Some quick questions

neobot85

Hey all - new here to the forums. I'm a regular subway rider...always been interested in trains and such. It must be pretty awesome to do what you guys do (although from reading the forums the hours seem to not be so great sometimes). I was wondering if you guys could give some insight into some things I always wondered about...these are probably pretty dumb questions from your POV, so bear with me :)

1. On the R142s, how does the train know where it is when it does station announcements? Does the T/O or C/O have to indicate what station it is? Or it's automatic?

2. Those announcements on the R142 about the MTA checking bags, etc....are those initiated by the T/O or C/O? Or are they just done randomly?

3. How do you know what speed to go at? I know there are indicators that will tell you what to slow down to at certain parts of the track, but if they're all green, do you just go up to some max speed?

4. Why is it that the horn goes off some time for long periods of time? Are the T/O's warning track workers? There were a few times where the horn went off every few seconds for the entire time I was on the train.

I think that's it for now....just curious. Thanks!! :cool:

1. It's automatic. The route is programmed before the route and the announcements are made accordingly.

2. That I don't know. I always thought that they were started by the C/R to pass the time when the train is moving slow or at a stop. A T/O, C/R will have to answer that for you.

3. There's a speed limit given to you every now and then for a particular section. It can be 25, 30, 40, etc. It depends on which line it is. Again, a T/O (and C/R) can clarify.

4. Yeah, its to warn track crew to clear. That's why those long train horns are accompanied by a sharp decrease in speed.

1. The train knows how many wheel revolutions it is to each station and changes the map/announcements accordingly.

2. They are played by the C/R manually.

3. There are speed limit signs where there are restricted speeds, and timing signals. If there aren't any, the speed is the maximum speed, although I don't know what it is.

#2. Someone had stated that a bulliten went out saying that those anouncment messages are to be played every 15 minutes or so. They are played by the C/R who can choose several different anouncments to play such as the one about holding doors or asking people to throw garbage away and not on the tracks.

The horn is also used to notify passengers that the train is not going to stop and for the passengers to stand back since the train is speeding through.

Yeah true, but wouldn't the horn be blown in short bursts? Even if, they don't pass right on through. The T/Os are supposed to slow down to a certain limit while bypassing the station.

3:

like mentioned before, speed is regulated by signal timers. http://www.nycsubway.org/tech/signals/timesig.html

if there are no timers, or the preceding train is far enough down the line, then trains may travel at "maximum speed" (conditions such as construction and maintainance allowing).

maximum speed varies:

there are three points (notches) of power on a NYC subway car: inch/switch, series, and parallel.

a train's speed tends to balance out at around 40 mph when the T/O has it in the third notch and it is running on level track.

when a train is climbing, top speed tends to be around 20 mph.

when decending down a tunnel, a train can hit close to 60 mph, providing that there are no timer restricting the train's speed.

keep in mind that maximum speed is also affected by the type of rolling stock. the older stock (R32-R68) tend to accelerate slower than the newer stock (R142-R160), although the balancing speed on level track is still around 40 mph for both. also, since the older stock accelerates slower, it takes them longer to get to their maximum speed than the newer stock.

http://www.nycsubway.org/tech/signals/sign.html

I've noticed that the conductors love hitting the "do not block the doors" announcement after the train has just spent five minutes waiting for one guy to bring his bag into the train. It's kind of like...being passive-aggressive.

Hey all - new here to the forums. I'm a regular subway rider...always been interested in trains and such. It must be pretty awesome to do what you guys do (although from reading the forums the hours seem to not be so great sometimes). I was wondering if you guys could give some insight into some things I always wondered about...these are probably pretty dumb questions from your POV, so bear with me :P

1. On the R142s, how does the train know where it is when it does station announcements? Does the T/O or C/O have to indicate what station it is? Or it's automatic?

It's programmed into the route at the beginning. The train knows where it is from a starting location based on wheel revolutions. If the train gets rerouted, the route can be changed along the way.

2. Those announcements on the R142 about the MTA checking bags, etc....are those initiated by the T/O or C/O? Or are they just done randomly?

Done by the conductor.

3. How do you know what speed to go at? I know there are indicators that will tell you what to slow down to at certain parts of the track, but if they're all green, do you just go up to some max speed?

Look closely, you will see yellow signs in the tunnel that contain posted speed limits. It's more complicated than that, but these enforce speeds throughout the system in conjunction with the signal system and switches (some speed restrictions only apply when taking a diverging route on a switch). I won't get into further detail than that unless you want me to since it's hard to explain unless you know/recognize these signs and then can begin to understand what they mean and how they fit into overall train operation

4. Why is it that the horn goes off some time for long periods of time? Are the T/O's warning track workers? There were a few times where the horn went off every few seconds for the entire time I was on the train.

I think that's it for now....just curious. Thanks!! :cool:

The horn is used to communicate, so it could mean any number of things. If you are running express on the local, the horn warns passengers that the train will not stop, and that they should stand back. The train will still slow down, but after the first car clears station lengths, it will speed up again. The horn can also warn workers in the tunnel of the approach of the train, and can also be used to acknowledge light signals given by track workers. Particularly if you rode late at night there are a lot of crews out and about so this is done for their safety, so that's probably why you heard the horn so much - track gangs working.

The rule books guide to horns.

Rule 3.61

TRAIN HORN OR WHISTLE SIGNALS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

NOTE: Signals prescribed are listed “o” for short sounds and “–––––” for longer sounds.

Each sound should be distinct, with intensity and duration proportionate to the

signal to be conveyed.

SOUND INDICATION

3.61(a) ____ Apply brakes immediately —- STOP

3.61(:P ____ ____ Sounded when passing caution lights or flags to

warn personnel of the approach of a train.

3.61© o o An answer to any signal.

3.61(d) o o o Road Car Inspector to respond to the train.

3.61(e) ___o Signal Maintainer to respond to the train.

3.61(f) ___o___o Train Crew needs (Police) Assistance.

3.61(g) o o o o Train request to Tower Operator or handswitcher

for route or signal.

3.61(h) Succession of Short Sounds A warning to persons on or near the trackway

or when a train is operating against the normal

direction of traffic, when a train is making

an irregular move, or bypassing stations when

entering or leaving.

NOTE: The horn or whistle must NOT be sounded when operating over sections of track

that are outdoors (on elevated structures, embankments and in open cuts), during

the period between 2100 Hrs and 0600 Hrs, unless an emergency exists or personnel

are on the trackway. This does not apply to work trains at work sites or

pre-trip inspections.

Archived