Question about a retired Bus..

mark1447

Hey guys, I wanted to ask a question.. This bus:

busmain.jpg

Is this an Orion bus or something? And why was its retired so early? I remember ridding these back in 98/99 on the Manhattan 2, after that I havent seen since then =/? Were these prototypes of the Orion VII CNG/Hybrids or something?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I have no idea, but NJT didn't want them.

There was a topic about this recently. (Check out Orion's recent busfan topics)

IIRC, some of the Orion VI's were ordered by NJT. But due to the axles on the buses being too heavy to operate under CDOT conditions, NJT sold it to the MTA since OBI didn't want to redesign the VI.

The Orion VI was basically a test fleet for the Orion VII. I rode on an Orion VI about 3 times on the M1 back in September 2003. IIRC, the only depots to have them were MCH and MV.

thanks for reasponding on that part. Im guessing there is none in service outside MaBSTOA?

The bus in the picture is an Orion VI (06.501). They were Orion's first full-length low floor model, and served as prototypes for much of the tech used on the Orion VII. They were only manufactured from 1998 to 2004 due to serious issues including exploding battery equalizers, violently flammable engines, and major power steering issues. The first four of these buses were purchased by NJT as numbers 4000-4004, but NJT rejected the order and (MTA) picked them up as 6350-6353. IDK where 6354-6359 came from though. These buses ran out of MHV and MCH for a year or two, but they were pulled OOS following serious issues in service.The last of these buses was sent to the scrapper a few days ago, so MTA no longer has any.

Archived