Favorite/Least favorite line to work (C/Rs and T/Os respond only please!)

Rutgers Tube

After chatting with a few C/Rs and T/Os, I've received different responses as far as to which lines they prefer to work on and which lines are not well-liked. Pay differentials play a large role from what I'm gathering. For those of you who are/were and C/Rs and T/Os, which are/were your favorite and least lines and times to work, and why?

This is really a ridiculous question because it is all about personal preference. T/O's and C/R's like different lines for different reasons and as for pay differential, the pay is the same no matter what line you work unless you work at night you get night differential which isn't even the 10% that you would get working at McDonalds.

As I have said before a large majority of people work lines that are closest to there homes for convenience. For example virtually everyone who lives in Staten Island works the R out of 95th street or something out of stillwell.

For me personally if I was going to pick a road job it would most likely be a.m.s on the A out of Far Rock because that's my favorite line (only on a.m.'s) and far rock is closest to home.

I was told that certain tours, like the 42nd Street, shuttle where the conductor and operator swap duties, offer differential pay for performing both duties. Someone else briefly mentioned other differentials for working certain lines, but he didn't have the time to discuss it further.

As you stated, Jah, it's all about personal preference, which is why I included the term "favorite" in the question. It's no different than asking someone what baseball team they like most. I know of one C/R who personally hates the 1 line because of the passengers and because of one station (181st Street, I think) where people throw debris at the train and crew from the mezzanine. Sorry to waste your time with ridiculous questions.

I was told that certain tours, like the 42nd Street, shuttle where the conductor and operator swap duties, offer differential pay for performing both duties.

The T/O and C/R never swap duties. For this to happen a C/R would have to operate the train. There is OPTO (one person train operation) where the T/O does his job and the job of a C/R for a pathetic $2 more an hour.

My favorite line is the (A) a.m.'s only and my least favorite is the (F) on any tour.

I don't think that's it's ridiculous. True, it's all about preference, but you'd be surprised how our preferences wildly differ.

Personally, my favorite lines are the (J) because it is an outdoor line, the (V) because the runs are fast and the workload not designed to break your back, the (A) because it's quick plus the run out to the Rockaways and the (;) because you can really open up the train on the Brighton Line.

My non-favorites: the (C) because of the Brooklyn clientèle, the Tower Operators will put any other train that doesn't have a (C) in front of you, and the terminal crew rooms are dungeons, the (N) because the R160 controller kills your hand on the run between Canal St and 59/4 in Brooklyn, and the (6) because that line is the modern-day version of a southern plantation. Getting to Pelham Bay Park ontime is akin to getting a photo of the Loch Ness Monster smoking a cigarette and downing a beer.

My favorite line is the (A) a.m.'s only and my least favorite is the (F) on any tour.

A perfect example of how opinions differ. I like working the (F). Of course it helps when the terminal is just minutes from my house and when the 46's are my favorite equipment type.

Well my least favorite line is clear cut its the (F) Line I hate it because its long then put the (E)(G)(V) train in front of you. If any lines in the IND messes up it affects (F) service. Then to put the icing on the cake you must realy your own train at 179 Street which can be a 10 to 40 Minutes out of your schedule but the schedule allows for only 10 Minutes but don't happen much so you will get a late clear or a no lunch in most cases

My favorite line is not so clear Up as for the Run its the (A) outside its the (J) for a easy short run with equil time on and off the train it goes to the (V) Line. In

In the IRT Favorite run is the (5) least favorite (2) but I feel most at home on the (6).

Overall Best (5) Worst (F)

My non-favorites: the (C) because of the Brooklyn clientèle, the Tower Operators will put any other train that doesn't have a (C) in front of you, and the terminal crew rooms are dungeons, the (N) because the R160 controller kills your hand on the run between Canal St and 59/4 in Brooklyn, and the (6) because that line is the modern-day version of a southern plantation. Getting to Pelham Bay Park ontime is akin to getting a photo of the Loch Ness Monster smoking a cigarette and downing a beer.

Working the (C) the only problem I had was 42 they always put a (E) ahead of you but every where else its who came first or scheduled to leave first.

The (6) yeah we do call it another day on the plantation but they make the best of it besides the non stop crowds and crawling behind your leader and in and out at the terminals I enjoyed working the line.

I thought on the (G) line they did that (T/O and C/R swaping duties). So at the 4th avenue layup the T/O and C/R switch cabs?

When the (G) goes into the relay the T/O and C/R do switch cabs but they don't switch duties. The T/O operates from the new cab and the C/R works the doors from his new cab.

My favorite line is the (N) ... I like it because it's a two tripper , has no relays at either end (both terminals end in bumping blocks) , has outdoors operation at both ends and goes over the bridge in the middle. And for the most part it runs express. I like it a lot less when it's local late nights and goes through the tunnel. I like outdoors operation. Some guys hate it because they don't want to go outside if they get a BIE. I don't care. Also , it is almost entirely R-160's now , and I do like to operate that train.

I'll give an honorable mention to the (D) , (J) , (Q) (when it's a 160) , (;) , (F) (although I agree the relays at 179 are a royal pain) , (A) (when it's to Far Rock or Rock Park and running express)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Least favorite line is the (C) ... local all the way , underground all the way , some jobs are three trips and overall I think the line just plain sucks.

I'll also give thumbs down to the (R) (even though I live right by it) , the (V) , the (W) , the (E) , the (G).

When the (G) goes into the relay the T/O and C/R do switch cabs but they don't switch duties. The T/O operates from the new cab and the C/R works the doors from his new cab.
I've seen a relay man that gets on at Carroll St and takes over the train at Smith-9th Street to put it into relay while the normal T/O and C/R switch cabs.

I've seen a relay man that gets on at Carroll St and takes over the train at Smith-9th Street to put it into relay while the normal T/O and C/R switch cabs.

Yeah there used to be 3 but I think it's down to only 2 jobs for switchmen to pull the (G) trains into the relay. They only do a selected few though.

My favorite line is the (N) ... I like it because it's a two tripper , has no relays at either end (both terminals end in bumping blocks) , has outdoors operation at both ends and goes over the bridge in the middle. And for the most part it runs express. I like it a lot less when it's local late nights and goes through the tunnel. I like outdoors operation. Some guys hate it because they don't want to go outside if they get a BIE. I don't care. Also , it is almost entirely R-160's now , and I do like to operate that train.

I'll give an honorable mention to the (D) , (J) , (Q) (when it's a 160) , (:) , (F) (although I agree the relays at 179 are a royal pain) , (A) (when it's to Far Rock or Rock Park and running express)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Least favorite line is the (C) ... local all the way , underground all the way , some jobs are three trips and overall I think the line just plain sucks.

I'll also give thumbs down to the (R) (even though I live right by it) , the (V) , the (W) , the (E) , the (G).

whats a BIE? why is it worse outside than inside?

whats a BIE? why is it worse outside than inside?

BIE = Brakes in emergency. Well just think about it, you would have to go outside the train and walk the tracks to check your train and with it being outside, it could be windy, wet, plus could also be on an elevated.

As a C/R, working midnights, my favorite is the D-line, because it's close to my house, and you get a nice break when it goes express in Manhattan. The N and Q, I like also. The worst is the A line, because it's local, 58 stops one way. If one gets A-101 or A-102 it's two trips against the wall, which is torture

BIE = Brakes in emergency. Well just think about it, you would have to go outside the train and walk the tracks to check your train and with it being outside, it could be windy, wet, plus could also be on an elevated.

i rather deal with the weather than the rats. personal opinion

As a M/M my favorite line is obviously the (5) but that's only because of the run from 3rd Ave to Dyre Ave via the express track. South of there the (5) gets treated like the (C). During rush hours every time you hit a choke point such as Mott Ave-149th St your supposed follower , a (4), will get a lineup southbound before you do, even if he is early, and you drag behind him all the way to Franklin Ave in Brooklyn. Then to top it off the RCC or a gap station will call me and ask me why I'm late. I guess the (C) crews understand the feeling best. My least favorite lines are the (1) and (6) mainly because I'm a Brooklyn guy and those lines don't appeal to me in any way. Actually as the others have said it boils down to personal likes and dislikes. And the work programs for each line. Some guys go for the money and some for the convenience.

i rather deal with the weather than the rats. personal opinion

Rats are overrated.. They usually run from you, plus they're usually only within a hundred yards of the stations, due to the garbage & food debris that makes it to the tracks.. Where there is no food, no rats.. On the other hand, trying to walk around a BIE train by climbing up/around signal boxes and other equipment installed over the years, walking around a train on a bridge, now your talking BAD day at work..

My favorite lines are the (A) for the outside & express run, (J)&(M) for being almost always outside. As for what's available to me now, I'll go for the (E)& (V) for the short run when I can, & weekends on the (G) because it is almost always short-lined to court square/LIC..

There's also some sweet PM jobs on the (M) that I like and failed to mention. A put in in CI Yard , 1 round trip Bay Pkwy to Met and back , layup to CI Yard and WAA time to end it. Never been bothered there during the WAA. In the whole system my two favorite places to operate are the (A) line outside of Grant Ave to the Rockaways , and I love that stretch on the (M) from Met to Myrtle. Thing is , looks like that's about all that's going to be left of the (M) pretty soon.

I've done that job before (I think there's two of them?) and in fact was the only job yet that I had a "student" on , although my student was a motorman for 10 years ... lol ... he had one of the jobs last pick and was out a while and when he came back it was his first day on a 160 ... funny thing was I got paid the two hours , yet he schooled me more about the job than I schooled him on the 160 ... :P

Sweet jobs ... did you get picked out or just didn't want to travel there anymore?

Cool job to have , but yeah , I get it , extensive WAA isn't always that great and CI yard for 4 hours day in and day out can quickly get old ... I still don't know if I'll be picking or not , I'm at the top of the xtra xtra list but unless something is up that they revise things , I'm scheduled to pick in the first hour on the last day which was the same time and day last pick so I don't get it ... my file number is 350XX ... I would imagine I should get something ... If I have to be xtra xtra all summer long again I am seriously considering (if they let me take one) , taking a two month leave of absence and using a little of my nest egg during that time ... I'm not feeling like riding the board 3 hours every day at Stillwell and then traveling to the far ends of the system in 95 degree humid weather ... been there , done that last summer but wasn't as bad then as it is now with the constant board reports ... at this point I'd pick guarding the bumper blocks in the relay at 179 before I'd want to be xtra xtra for another pick ... lol :):):)

Archived