(Fake) signs of bad times for the MTA

Trainspotter

The writing could soon be on the wall for the MTA.

Disgruntled straphangers have a new way to vent their frustrations at looming fare hikes and service cuts - creating their own notices that tell commuters about schedule changes.

The Web site whereandy.com offers subway riders the chance to give authorities a piece of their mind - or display any message of their choosing - by printing off signs like those commonly seen on the walls and columns of subway stations.

The site's creator, Andy Cheung, says he is not out to make a political statement, just to let people make their voices heard.

"It's really just kind of a joke," said Cheung, 29. "I'm not really that political at all. I thought it would be a fun way for people to blow off some steam."

Cheung's site has actually been up and running since 2006, shortly after the December 2005, three-day subway strike, when he says large numbers of people began downloading posters for fun.

But he has noticed another big uptick in visitors in recent weeks - which coincides with the MTA's plans to raise fares up to 30% and enact widespread service cuts, including the elimination of dozens of bus routes.

The state Legislature has failed to adopt an MTA bailout plan, months after a state commission released a transit-funding proposal that the Transit Authority hoped would avert harsh hikes.

Cheung, who now lives in Holland, says commuters have free rein to pick whatever subway line they want to make a comment about and then print off whatever sign they choose.

Previous posters pictured on the site have messages such as: "This train is not going where you want," "You should have left earlier" and "You better start walking."

"Thousands and thousands of people have used [the site]," Cheung said. "People really did take to it."

BY Christina Boyle

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

April 19th 2009

i doubt the mta will listen to the people...

instead they are in a huge pool full of money waitin for a second truck full of loads from albany to be dropped in.. I think its time for a new agency...

Archived