Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
DX Local Train

Will The Death Of The (Z) Really Make A Diffrence

I personally don't think so to me a Skip-Stop Shouldn't have been invented because it just confuses Some riders.Now I never road the (J)/(Z) Skip Stop But i don't think it will make any difference.

But i wanna know what every one else thinks?

No difference at all, the Z is just another J.

And the skip stop service is really pointless. It limits the number of trains on the track and the trains are already moving at a slower speed (due to timers and tight curves)

The (Z) is a very pointless train. I don't see why of it's exsistance. Now the (W) is a useful train! I don't want to let my (W) go!

No difference at all, the Z is just another J.

And the skip stop service is really pointless. It limits the number of trains on the track and the trains are already moving at a slower speed (due to timers and tight curves)

yeah also if you wanna get to a (J)(Z) station such as woodhaven blvd and you start for example at Canal. The next train is the (J), why wait for the (Z) skip stop exp if the (J) would be first at Woodhaven. Now unless the (Z) was to run exp up to ENY and the (J) was local, the(Z) would be at woodhaven first

Just curious, why is the (W) necessary?

The (W) is needed to cover the former (N) Local stops(Day/Eve Service) from 28th to Whitehall, seeing that there is Astoria passangers.. And also to ease overcrowding on the (N) too, in queens

The (W) is needed to cover the former (N) Local stops(Day/Eve Service) from 28th to Whitehall, seeing that there is Astoria passangers.. And also to ease overcrowding on the (N) too, in queens

Can't they just transfer to and (R) in Manhattan if they want to get off at a local stop? I understand the (W) is convenient, but it isn't vital.

Just curious, why is the (W) necessary?

Astoria riders have direct access to the financial district without having to switch to the (R) at Union Square of most importantly Canal St. That's a hell of an exercise routine switching from the lower (N)(Q) platform to the (R). Also for people like me who live in the financial area its direct access to Astoria and provides relief during rush hour for the (N) which goes in the same direction.

Astoria riders have direct access to the financial district without having to switch to the (R) at Union Square of most importantly Canal St. That's a hell of an exercise routine switching from the lower (N)(Q) platform to the (R). Also for people like me who live in the financial area its direct access to Astoria and provides relief during rush hour for the (N) which goes in the same direction.

So its convenient, but its not like you're going to have a hell of a commute or something. Take the (N) and switch to the (R) at 57th street. Much easier than Canal or Union Square.

Getting rid of the (Z) will just make the Nassau St and Jamaica Els not have any express service anymore. All the (J) and (Z) trains do during rush hours is skip the same stops and stop at the same ones. Makes little difference with one train gone.

Getting rid of the (Z) will just make the Nassau St and Jamaica Els not have any express service anymore. All the (J) and (Z) trains do during rush hours is skip the same stops and stop at the same ones. Makes little difference with one train gone.

Its nothing wrong with the (Z) nor the Broadway El express service!

• Upvote 1

Can't they just transfer to and (R) in Manhattan if they want to get off at a local stop? I understand the (W) is convenient, but it isn't vital.

Well if you were an Astoria passanger, would you like to go home on an overcrowded (R) for the (N) at 14th?

(W) is there for Astoria passangers to get to the city and also provider an alternative to the (N) when its packed..

its Not hard to tranfer to the (R) at 14st from the (N) its right across teh platform

hard but bothersome...and people do just want a one seat ride from up there to down here as would i when i go up there.

The number of (Z) trains that actually run though...you could replace those with more (J)s improve the frequency in the number of trains that run through and perhaps even somewhat speed up the service between Broadway Junction and 121st which is where the skip stop actually takes place. I know there are a few more stops after that but there's that whole express track that goes unused. It might not be too impossible to run a peak direction (J) express through there between Bway Junction and Myrtle Ave giving the (J) a diamond on the map most likely. I mean the (1) service actually improved after the (9) was taken out. I feel the (J) would be no different. It's already world's better than it was when I was a kid.

The (J) and (Z) skip-stop service is just useless. I think this doomsday is the end of skip-stop service for good. Skip-stop service is really confusing, useless and bothersome. I personally feel that the (Z) cut should be made by the time the (9) went out.

For the (W), I feel it is much more convienient for Astoria riders to the Financial District. The (W) should be kept to cover the missing (R) train spots during late nights since the (R) runs as (R) Shuttle in Southern Brooklyn.

IAWTP

Well if you were an Astoria passanger, would you like to go home on an overcrowded (R) for the (N) at 14th?

(W) is there for Astoria passangers to get to the city and also provider an alternative to the (N) when its packed..

But the ridership of (W) is not that high, and it really doesn't relieve the pressure of (N) as I see it, but the (W) is actually a good alternative for (7) riders who are going to Queensboro Plaza.

The thing is, skip stop service was meant to speed up trains along a two tracked section. The problem is, the el is littered with timers and curves, which would slow the process all down. It's not that efficient when it comes to operating the whole set up. So it would make sense to have the J make all stops, I mean, the people are used to it, aren't they?

I would think so. I mean don't get me wrong. There are situations where Skip-Stop works. SEPTA's Market-Frankford line in Philadelphia has an A and B train and it actually works pretty well. Skip - Stop is good when you have a system that runs basically in a straight line. But the (J)(Z) line as you said has so many timers and sharp curves that the trains can rarely run at a decent speed.

I would think so. I mean don't get me wrong. There are situations where Skip-Stop works. SEPTA's Market-Frankford line in Philadelphia has an A and B train and it actually works pretty well. Skip - Stop is good when you have a system that runs basically in a straight line. But the (J)(Z) line as you said has so many timers and sharp curves that the trains can rarely run at a decent speed.

True, SEPTA's MFL works decent with the A/B set up.

I'm not quite sure, but did the 9 worked well with the skip stop service it had?

i heard it after several stops it was just another (1) train. It really made no difference. I never saw it myself. But I imagine it worked better than (J)(Z) skip stop service but seeing as its gone now I guess we all know how much of a difference it made. MTA did the right thing by getting rid of the (9) and just running more (1)s. Considering its a local train it is pretty quick. I once beat my roommate to 168th st on it and he went for the (A) to go to the same stop. It also runs far more frequently than the (A) in my opinion.

The (J),(Z) combo was not implemented because of the speed of the trains. It was designed to decrease the dwell time the train spent in the stations along the route. If you have a station with a heavy passenger load it just backs up all the trains behind it. As that train progresses along the route it spends even more time in each station as riders try to board an already packed train. By skipping stops it allows the following trains to pick up a share of that load and avoid all trains behind the first one being delayed also. That's the theory....how it worked in the field I leave to you riders and (J)/(Z) train crews.

is that why the (Z) hasnt been eliminated yet? i never noticed it existed much...i really think they could kill it off and just run more (J)s Maybe even make use of that express track from Junction to Myrtle. I don't know...does that sound feasible to anyone?