Amtrak getting it done

Dre Day

As the money come in Amtrak said that there are some things that they want to get done. As you know seeing is believing. Today I coming home from DC and I saw some P40's in Washington in Ivy City being worked on. Also in Wilmington shop there are 4 P40's getting worked on. Then those cars that we all see in storage way in the back were being pulled out by the 576 getting ready to go to bear for the upgrades. Im getting excited because the work is starting to get done. Also I meant to tell you guys that I saw the 664 which was out of service for a while with a fresh new paint job and it looks like its ready to go.

Met I've been trying to figure out what they are going to do with the speeds. President Obama and Mr J. Boardman (Amtrak's CEO) are stating that they want to increase the speed on the NEC and outside Corridors. On the NEC Im wondering if they are going to replace the catenary? Constant tenstion wires would do the trick in some parts. I've heard something to the affect they were going to do this but I dont know.

The way to make Amtrak successful is to create mini corridors outside the NEC. I know that some exsist but there needs to be more, Corridors that can handle 110mph or better operations. If this can happen Amtrak would be in business. Like I said before this is a start to something good.

Met I've been trying to figure out what they are going to do with the speeds. President Obama and Mr J. Boardman (Amtrak's CEO) are stating that they want to increase the speed on the NEC and outside Corridors. On the NEC Im wondering if they are going to replace the catenary? Constant tenstion wires would do the trick in some parts. I've heard something to the affect they were going to do this but I dont know.

The way to make Amtrak successful is to create mini corridors outside the NEC. I know that some exsist but there needs to be more, Corridors that can handle 110mph or better operations. If this can happen Amtrak would be in business. Like I said before this is a start to something good.

Dre Day I like your thinking with the 110mph corridors, we need to start with that and take it from there rushing into HSR is a big mistake. Also they did mention the P40's would be coming back in someway. Glad to hear 664 is alive and well btw!

Replacing the wooden ties and even beefing up the current wire would allow for much faster speeds without that much $.

I think the curve at elizabeth and the other curves could be softened even more, but that is a much larger more expensive project.

There are several high speed switches that the acela uses to get around slower trains between stations, making all switches like this with heavy horizontal bracing and guide rails would make it even better, not having to take switches at 30-40 mph.

The only other issue i can think of is when 2 multilevel trains or a multilevel and a viewliner/horizon dining car pass on the one curve you gotta slow down so they don't wobble into each other. Maybe space the tracks out a lil more where possible.

Also, you could do constant tension 1 block length at a time as the $ is available. Do this the entire NEC boston to DC and all other electrified lines.

Electrify from harrisburg to chicago. Not a major project per se, but it would be a major undertaking. I think at least that one makes sense. It is after all one of the corridors being looked at & would allow keystone corridor to be used more.

- A

Is Amtrak planning a gradual conversion of all catenary to constant tension?

I know MNR is planning to get the whole of the New Haven line constant tension by 2018.

Never heard of the multilevel passing restriction.

What kinda upsetting is Amtrak could of had the New Rochelle to New Haven but they didnt take it. This could have saved more time going to Boston by ungrading the speeds in the area. About the Elizabeth curve, there is really nothing you can do about that because if you notice a new building just went up for Union College.

Archived