Favorite/Least favorite line to work (C/Rs and T/Os respond only please!)

Rutgers Tube

I still don't know if I'll be picking or not , I'm at the top of the xtra xtra list but unless something is up that they revise things , I'm scheduled to pick in the first hour on the last day which was the same time and day last pick so I don't get it ... my file number is 350XX ... I would imagine I should get something ... If I have to be xtra xtra all summer long again I am seriously considering (if they let me take one) , taking a two month leave of absence and using a little of my nest egg during that time ...

If your at the top of the XX List, you should have a single digit trick number, nothing to do with your file number. You'll have some choices to pick from, nothing great, but the same each week. Talk to the Pick Man at 179, he's good & can probably tell you approximately when the last jobs will go. I was XXL over 4 1/2 years, and will NEVER pick an Extra job again! For me, after the first two years, I pretty much was able to finagle working around eastern queens, with a travel day here & there to pay the piper.. Unfortunately, The current crew at the dispatch office only care about themselves & covering openings, not the people who they're giving assignments to.. As for a leave, with the current economy, I'd leave the nest egg alone.. Summer is senior TO Vacation time.. Rookies as myself have vacation outside of that June to Sept window.. If you can pull the leave off, you may "owe" them the two months when you look to retire.. I don't think leaves are credited as work time at NYCERS.

If you can pull the leave off, you may "owe" them the two months when you look to retire.. I don't think leaves are credited as work time at NYCERS.

Any days off that you don't get paid for are considered "bad time" and must be made up at the end unless you're giving them more than 25 years like most of us because of age. Even if you're out sick and have no sick days those days are bad time days.

Thanks for the advice , much appreciated ...

Although I can afford it , It was more wishful thinking than an actual serious plan to put in for the leave of absence ... lol ...

Besides , because of the vacations , I am fairly certain you'd need a real good , verifiable excuse to take a leave of absence ...

We'll see what happens , if I pick , I pick , if not , then that's how it goes... I really don't mind extra extra , it's the board reports that are the deal breaker for me .. plenty of guys love it for the OT , me , my time is more important to me ... either way that's the job

I spent 2 1/2 years on the Extra Extra list but it wasn't that bad. Yeah the board reports where a Pain I be at 207 or Bedford then every once in awhile they wanted me to pick up a job in Eastern QNS or Coney Island.

One time I spend the day just deadheading. I was on Board 13:00 on the (A) 207 Street. At 14:30 I was told to go to Euclid Ave pick up (C) Job in 1 Hour. The T/O booked off and resumed before the scheduled reporting time to I am still on the board but staying at Euclid Ave as of 15:30. Then at 17:00 I'm called report to Bedford Pk to pick up a balance of a (D) Job. Then at 19:00 I worked that job to 00:30.

I still don't know if I'll be picking or not , I'm at the top of the xtra xtra list but unless something is up that they revise things , I'm scheduled to pick in the first hour on the last day which was the same time and day last pick so I don't get it ... my file number is 350XX ... I would imagine I should get something ... If I have to be xtra xtra all summer long again I am seriously considering (if they let me take one) , taking a two month leave of absence and using a little of my nest egg during that time ... I'm not feeling like riding the board 3 hours every day at Stillwell and then traveling to the far ends of the system in 95 degree humid weather ... been there , done that last summer but wasn't as bad then as it is now with the constant board reports ... at this point I'd pick guarding the bumper blocks in the relay at 179 before I'd want to be xtra xtra for another pick ... lol :):):P

Well, I performed a job count and estimated that there is a 20% chance that the pick will last into Monday the 11th. I would also say that the chances of you picking a job without being on the first page of the call sheets for Monday are remote.

Talk to the Pick Man at 179, he's good & can probably tell you approximately when the last jobs will go.

Yeah, but watch out for him as he'll try to pilfer your lunch money while you suffer trying to find a job which doesn't have Tuesday/Wednesday off.

Archived