archived