NS SD40-2 spotted on trash train duty

metsfan

That's right. I saw the sleek old bucket of bolts hooked to one end of the trash train next to the PATH line somewhere just before JSQ station.

They seem to put very quirky/old stuff on that line there. They should put wire back up and order a freight geared ALP-45dp to round out the sideshow. :cool:

- A

I have heard nothing but bad things about the E33, the older guys I know who ran them say they would rather have a GG1! Now that would be neat to see in NS or CSX colors!

E3b was used often up thar:

pc4977ags.jpg

E44 also:

3368.1105214340.jpg

The P5a was also popular for freight:

prr4719.jpg

:tup:

- A

Yeeeaaa. They could easily put dah powah back up along most of the lines in NJ and many of them in PA.

Key in this is the catenary towers are largely still there, some of them still have the wire, but no electric power. I believe the ROW that i saw this NS loco on could be re-electrified, and simply hand off to diesel when the wire as it was ends. I don't think it would cost that much, and you could easily save the cost in diesel the first operational year.

I have a feeling that the next 10-15 years will see freight roads, and pax roads begin to both re-electrify and put totally new stuff in. It just makes sense. You could also re-activate old yards currently unused like the one at trenton.

Eventually our oil will run out, and people are predicting this within 50 years, so it's time to start at least planning this stuff. :eek:

- A

I thought it was dumb not rebuilding the yard in Trenton to do what Morrisville does now for (NJT). They could have also included :septa:so it would cost less and they would have had the same facility they have now across the river. A shop/yard in Trenton would mean they could store both agencies trains and at the same time free up Trenton on weekends. Its ridiculous how Septa lays over the Push-Pull set and Silverliner sets in the Station, it confuses many people.

Electric Freight? Well...there was a rumor BNSF was playing around with this idea. I know the yard by me Browns Yard was once electrified. The older guys that used to work there who I know remember when they had the electric power. Like I said they hated the 33's, they said the 44(E44 not alp:p) was better, but if they got a G they were much happier but G's were rare. Anyway they remember when the power came down and they all thought how dumb that was.

The substation for the lines actually still provides power for some towns, so in theory all that needs to be done is string up the wire! Heres a shot of Browns Yard the cat wires can be seen.

IMHO I don't know if will ever see electric freight make a comeback, maybe at least in the North East.

Well i think that it's just a matter of time.

A lil update to the original post. I saw the twins (one at each end) in the AM parked as usual, but on my way home on PATH i saw them double heading it away to the west towards the intermodal yard.

Also in the intermodal yard, were 4 brand spanking new multilevels. In the AM they were alone but by the afternoon one of the smaller CSX units had hooked up to them in prep to final delivery at the MMC 2 or 3 tracks over.

- A

Archived